Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

A catholic teach hit jan in school.

Cos he was catholic.

His /her words. Only yesterday.

Totally untrue, I did not say that. Reported.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

10-15 years
    You did though. Have it flagged. Just provided it to a mod.
    Let’s stop there. No interest in engaging like this.

Moving on.
    Wilson’s comments speak volumes. As do mays.

They clearly are afraid of something post brexit.
    DUP support crumbling at home and in Westminster I’d bet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

You did though.

No I did not. Reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

janfebmar wrote: »
    Totally untrue, I did not say that. Reported.
    janfebmar wrote: »
    No I did not. Reported.

Cut it out. Can any of you take a break, even if only for a short while?

dudara

20-30 years
    Government set to reject EU proposal to end daylight savings time

And the principal reason:
    The Government is set to oppose an EU proposal to end daylight savings time because it could mean Northern Ireland and the Republic being in different time zones, among other concerns.... In Ireland, should Brexit go ahead and the UK decides to keep the summertime clock change, clocks in Northern Ireland would continue to go forward an hour on the last Sunday of March and back one hour on the last Sunday of October. Clocks in the Republic would remain unaltered, with both parts of the island out of step for seven months every year.

The UK is also opposed to the proposal

Yet another example of our policies as an independent state being held to ransom because of the British state's continuing presence in this country. Flanagan and this government should stop allowing Irish policy to be determined by the Europhobic impulses of Brexiteers.

• Advertisement

Meh. Tons of places around the world deal with hour changes when stepping over an invisible line.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,174 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Yet another example of our policies as an independent state being held to ransom because of the British state's continuing presence in this country. Flanagan and this government should stop allowing Irish policy to be determined by the Europhobic impulses of Brexiteers.

I don't see that a problem with different time zones between Dublin and Belfast is any different to a problem with different time zones between Dublin and London.

Nothing to stop us as an independent state setting our own policies.

20-30 years
    blanch152 wrote: »
    Nothing to stop us as an independent state setting our own policies.

Exactly; there shouldn't be but as with VAT rates and much else Irish governments look over their backs to see what's happening in the North. In this case, Flanagan has not got the basic courage to do so and his principal reason for resisting the change is because the North would then be in a separate timezone to the South.

10-15 years
    It’s almost like Dublin is standing in the present and ni insists on being stuck in the past

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

10-15 years
    Exactly; there shouldn't be but as with VAT rates and much else Irish governments look over their backs to see what's happening in the North. In this case, Flanagan has not got the basic courage to do so and his principal reason for resisting the change is because the North would then be in a separate timezone to the South.

Nothing to stop stormont adobting same timezone as the free state afaik?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66,832 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

_blaaz wrote: »
    Nothing to stop stormont adobting same timezone as the free state afaik?

Some of them are still in 1690. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,498 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ulster Says No. It will never happen
    Nobody should have to relocate.
    If you want independence from the UK and everybody is for it then set up your own republic and we can go back to open borders, that way you have the best of both worlds. And the Irish people, that's those in the Republic, won't be completely broke.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Nobody should have to relocate.
    Totally agree. My preference would be that people give it a go. However in the poll I linked, 18% said they couldn't live with a UI, Arlene Foster being principal among them
    If you want independence from the UK and everybody is for it then set up your own republic and we can go back to open borders, that way you have the best of both worlds. And the Irish people, that's those in the Republic, won't be completely broke.

Like the anti-UI demographic, an independent NI has no political voice that is bringing that option to the fore.

The parties that will have that voice are growing in NI going by the European elections.

The parties that will have that voice are growing in NI going by the European elections.

Which party has called for an independent NI?

Which party has called for an independent NI?
    I didn't say they have yet.

I didn't say they have yet.

I'll wait so.

BTW I'll wait too to see if votes have been parked with Alliance in the latest elections, which is what I suspect happened in the EU and local elections.

Totally agree. My preference would be that people give it a go. However in the poll I linked, 18% said they couldn't live with a UI, Arlene Foster being principal among them

Like the anti-UI demographic, an independent NI has no political voice that is bringing that option to the fore.

What is the anti-UI demographic?

What is the anti-UI demographic?

Those who are anti a UI.

10-15 years
    All the kids going nuts for an app what you look like when your older.
    Here’s ireland now.
    No wrinkles. Or borders.

