Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-03-2019, 07:52   #31
flazio

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-10 View Post
When is the last time you have seen Everton describe themselves as Catholic?

Religion is not part of football
Try telling that to the Scottish Old Firm.
Also some good points about Irish player not being what they used to be, but the seeds are already sown, our parents supported British clubs so we do too. Same as a lot of countries really.
Advertisement
09-03-2019, 07:53   #32
Edenmoar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade1 View Post
We made good goalposts and fishing nets for nets in our back garden in the 70's.
All the kids in the area would call where a match would take place most days during the 70'and 80's.
We dreamt of being the players we saw on the T.V. and read about.
Nobody would have aspired to be a L.O.I. player.
Jumpers for goal posts, isn’t it?
09-03-2019, 07:54   #33
8-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by flazio View Post
Try telling that to the Scottish Old Firm.
That’s a topic for a different thread. The OP is basically saying Irish Catholics should support Everton just like they should support Celtic.

I disagree with both, we should be far past using religion as the basis for doing anything. We have free will, we are no longer obliged to follow the church blindly

But overall I don’t even agree with the assertion the Everton is a Catholic club and Liverpool isn’t. Both are far more diverse and international these days, I don’t think that opinion is based in reality. If they’re officially Catholic they don’t show it and haven’t mentioned it anytime recently
(3) thanks from:
09-03-2019, 07:56   #34

What I can never understand is how English teams are made up of foreign players.
Their top player is "Luciani mato Gestapo", yet the team is named "insert English town" United.
09-03-2019, 07:57   #35
8-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by demanufactured View Post
What I can never understand is how English teams are made up of foreign players.
Their top player is "Luciani mato Gestapo", yet the team is named "insert English town" United.
Luis Amour Rodriguez at Harchester United

Story checks out
Advertisement
09-03-2019, 07:57   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by demanufactured View Post
Google Bosman ruling. Players a lot freer to follow the money.
09-03-2019, 08:05   #37
Achasanai

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFTLEFTHAND View Post
I just could never get why most of Dublin and the rest of the country supported the English league .

MOTD and live matches would have been the start of it. Not everyone's interest in football is going to see it week-in and week-out. It's handy having it on the tv, particularly so if you're a kid. A kid will usually support whoever is successful at the time which makes sense if the tv thing is true. The elaborate stories about how you chose the one team that your father hated, just as a way to annoy him, the team just happening to turn out to be Chelsea, these would come later.
09-03-2019, 08:06   #38
Ardillaun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFTLEFTHAND View Post
I getting all this Liverpool sh1t at the moment . Boys in my local crying about them. Why don't they support Everton? The Catholic club in the city.
That's another historical fact lost in the wash. My Liverpudlian cousins were all fanatical Everton fans but the whole thing wasn't that overt even in my time unlike the Glasgow rivalry. I think Liverpool's pre-Fergie dominance created a legion of new Irish supporters which is why I would urge any oligarch with hot money to park to find a smaller London club. Loyalty can be bought.

Last edited by Ardillaun; 09-03-2019 at 08:12.
09-03-2019, 08:06   #39
Omackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar MIA View Post
TL/DR LOI is literally not in the same league as the PL
Nobody thinks it is. Nobody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar MIA View Post
While I wish them well any sanctimonious LOI fan incredulous as to how any Irish person could follow English teams (and we can use that term loosely given the number of actual English players in each team) fan, respectfully, DO ONE!
I love how you finished that with the most English of English sayings. Hope that was intentional. Bang of Jeremy Kyle off it
Advertisement
09-03-2019, 08:08   #40
Omackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardillaun View Post
Our best players aren't major stars over there any more. I grew up supporting Man U, George Best intitially, in the First Division but the Champions League is the ultimate level in terms of quality now and the players in the top teams are drawn from the same countries as the Premiership.
Who wants to tell him...
Thanks from:
09-03-2019, 08:09   #41
Omackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardillaun View Post
Our best players aren't major stars over there any more. I grew up supporting Man U, George Best intitially, in the First Division but the Champions League is the ultimate level in terms of quality now and the players in the top teams are drawn from the same countries as the Premiership.
Who wants to tell him...
09-03-2019, 08:10   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omackeral View Post
Nobody thinks it is. Nobody.

So the thread is answered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omackeral View Post

I love how you finished that with the most English of English sayings. Hope that was intentional. Bang of Jeremy Kyle off it
Obvious is obvious.

Last edited by Avatar MIA; 09-03-2019 at 08:14.
09-03-2019, 08:11   #43
rafatoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkiernan View Post
A lot of Irish really wish they were English, I reckon.
what you talkin about Guvnor
09-03-2019, 08:13   #44
Yamanoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achasanai View Post
MOTD and live matches would have been the start of it.
Club like Everton had considerable support in Dublin from the 1920's onwards. Support for other English teams would also have long preceded MOTD.
(2) thanks from:
09-03-2019, 08:14   #45
Edenmoar
Banned

Any irish person who says “Do one” should be excecuted

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size