Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day Part 6

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,887 ✭✭✭selectamatic

12 element wrote: »
    Wasn't the mk2 introduced in 2004. Any idea how a mk1 would be on 2008 plates? Would the oil leaks on the driveway concern anyone else?

Most likely just water on the tarmac.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

12 element wrote: »
    Wasn't the mk2 introduced in 2004. Any idea how a mk1 would be on 2008 plates? Would the oil leaks on the driveway concern anyone else?

They continued to sell the old model alongside the new model. It was called the Octavia Tour. The newer model was a bit more expensive anyway and this model where all development was well paid for (Octavia launched in 1996) could be produced and sold much cheaper for markets where the new model was out of reach. We ended up getting them in Ireland but they mainly sold to taxi drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

colm_mcm wrote: »
    They’re a great little car.

Are those fiats ok to live with? I have been tempted

kermitpwee wrote: »

I only had them as rentals. Can’t imagine they’re that much different to a Punto or a panda underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

kermitpwee wrote: »
    They’re a great little car.

There is very little to go wrong in them. Just make sure the coolent bottle is clean and filled with pink liquid. Electrical glitches will have been sorted ages ago. Timing belts need doing but is cheap and not critical.
    Avoid abused examples, nice clean ones aren't much more money.

They are text book bangernomics.

• Advertisement

You wont see too many of these down your local Aldi carpark:

MzcyNTNiOGUyNWZhNzVhYjUxMjhjZjg5OGFlOTcyNDcxGL0eSKVWniIT5awxf06uaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjg0NTI3NzN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Unusual car, useful space and NCT to Feb 2020 for just €399

Drives my OCD mad

C771-AE22-9-E9-D-4-F4-C-991-B-DD66967-F7-D0-A.jpg

Drives my OCD mad

C771-AE22-9-E9-D-4-F4-C-991-B-DD66967-F7-D0-A.jpg

Theres no 'unseeing' that. thanks. ;)

actually, if the line went straight across, it would start to look a bit like a zx wagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

What do you think lads should I take a punt on that and offer around 750??

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-octavia-2007/22258889

It's a shyte ad,also smells of taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

It's a shyte ad,also smells of taxi.

Hes foreign :pac: was thinking ex taxi alright but as a runaround for a year or 2 is a good option?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1998-starlet-new-nct/22442794

N2QxODM0OTg0ZmQwNjQ0OGUwOGQxMmFhYTM2YWMxN2FlSuM9zu8fUNeSRqc3l3CYaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjg2MzEzMTl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Starlet fresh from the convent, 60k miles, NCT till Jan, €650

Needs to be 500, but I definitely would!

Good God!

That's my first call tomorrow. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

You wont see too many of these down your local Aldi carpark:

MzcyNTNiOGUyNWZhNzVhYjUxMjhjZjg5OGFlOTcyNDcxGL0eSKVWniIT5awxf06uaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjg0NTI3NzN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Unusual car, useful space and NCT to Feb 2020 for just €399

I really like the look of this for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Hes foreign :pac: was thinking ex taxi alright but as a runaround for a year or 2 is a good option?

To its credit, it’s on private tax/NCT currently so it hasn’t been taxi’s (very recently)

There are better options out there. Something like that, with PSV history, is a minefield IMO. The gold 05 diesel auto Bora posted by Toyotafanboi would be a good shout

Alternatively I have a cheap tax 08 Mondeo 1.8 tdci with test till next May for a grand, if you can live with a manual

To its credit, it’s on private tax/NCT currently so it hasn’t been taxi’s (very recently)

There are better options out there. Something like that, with PSV history, is a minefield IMO. The gold 05 diesel auto Bora posted by Toyotafanboi would be a good shout

Alternatively I have a cheap tax 08 Mondeo 1.8 tdci with test till next May for a grand, if you can live with a manual

Never going manual again :D cheers for the offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

Good God!

That's my first call tomorrow. :)

Is it just the lighting/reflections or does the bonnet look like a nun took a paint brush to it?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Jollyballs

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    Is it just the lighting/reflections or does the bonnet look like a nun took a paint brush to it?? :D

I thought I as the only one, maybe because its red, but couldnt look at it.

Any one here ever bought from Merlin Auctions? Had a look at the snapshot of prices and there are some great deals! Was thinking of heading up Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Went up there to buy a car before. Won the bidding but it didn't make its reserve and couldn't make a deal with the owner after the fact.

Merlin's was great though, staff were friendly and helpful for a first time and for a car guy it was a cool experience. Turn up good and early if you want a good look around the cars.

You would need to have your wits about you a little bit though, an awful lot of chancey scrap there, some of it going for what looks like well over the odds too when people get caught up bidding.