File:Ireland_(MODIS).jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

10-15 years

The Government is set to oppose an EU proposal to end daylight savings time because it could mean Northern Ireland and the Republic being in different time zones, among other concerns.... In Ireland, should Brexit go ahead and the UK decides to keep the summertime clock change, clocks in Northern Ireland would continue to go forward an hour on the last Sunday of March and back one hour on the last Sunday of October. Clocks in the Republic would remain unaltered, with both parts of the island out of step for seven months every year.

The UK is also opposed to the proposal

Has anyone in Ireland complained about the current clocks forward and back system?

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Dytalus

15-20 years
    RobMc59 wrote: »
    Has anyone in Ireland complained about the current clocks forward and back system?

A while back the government had an online public consultation on the matter, asking whether people would like to remove DST and if so, whether they'd prefer wintertime or summertime.

They never released the results, but based on my (admittedly anecdotal) experience of online discussion boards, reddit, workplace and personal conversation most individuals seemed to want summertime along with the abolishing of DST. The results may be recoverable under an FoI request but...that takes weeks and is an awful lot of effort.

Granted I can easily imagine a lot of people living in the border communities may be against it now. Having the school your child goes to, or the office you work in, one hour out of sync can make things confusing. But certain US areas run into the same situation (Arizona, for example. Within Indiana, it even comes down to individual counties which really make it complicated - 12 of 80 counties in Indiana observe a different time zone to the rest) and manage just fine. I don't see a need for Ireland to avoid it just because the UK isn't doing it.

10-15 years
    This has come up a fair bit the past few years.
    I can’t understand why anyone would want to drop it to one standard time.
    But for two different regions in such a relatively small island with the insane amount of over and back across the border so many have to do every day, it really makes no sense at all.
    Just leave it as it is.

Those who are anti a UI.

Why do you have to paint them in a negative?

You could describe them as unionists if they live in the North or status quo Irish if they live in the South.

Using negative pejorative labels doesn't create a healthy atmosphere for discussion and debate.

Why do you have to paint them in a negative?

You could describe them as unionists if they live in the North or status quo Irish if they live in the South.

Using negative pejorative labels doesn't create a healthy atmosphere for discussion and debate.

eh...because to me an 'anti-UI' position is a negative position?

20-30 years
    James Nesbitt's reflective and nuanced interview in The Irish Times was worth reading:

James Nesbitt interview: Irish, Northern Irish, Protestant and proud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

10-15 years
    James Nesbitt's reflective and nuanced interview in The Irish Times was worth reading:

James Nesbitt interview: Irish, Northern Irish, Protestant and proud

I think it's important for everyone to realise religion should be taken out of the equation. There are victims of religious persecution but times are changing and Protestants in the south have no more or less rights and freedoms as any other religion. IMO the only way of life Unionists might genuinely be fearful of losing is being top dog and having the upper hand, being able to hold Westminster hostage etc. When Ireland is united they'll lose that hold. That, IMO, is the only reason the Unionists could be fearful and likely are reluctant to be part of the modern world too. It's an image to be seen to be 'traditional'.

eh...because to me an 'anti-UI' position is a negative position?

Well, you should try and view everyone in a positive light.

Those who are in favour of maintaining the current constitutional status quo remember the 1970s and 1980s when daily IRA atrocities brought this nation's name into the dirt. They have seen the peace of the last 25 years and the stability that the GFA has brought. They want to see this positive change continue.

Those who agitate for a border poll when there is no sign that it will be passed are the negative ones, trying to upset the current balance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

10-15 years
    Well, you should try and view everyone in a positive light.

Those who are in favour of maintaining the current constitutional status quo remember the 1970s and 1980s when daily IRA atrocities brought this nation's name into the dirt. They have seen the peace of the last 25 years and the stability that the GFA has brought. They want to see this positive change continue.

Those who agitate for a border poll when there is no sign that it will be passed are the negative ones, trying to upset the current balance.

While Nationalist ans Catholics had a jolly old time of it?
    You often complain about people dragging up historical augments and here you are being a hypocrite again, not to mention a revisionist one.

The current status quo is only 'constitutional' because it's built on a bloody crooked foundation.

• Advertisement

While Nationalist ans Catholics had a jolly old time of it?
    You often complain about people dragging up historical augments and here you are being a hypocrite again, not to mention a revisionist one.

The current status quo is only 'constitutional' because it's built on a bloody crooked foundation.

It is such an obscenely demeaning outlook to have on your own people. And it wasn't just a slip of the tongue, this is his very entrenched position or view of the tragedy that happened on this island which he shares with a few (thankfully) other posters.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement