Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pinatubo

Options
  • 19-09-2019 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭

Just interested in how people see this lad progressing from here on. He's compact and built like a tank which screams Sprinter next year, but he's already won three times going away over 7f so a mile next year should be no bother to him.

His pedigree says 8f-10f as a 3yo with Antisana his half sibling by Dubawi ( a bigger stamina influence than Shamardal ) having won at 12f.

His physique says that he's a precocious sort who will lose his advantage over the others as a 3yo. His form stacks up, although those in behind at the Curragh were a bit overrated ( Armory ) going into the race.

Is it a case of Too Darn Hot again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Pinatubo would've destroyed a 2yo Too Darn Hot.

I can't see him being as good next year, if he even runs, I think he'll get "injured" like alot of the Appelby/Godolphin hot pots

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

What was the goldofin one last year won at curragh impressively quarto not seen this year, hope it’s not a repeat

I’ve seen only a dozen or so performances like that in 30 years so was very impressed by him hope he stays right

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Won't be seen as a three year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Motivator

Slattsy wrote: »
    Won't be seen as a three year old.

I don’t know what you’re basing that ridiculous comment on. I was in Meydan in February and Appleby held a questions and answers appearance before racing and told everyone this horse is Godolphin’s great white hope. They’ve not had a 2yo like this on their books in god knows how long, if ever. I’ve no interest in the flat whatsoever, I enjoy the days out it gives but from a punting and enjoyment perspective it means nothing to me. However, the name stuck with me and I’ve watched his runs so far and he has been exceptional. They’ll mop up all the Group 1 races they can with him as a 3/4yo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Fill your boots, as long as it runs nothing will catch it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

The Godolphin record with their star 2yos as 3yos is/was pretty poor. Charlie Appleby is better than previous Godolphin trainers at keeping them on track, but even then his record isn't inspiring either.

In general, such beasts of 2yos don't maintain their advantages as 3yo. Frankel wasn't at this fellas level as a 2yo, despite his wide margin G2 win at Ascot his G1 Dewhurst win was solid but not spectacular.

John Oxx's Manntari was an incredible 10L winner of the National Stakes as a 2yo and won his Guineas trial as a 3yo but flopped in the Irish 2,000 Guineas and was never seen on the track again.

Celtic Swing won the Racing Post Trophy by 12L as a 2yo. He was 2nd in the 2,000 Guineas at Newmarket, won the French Derby and flopped in the Irish Derby, basically he drifted from a great height back to the pack as a 3yo.

Arazi the 5L winner of the Breeders Cup Juvenile Dirt from the brilliant 2yo Bertrando ( Bertrando had won his previous G1 by 14L and won eff all as 3yo ). Arazi's early season 3yo form was poor, he came back to winning form at the Arc meeting in the Prix Dollar.

Appleby's not so brilliant G1 winning juvenile Line Of Duty is only beginning to find his form again as a 3yo as the season closes.

A 2,000 Guineas win for Pinatubo is far from a formality based on the records of previous superstar 2yos.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

The horses that save a little for themselves last longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

tryfix wrote: »
    The Godolphin record with their star 2yos as 3yos is/was pretty poor. Charlie Appleby is better than previous Godolphin trainers at keeping them on track, but even then his record isn't inspiring either.

In general, such beasts of 2yos don't maintain their advantages as 3yo. Frankel wasn't at this fellas level as a 2yo, despite his wide margin G2 win at Ascot his G1 Dewhurst win was solid but not spectacular.

John Oxx's Manntari was an incredible 10L winner of the National Stakes as a 2yo and won his Guineas trial as a 3yo but flopped in the Irish 2,000 Guineas and was never seen on the track again.

Celtic Swing won the Racing Post Trophy by 12L as a 2yo. He was 2nd in the 2,000 Guineas at Newmarket, won the French Derby and flopped in the Irish Derby, basically he drifted from a great height back to the pack as a 3yo.

Arazi the 5L winner of the Breeders Cup Juvenile Dirt from the brilliant 2yo Bertrando ( Bertrando had won his previous G1 by 14L and won eff all as 3yo ). Arazi's early season 3yo form was poor, he came back to winning form at the Arc meeting in the Prix Dollar.

Appleby's not so brilliant G1 winning juvenile Line Of Duty is only beginning to find his form again as a 3yo as the season closes.

A 2,000 Guineas win for Pinatubo is far from a formality based on the records of previous superstar 2yos.
    Off the top of my head 3 top godolphin 2 years olds that trained on dubawi, shamrdal, blue point. The English guineas is not the be all and end all - look at John gisdens record in the race. Also too darn hot still won 2 group1s as a three year old so to say he didn't meet expectations is a bit over the top.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Brace yourselves for a long winter of superlatives from the British media. They just never shut the fùck up when they get a good one.