Look up how the fees are calculated beforehand because the price you are bidding doesn't include fees. I think the entry deposit to bid was like €500 too?

Went up there to buy a car before. Won the bidding but it didn't make its reserve and couldn't make a deal with the owner after the fact.

Merlin's was great though, staff were friendly and helpful for a first time and for a car guy it was a cool experience. Turn up good and early if you want a good look around the cars.

You would need to have your wits about you a little bit though, an awful lot of chancey scrap there, some of it going for what looks like well over the odds too when people get caught up bidding.

Look up how the fees are calculated beforehand because the price you are bidding doesn't include fees. I think the entry deposit to bid was like €500 too?

Yeh 500 deposit and admin fees of about 100-200 for my price range.

Yeh 500 deposit and admin fees of about 100-200 for my price range.

That 05 diesel auto Passat will make very little but I don’t think it is going through this weekend

• Advertisement

That 05 diesel auto Passat will make very little but I don’t think it is going through this weekend

The Silver one? Was last night I think and its waiting for a sale allocation.

There are very few 'bargains' in merlin. If you are looking for something cheap, then stick to the 'no reserve' lots or you will end up dealing with a dreamer who thinks because you came all the way to bid that you will pay him over the odds for the car. Direct from finance or dealers are next best bet, but be sure you know your stuff, they won't be that cheap and you will be up against lads who can fix them cheaper than you. I usually stick to cars the lads have no interest in (anything non-vag, jeeps or convertibles, coupes)
    However, you will often find privately advertised stuff on done deal can be cheaper, so do your homework.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,887 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Yjcw-MThm-Yz-E2-NTg4-Zj-Bk-OWRk-Yj-Jk-MGVm-MGU5-YTI0-MWF5bxn-Yc-C2-RCy-SDDYr5g-Ta.jpg

Zj-Q5-Zm-Jj-NGYx-NWFj-Yz-E0-MDdk-Yj-Vk-NGE4-NGQ2-NWQ5-Yz-Pb-ACOPg-Dls-rf72qgjp8go.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/saab-93-price-drop1-9-tid-linear-sport/21535419?campaign=3

2008 automatic Saab 93 tid
    Test till July 20
    Same owner since 2015
    Low owner Irish car
    Supposedly a full service history
    Looks lovely and clean
    Asking €2100

Might suit ya Iseedeadpixels.

Id love it but just out of my budget unless I sold my current car :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Any one here ever bought from Merlin Auctions? Had a look at the snapshot of prices and there are some great deals! Was thinking of heading up Saturday.

Not Merlin but Wilsons I bought from. Quite daunting buying something that you can't drive but it did work out for me. Then again I did only spend €900. In case you aren't aware that an auction fee thats paid on top of the price as well. I cant remember if its a percentage or flat fee but it was an additional €85 for me.

NGUxZGE1MDdkYjgxZGUwZmU5MDcwZDRiNTA2NmZhNTYG13EH2pXj5Be4j7eay_z2aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjg3ODAxODd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/07-renault-scenic-tax-amp-tested/22462674

NCT till Oct
    Tax till Sept
    85k kms
    €550

Renaults of that era can be hit and miss but I reckon its still worth taking a chance on, even if its only 4 months test.

YjUwOGM5MzNiMzhhZGQ3MjUxYzJlNGQ3Y2NkNTJhZWOySfFA9eQzg1xZc4O-RGoTaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjg3NzU3MzR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/saab-93/22461937

NCT till only Sept but tax for another month.
    206k kms
    Looks clean on the outside
    €375

ZTkyNzNkMWE3ZjZhMjc0YzI5YWZhZDEyYzNhYTZmNGM3mrOVIiuQkFo0hTTiYRNwaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjg3NjU5NDd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2009-opel-astra-1-7l-diesel-cheap-tax-road/22460569

Dunno a lot about the 1.7 diesel other than its an old isuzu unit so forgive me....

NCT Jan 20
    A months tax (200 p/a)
    122k miles
    €1550

Taxi!

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/09-skoda-superb-1-9-nct-03-20/22469927

N2RkNjRlZGIzMDZiYzAzYWQ2MDlmNmUyYjczMDk4MjVj6heJqfQROty5kxLAMRFyaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjg4MzkwNjR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Cheap tax, plenty of miles, 1.9 TDI, NCT til March 2020, €1950

Hub caps and seat covers aside it doesn't actually look too bad

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-70-series-2001/22403955

OTNhMjAzNDhlODlmNzIzZWNkMTkyNjAwY2UzZTMwY2UI566yTxSp-Mr7baPaaJuDaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjg3OTE2MTd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

V70 T5, NCT till 05/2020, 1 owner, history, looks clean, €999

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement