Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heat Hero Manifold

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I never said anything about breaking the system. I was merely pointing out that he like all of us are right to do his research. I looked at this product when it first came out and spoke to it's designer on the phone. He couldn't really explain how it worked but that was more down to poor sales pitch than facts given. Looking at the website the flow diagrams from a fluid dynamic perspective will work.
    Since I spoke to him stanley now endorse it and it won top prize at the plumbing and heating awards. None of this info was available when OP originally posted.

He/she posted on 16th of this month asking for feedback. Are you saying the website has been updated since the 16th?

As per your post "It will break the bank if it doesn't work and he has to buy a replacement system", so why would he have to buy a replacement system? can the Heat Hero destroy a system?

P.S. When did a pellet stove become out of date? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    He/she posted on 16th of this month asking for feedback. Are you saying the website has been updated since the 16th?

As per your post "It will break the bank if it doesn't work and he has to buy a replacement system", so why would he have to buy a replacement system? can the Heat Hero destroy a system?

P.S. When did a pellet stove become out of date? Thanks
    To be honest I have better things to do other than find random posts to belittle. Even less time to use the language you directed at the person asking for help.
    I prefer to try and give information relating to the question asked and have some experience with.
    As for a pellet burner the certainly do the job but in this day and age they are in no way comparable with more modern ways of heating rooms or homes. Fair enough if you're happy enough to have a go but at least try to offer advice to the OP. If you can't then...

To be honest I have better things to do other than find random posts to belittle. Even less time to use the language you directed at the person asking for help.
    I prefer to try and give information relating to the question asked and have some experience with.
    As for a pellet burner the certainly do the job but in this day and age they are in no way comparable with more modern ways of heating rooms or homes. Fair enough if you're happy enough to have a go but at least try to offer advice to the OP. If you can't then...

My reasoning behind the original poster...short posts are easier on mobile so that’s why above post

The poster mentioned 4 years ago about poor performance, the heat hero is 300 odd quid. Over the 4 years how much additional fuel has the poster used to get performance out of the stove?

The heat hero potentially could fix the issue, procrastinating about it is costing the poster more than it would to just buy it and it potentially would give some sort of performance jump.....so the 300 odd quid 4 years ago would probably have saved the OP multiples times that even if it only gave a 5% jump in performance

Unless as you stated the heat hero would somehow damage the heating system? Could you confirm if that is correct or not because that would be a concern

PS I know all about the other options available....specific room, specific job and pellet stove is best option.....also the pellet stove is hardly out of date, the newer stove have increase efficiency and excellent for specific jobs.....

Oh yeah last point, not a random thread, check the history and I looked at this technology myself :-) I have moved away from solid fuel stove so I didn’t progress further, that system is in process of been replaced with heat pump.....just to clear up that bit up

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭davidhick77

Hi have this system sitting in my press for last year or more waiting to be installed. Any plumbers in Clare or limerick fitted some of them (more than 1 anyway )??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Derby1

I bought one of these heat hero's at the ploughing championships 3 years ago and never got around to installing it. I heard the sales pitch at the same time as I was having issues with my stove/oil system.

Here are a few things that may help people. I'm not a plumber but have dabbled on a few systems over the years.

If you have a system with both a stove and an oil boiler, you should have check valves / non return valves to prevent stove heated water from unnecessarily being pumped around the boiler and boiler heated water being pumped around the stove. These valves can cause problems if they get stuck, in the same way radiator valves can get stuck after not being used all summer. Give them a few taps to try and free them, to allow water to pass through them. They can also get stuck if the plastic part inside them melts and jams shut. I had this exact issue this week and was able to free mine by giving them a few taps. You can tell these valves as they have directional arrows on them. If you need these replaced do NOT get the ones with plastic parts if you have a stove on your system. You will have a fair idea that you have stuck non return valves if you can héar water overshooting into the small feed tank in your attic.

Another misunderstanding is the thermostat on the stove pipework. This thermostat sends a signal to the pump to start pumping water around the radiators once the water in the cylinder has reached the temperature you have set the thermostat to. You can force the pump to start pumping to the radiators immediately by turning the thermostat DOWN! One thing to bear in mind is that this thermostat should normally be set to 55°C to prevent legionella. So think about it, for the first 20 to 30 mins after you set a fire you are heating the water and NOT sending ANY water around the radiators. If using turf or timber this could be up to an hour or more. You should be able to confirm the thermostat is working correctly by slowly turning it up and down and listening for the click and the pump starting up.

Google or search YouTube for viseos about balancing your radiators. Again contrary to what you might expect, turn them down to slow the speed of flow, to allow the water to circulate through the radiators and not pass through them too quickly by pretty much coming in one radiator valve and straight out the other one.

Another thing to consider is getting your system cleaned to help the overall efficiency. My small cottage only has 4 radiators which I removed and attached a hose to each one until they ran clear. I then made up a connection for the hose and connected it to each radiator valve to ensure each valve was clear. You can achieve the same thing by turning all bar one radiator off, to force water through one radiator.

Finally, in my opinion, you only get proper heat out of your system f you burn coal. Timber, turf, briquettes, etc, in my experience, only heat radiators to luke warm.

Hope thís helps everyone. I have an unopened Heat Hero which I don't believe I need - unless of course someone really can explain, as the OP asked, how exactly they do work.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year and stay safe everyone!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bruthal.

"-unless of course someone really can explain, as the OP asked, how exactly they do work"

They work by the stove heated water flowing from the stove to the heat hero and returning to the stove, and the heat from this circuit transfers to the other circuit to the heat hero which is from the heat hero to the existing heating system if used to connect a stove to a central heating system. This transfer of heat occurs without the 2 circuits water ever mixing or coming in contact. The stove circuit and central heating circuits through the heat hero will have a large area within the hero unit to maximise heat exchage, but both circuits remain seperate from each other. They flow in opposite directions also, to maximise temperature difference between the circuits to maximise transfer.

A hot water cyclider heating coil is an example of a simple heat exchanger. Hot water flows into the copper coil in the cylinder, and the heat from this water transfers to the cooler water in the cylinder without the water in the coil contacting the water in the cylinder.

The heat hero is simply a heat exchanger. (Look up heat exchanger in wiki). Nothing magical or complex about them. They may have selling pitches such as efficiencey etc. But one of the main advantages with using a heat exchanger for connectiong stoves to existing oil or gas CH systems is the stove can be installed as a vented system, while the existing system can remain as a pressurised sealed system, and keep its zone valves etc, as these heat exchangers have safety systems such as a 3rd circuit through it for cooling water which can automatically flow if the stove gets too hot due to over fuelling, power cut to pumps etc. Obviously the primary circuit from stove to Heat Exchanger will have no valves, and will be a gravity circuit until the pumps come on on each side of the exchanger via the pipe stat.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Conversations 3

Has anyone actually installed a heat hero yet?

Can't find any recommendations online except for sales pitches

Advertisement