The " maestro " Charlie Appleby with his "mercurial" ," unbeaten superstar "....

" is this the greatest 2 year old we have seen "

Jesus an Irish 2 year wins the national stakes every other year and you wouldn'y hear a tickety boo. If one wins the Dewhurst it is always " a great training performsnce" , on to the next race.

This horse is going to be in every foooking 10 second slow motion clip you see on ITV until May, and that's before the Derby crap kicks off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭BigStickMick

He is the 2nd highest rated 2yo ever by Timeform and looks totally justified to be honest.
    Whether he can stay fit and improve again as a 3yo is hard to know, but the boys in blue do not have a brilliant record at keeping these precocious 2yos on an upward curve. He will be a very special horse if they can do it though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Blinkers_off

he's incredible and would be guaranteed a guineas winner if with gosden or o'brien but could not trust godolphin at all to keep him going

he's incredible and would be guaranteed a guineas winner if with gosden or o'brien but could not trust godolphin at all to keep him going

Gosdon has never won a 2000 guineas in England, he allows his horses to mature a reaps the benefits later .

Off the top of my head 3 top godolphin 2 years olds that trained on dubawi, shamrdal, blue point. The English guineas is not the be all and end all - look at John gisdens record in the race. Also too darn hot still won 2 group1s as a three year old so to say he didn't meet expectations is a bit over the top.

We're not so much talking about good 2yos that train on, we're discussing monster 2yos in the context of Pinatubo's likely future. Blue point was a G1 placed 2yo not a star 2yo. IIRC O'Brien's Caravaggio was the star 2yo that year and although he won a G1 sprint as a 3yo he didn't hold his 2yo high rating as 3yo.

Dubawi and Shamardal were Champion 2yo level horses ( Shamardal was bought in from Mark Johnson for mega bucks) who were 2yos 15 years ago when Godolphin were very successfully wintering their 2yos/purchases in Dubai and coming back with huge success as 3yos. That practice has ceased to work for them. I don't remember either of those 2 horses been in the wonder horse league at the end of their 2yo seasons ( they hadn't defied gravity as 2yos )

Too Darn Hot is only partly? owned by Godolphin, he's trained by John Gosden, New Approach and Dawn Approach were bought by Godolphin and trained by Jim Bolger. Of those 3 Too Darn Hot was the Superstar 2yo who would supposedly walk on water as a 3yo.

Too Darn Hot went backward as a 3yo and was regaining some of his lustre but was still 5lbs or so below his 2yo rating as a 3yo when he retired. There's no way that it could be said that he met the high expectations that were held for him as a 3yo.

I wasn't having a go at Godolphin, they just happen to train Pinatubo who is the subject of the thread. It's just a matter of fact that they have had a lot of G1 winning 2yos who haven't made much of an impact at 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

What Tryfix said.
    More recently Air Force Blue 2yo form 1,2,1,1,1 .... 12th of 13 in the Guineas as 4/5 fav.
    Every week over the winter horses are growing and catching up.

As I said before the guineas is not the be all and and all. While won it this year again ?

The first crack in Pinatubo's apparent greatness appeared today. Mark Johnson's Monoski who was beaten 11 1/2L into 4th by Pinatubo in the G1 National Stakes ran today in the G3 Somerville Tattersall Stakes at Newmarket where he again finished 4th. Monoski was beaten 10 3/4L today by the very impressive 7L winner Wichita.

Pinatubo is hardly likely to be the the reincarnation of Pegasus if there's just 3/4L in collateral form between him and Witchita.

The Circus moves on to the 6f G1 Middle Park Stakes on Saturday. I'd regard it as the most interesting field that I've ever seen lined for a Middle Park. Lope Y Fernandez represents the Pinatubo form, although it's hard to know whether Lope Y ran his race behind Pinatubo in their last encounter.

Or you could say it was enhanced, visinari finished a length behind Wichita in Doncaster and was beaten by 14 lengths in goodwood by pinatubo. Form only tells you so much.. pinatubo also beat lope y twice in ascot and goodwood by 3.5 over 6 and 10 over 7. Lope y will be there abouts over 6 on Saturday but earthlight looked a bit special in France to me

Or you could say it was enhanced, visinari finished a length behind Wichita in Doncaster and was beaten by 14 lengths in goodwood by pinatubo. Form only tells you so much.. pinatubo also beat lope y twice in ascot and goodwood by 3.5 over 6 and 10 over 7. Lope y will be there abouts over 6 on Saturday but earthlight looked a bit special in France to me

