Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Free BT Sports and Eir Sports

Options
1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,904 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

lpool2k05 wrote: »
    Its also at least 1 minute behind on via the chromecast.. So anybody who gets annoyed by that you will know what to expect. Just in case you get messages off your mates when a goal has been scored

Which is still a minute in front of el dodgy streamo which half your friends will be watching on anyway.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Full HD is 1080p

Sky do not broadcast in 1080p. Best they do for BT sport is 1080i, So you chromecast at 720p is much the same quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Full HD is 1080p
    I know. I said it was at least 720P. Which also qualifies as HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

I've made use of the free BT Sports from Eir by linking it to my Sky box.
    However I recently cancelled Sky and I'm wondering, will I still be able to watch the BT channels via the Sky box once my sky connection is terminated or do Sky deactivate the viewing card?
    My thinking is that if Sky deactivate that viewing card, my free BT is gone aswell?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

You don't need to have a working Sky sub. It won't have any effect on your BT Sports.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

I've made use of the free BT Sports from Eir by linking it to my Sky box.
    However I recently cancelled Sky and I'm wondering, will I still be able to watch the BT channels via the Sky box once my sky connection is terminated or do Sky deactivate the viewing card?
    My thinking is that if Sky deactivate that viewing card, my free BT is gone aswell?

thanks

No your grand. The viewing card will be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

No your grand. The viewing card will be fine

But presumably he won't be able to record or timeshift without the sky subscription?

But presumably he won't be able to record or timeshift without the sky subscription?

Correct. eir will just need the viewing card number to enable their channels

It used be the case until recently if you had no viewing card Setanta could post you out one but I think that hasn't happened in a while whatever the story is, I assume you'd just have to try and get one second hand if you lost yours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

You can record and live pause.

Recently the RTE channels are available for viewing/recording/live pause without a Sky sub so dormant Sky viewing cards/boxes are fierce handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

Recently the RTE channels are available for viewing/recording/live pause without a Sky sub so dormant Sky viewing cards/boxes are fierce handy.

When did this start?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Del007

Bang them an email here cs@eirsport.ie

They will send you out a viewing card and also pair it to your box

When did this happen I unknown to myself tried rewinding a live match on BT a fee weeks back and it's wasn't available. They have only BT and no sky sub

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

shmeee wrote: »
    Signed up for this in the home house there a few minutes ago. Just entered the sky card number and the channels are active already, full HD and they havnt got the Sky HD sub which is a nice touch.

No problems, they have eircom regular dsl broadband and not efibre by the way also.

It Could go some way in describing how i got free BT Sports since last Summer, as i was with eircom many moons ago before moving to sky!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

funnyname wrote: »
    When did this start?

It Did'nt

When did this happen I unknown to myself tried rewinding a live match on BT a fee weeks back and it's wasn't available. They have only BT and no sky sub

Its working for me. I have a Sky +HD box with an expired viewing card. I have Eir internet and no TV subscription of any kind.

I can record, live pause and series link channels like BT Sports 1-3, BT ESPN, Box Nation and Eir Sport 1 + 2. In the last few months I can now do that with RTE 1, RTE 2, RTE+1, RTE News Now, TV3, 3e, TV3 +1 and TG4 HD. Same for all the BBC channels and other free view channels. Still no TV3 HD.

I watch the odd RTE program, occasional RTE Soccer and Rugby. Also all the MMA available on BT Sports so it is perfect for me - no subscription required for everything I care about.

Quality bargain.

Note: Maybe it is not working for some people who don't have the viewing card that pairs with their exact HD box?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭batistuta9

How are you getting those Irish channels without a sky sub?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Its working for me. I have a Sky +HD box with an expired viewing card. I have Eir internet and no TV subscription of any kind.

I can record, live pause and series link channels like BT Sports 1-3, BT ESPN, Box Nation and Eir Sport 1 + 2. In the last few months I can now do that with RTE 1, RTE 2, RTE+1, RTE News Now, TV3, 3e, TV3 +1 and TG4 HD. Same for all the BBC channels and other free view channels. Still no TV3 HD.
    Im finding that hard to believe. Is this the same box and viewing card that you previously had a Sky subscription with?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

Also, what colour is the box?
    I have the newer (ish) Black HD box and since I stopped paying a sub, I no longer have access to Irish channels or Live pause, record etc etc.

All I'm going to say is, if this is true then your a jammy git for the handiest hardware/software glitch ever :p

EDIT: to be fair others have reported the same

https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/sky-box-now-recording-without-subscription-2243526

Would ya mind telling us what your viewing card looks like out of interest? Apparently some older obsolete card is what enables it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

Just signed up on the new deal

Wondering what's the BT sport's stream quality like in the eir app and does it freeze on big games

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

mikeysmith wrote: »
    Just signed up on the new deal

Wondering what's the BT sport's stream quality like in the eir app and does it freeze on big games

Watched a bit of Arsenal Utd this evening to check the quality. Stream went down 2 or 3 times in the 15 minutes I watched. Really not acceptable.

I use wifi so I don't know if that is an issue.
    The quality is ok but the movement on screen is a little slow at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Watched a bit of Arsenal Utd this evening to check the quality. Stream went down 2 or 3 times in the 15 minutes I watched. Really not acceptable.

I use wifi so I don't know if that is an issue.
    The quality is ok but the movement on screen is a little slow at times.
    Nah, that's just arsenal...

All I'm going to say is, if this is true then your a jammy git for the handiest hardware/software glitch ever :p

EDIT: to be fair others have reported the same

https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/sky-box-now-recording-without-subscription-2243526

Would ya mind telling us what your viewing card looks like out of interest? Apparently some older obsolete card is what enables it

I had a fair idea it would not work with Sky Q but maybe you are right and newer viewing cards don't allow it either.

Attached is a pic of my box and viewing card:

EDIT: The linked comment explains how it works. My Granny cancelled her subscription and plugged out the box, I took it a year later and it worked perfectly because Sky never got the chance to send a signal to the box to cancel recording functionality. https://www.hotukdeals.com/comments/permalink/28549704

Advertisement