Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The glorious 12th

• 10-07-2019 7:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I see where there is a gigantic pile of pallets stacked up in an estate in Portadown which the fire service regard as a 'serious health and safety risk'. Apparently 30+ firms have been approached to remove/dismantle it but nobody will touch it. One things for certain if that was some years ago in a nationalist area the British army would be steaming in like a flash to dismantle it and anything else that was in its way.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

The extremists on both sides who build these things are complete knack bags but unfortunately there seems to be a hell of a lot of that sort of people up North.

I despise bonfires in general as they seem to be a magnet for trouble makers and general cnuts not to mention the damage they do to the environment.

Look how close it is to people's houses and blocks of flats. Madness
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-48926982

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Unfortunately it's not just knack bags as you put it.

We have Reverends in the north who want these things built and defend the builders. Politicians too.

It's a real classless culture. Most normal people in the world, if you asked them what culture was, would talk about art, music, drama, poetry etc. But culture to some is building a huge bonfire wherever they want, threatening people if they talk about moving it, loading it with tyres to poison the air, putting property at risk, and putting photos of people on it to express your sectarianism and racism.

Yeah, that's culture NI style.

Apparently 30+ firms have been approached to remove/dismantle it but nobody will touch it°

Let them burn effigies at the campfire. As long they're not torching cars or threatening the lives of innocents.

Let them burn effigies at the campfire. As long they're not torching cars or threatening the lives of innocents.

But they are threatening lives of innocents

People in Armagh have been sent a letter from their housing association telling them to leave their homes for the night for their own safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Boxing.Fan

My Birthday :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ciarang85

There's more culture in a yogurt than there is in that shower

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I see where there is a gigantic pile of pallets stacked up in an estate in Portadown which the fire service regard as a 'serious health and safety risk'. Apparently 30+ firms have been approached to remove/dismantle it but nobody will touch it. One things for certain if that was some years ago in a nationalist area the British army would be steaming in like a flash to dismantle it and anything else that was in its way.

Went past that on Sunday.
    Mother of god it’s enormous, bigger each year.

Isn’t that one meant to be lit tonight?

Do you not remember a couple of years back the huge one in Belfast city centre melted the windows of an apartment block and there was a legal row as to who was responsible for fixing them?

Let's have a look at what stuff they burn on it this year, see how inclusive these folk are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

It's a little bit more than a 'campfire' to be fair. It's ironic that like all these expressions of culture they take place in the poorer areas where residents are generally regarded like **** on the shoes of the people in power. I doubt if there will be any huge bonfires on the Malone road or anywhere near Nigel Dodds gaff or Paisleys house.

• Advertisement

The Glorious 12th is in August.

There is nothing glorious about that backwater anniversary up there each July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Mickey Harte shouldn’t have apologized for the team singing ‘Ra tunes on the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

NIMAN wrote: »
    Unfortunately it's not just knack bags as you put it.

We have Reverends in the north who want these things built and defend the builders. Politicians too.

It's a real classless culture. Most normal people in the world, if you asked them what culture was, would talk about art, music, drama, poetry etc. But culture to some is building a huge bonfire wherever they want, threatening people if they talk about moving it, loading it with tyres to poison the air, putting property at risk, and putting photos of people on it to express your sectarianism and racism.

Yeah, that's culture NI style.

Journalist Peter hitchens ( not someone who would favour a united Ireland) put it well during a documentary about the North some years ago while observing a bonfire event where the tri colour was burned

" one wonders if the best way to celebrate one's own culture is by denigrating someone else's"

• Registered Users Posts: 43,017 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It’s a very impressive build

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Is the bonfire itself the night of the 11th ?

It certainly is and the thing is they then go and burn it down!

BBC saying that one is due to be lit tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

It's massive ! like a building, how the hell does it stay stable, is there many injuries of lads falling when they are putting pallets on the top ??

BBC saying that one is due to be lit tonight.
    Portadown loyalists like to get their bigotry in first.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

There is nothing glorious about that backwater anniversary up there each July.

An annual shïtshow, anyone with any sense would avoid the place or get out of there. And to think people seriously considering having anything to do with the pondlife up there.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

The bigger your Bonfire the smaller your Cock .

And the way the Loyalists / Unionists / Protestants are doing in the demographic stakes its seems they are not using their Cocks either .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭BobMc

The will is not there to dismantle them from law enforcement either,

Why cant they dismantle under armed police as soon as building starts, go back everyday or multiple times per day to
    dismantle, these things take weeks to build I'm guessing, wheres the will to prevent its building in the first place.

I think we're never going to reach a proper complete settlement of the differences in the north EVER !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

After Brexit Leo will Fix the North with Photo Shoots >

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Not sure what you're on about there, the army dismantling bonfires? maybe during the Troubles ..... Anyway, the army aren't patrolling estates anymore, as the terrorists threat is minimal.

Never could understand the bonfires on the 12th though, it's steeped in the history and tradition of one of the two big tribes! Seems very important to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭steves2

Someone should tell them what the ORANGE part of the tricolour stands for. The clue is in the name. I actually think we should abandon the tricolour as a flag, it's meaningless and made up and clearly is lost on the very people it's supposed to include.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Couldnt they march off the Giants Causeway and keep going?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Not sure what you're on about there, the army dismantling bonfires? maybe during the Troubles ..... Anyway, the army aren't patrolling estates anymore, as the terrorists threat is minimal.

Never could understand the bonfires on the 12th though, it's steeped in the history and tradition of one of the two big tribes! Seems very important to them.
    I never said the army were patrolling estates but there is still an army presence in the north. So if the fire service say there is a serious risk surely the council have a responsibility to get it dismantled one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Thanks. I thought my calendar was ****ed.
    12 posts in before correction?

And I don't get the yogurt sleight either. It has a lot of culture. We are going to need a better analogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Highlights from previous years include seeing a motorist driving into gathered crowds. (repeatedly)

• Advertisement

And don't forget that many of these shows of culture receive taxpayers funding.

We are paying for these hate fests.

Advertisement