Ah yeah, it's nearly all maybes with some of the juvenile big race form at the moment. Lope Y has a lot to find to bother the judges on Saturday. I'm hoping that the Phoenix form holds up, I have Monarch Of Egypt down as a horse who should progress on what he has done so far. I'd rather that he stepped up a furlong or two at this stage, coz he's bred to be a Guineas horse and looks like he's just about to get a move on at the end of 6f.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭deeks

Motivator wrote: »
    I don’t know what you’re basing that ridiculous comment on. I was in Meydan in February and Appleby held a questions and answers appearance before racing and told everyone this horse is Godolphin’s great white hope. They’ve not had a 2yo like this on their books in god knows how long, if ever. I’ve no interest in the flat whatsoever, I enjoy the days out it gives but from a punting and enjoyment perspective it means nothing to me. However, the name stuck with me and I’ve watched his runs so far and he has been exceptional. They’ll mop up all the Group 1 races they can with him as a 3/4yo

Do I not remember a quote from Appleby either before or after the National Stakes where he said that the horse shows nothing at home which was why they started him off in an all weather race?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭elderberry

deeks wrote: »
    Do I not remember a quote from Appleby either before or after the National Stakes where he said that the horse shows nothing at home which was why they started him off in an all weather race?

Afterwards - "We started his career off at Wolverhampton for a reason as we didn’t really know he was in the yard. He’s done nothing but improve with each run. " - https://www.irishracing.com/news?headline=Sensational-Pinatubo-blows-away-National-Stakes-opposition&prid=202901

• Advertisement

Form was franked today, armory beaten 9 lengths beaten about1.5 today in a group one.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭antietam

He is small and is the complete 2ry old but little scope to be a 3yr old.No bigger than Too Darn Hot from what I saw at the Curragh parade ring and certainly will lay him if he shortens as I did with Gosdens.

Not as good as the curragh but ground and the way the race was ran was against him. Still very very impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

Was very impressed how he battled in that ground as it would of blunted his speed no doubt.

Should win Guineas but think something will close the gap come May and then progress ahead of him as next season goes on, don’t have a clue what horse that will be though.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭famagusta

Start laying him for the guineas now!

I was impressed by the O'Brien horses, Arizona was at his best and appears to be improving. They all ran well, although Witchita is a big tank of a yoke that's hard to assess.

Pinatubo won by the distance that I expected him to do ( saw this race as being like Frankel's Dewhurst where he won well but nowhere near as impressively as in his previous romp ).

The winner appears to be a similar type to Too Darn Hot, but being by Shamardal means he's much more likely to be ready early in the year for the 2,000 Guineas than the Dubawi colt Too Darn Hot was.

If O'Brien wins the Racing Post Trophy then his winner of that might be a value alternative to Pinatubo in the 2,000 Guineas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

I backed Arizona 10 at 32s yesterday and was happy with his effort.
    Pinatubo is the archetypal winter 2000 Guineas favourite, six runs, six wins.
    His dam got further than a mile, and that might help him get a mile. He has only run at 6f and 7f.
    A bigger horse is needed for the 2000 Guineas, and he will need to grow a little.
    For the record Pinatubo is 5/4 for the race.
    The ideal situation is Pinatubo goes to the 2000 Guineas without a prep run, often a sign that connections are not very confident.
    And I will be looking for an outsider to back.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭elderberry

Anyone recall what Shamardal himself was like as a 2yo and how he progressed from 2 to 3?

elderberry wrote: »
    Anyone recall what Shamardal himself was like as a 2yo and how he progressed from 2 to 3?

As a 2yo

On his debut he won his maiden by 8L. He then went to the G2 Champagne Stakes at Goodwood and won it by 2 1/2L. He then won the Dewhurst by 2 1/2L from Oratorio.

As a 3yo

Godolphin had taken him over from Mark Johnson and wintered him in Dubai. His 3yo career started with a 9th placed 46L beating in the UAE Derby on Dirt.

He then went to Chantilly he started as 4/1 fav for the French 2,000 Guineas, he won it by head from David Wachman's Indesatchel.

After that he won the newly shortened 10 1/2f French Derby by a neck from Hurricane Run.

He was brought back to a mile for the St James Palace Stakes ( held at York that year) and was an impressive 3L winner.

That was last race, he got when being prepped for the Eclipse. His 3yo career was over before the end of June.

As a stallion his stock have trained on, but this year's 3 Juvenile G1 winners is not the norm for his stock. In recent times his best stock have been brought on slowly and have been making a mark in middle distance races.

The only other G1 winning Juvenile that I can remember him siring was the Racing Post Trophy winner Casamento who flopped at 3.

There's no real frame of reference for what should be expected from the future careers of his 3 G1 winning Juveniles of 2019.

• Advertisement

Lumiere was a top class two year also and blue point wasn't too bad either.

Advertisement