Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engagment Ring Dubai or Antwerp?!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

CaraMay wrote: »
    Yeah and you could also spend it in cheltenham .... I don't think that's a lot of money (as long as you don't have to borrow it)

True i suppose.Just thats huge money to me i couldnt imagine that being spend on a ring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Yeah I think its proportionate to your circumstances and whether or not nice jewellery is important to you.

Personally, I know anything I'd like would like myself typically turns out to be in the €5-8k space. My BF and I have spoken about it I know he thinks they are an outrageous waste of money but I think (hope!) he knows it would be important to me when the time comes!

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

Buy second hand. Antique ring. Diamonds not worth the money. They depreciate badly. I wouldn't waste the money. You get a better deal on a second hand ring.

sadie1502 wrote: »
    Buy second hand. Antique ring. Diamonds not worth the money. They depreciate badly. I wouldn't waste the money. You get a better deal on a second hand ring.

True and I will explore all options when the time comes. I quite like the idea of an antique anyway to get something a bit different.

That said, i wouldn't be buying it as an investment anyway, so its resale value wouldn't matter much to me.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

ella23, suggestion, read the charter before posting and don't ignore mod warnings on the thread.

I already asked posters to stay on topic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

Yeah I think its proportionate to your circumstances and whether or not nice jewellery is important to you.

Personally, I know anything I'd like would like myself typically turns out to be in the €5-8k space. My BF and I have spoken about it I know he thinks they are an outrageous waste of money but I think (hope!) he knows it would be important to me when the time comes!

Would the proposal my be the important part? 8k is a lot if money to ask someone to pay when they're uncomfortable with the amount, unreasonable IMO

Would the proposal my be the important part? 8k is a lot if money to ask someone to pay when they're uncomfortable with the amount, unreasonable IMO

Well it would be important to me, more so than having a big wedding for example. He's only uncomfortable because he has's one of these people who goes through life in perpetual shock at how much stuff actually costs. He has a very thrifty streak that I generally don't mind because the opposite would be much worse, but this is an area that I'd hope he'd loosen the purse strings on this occasion :)

Also, like lots of men, he doesn't necessarily see the value in jewellery.

+ I said €5-8k, it wouldn't matter to me which end of the scale it is, once I get something I like. I gave that number because the things I've seen that I like are in that price bracket. I don't like them because they're in that price bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Cubby O'Connor on the South Circular Road, wholesale jeweller and manufactures pieces of jewellery.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

Firstly....congratulations!!! :)

Just to quickly say to other posters, IMO the amount of money you spend on an engagement ring is realistically up to the man who is paying for it. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't LOVE a nice huge expensive sparkler on my finger but I am being realistic. I would never expect my boyfriend to purchase something he cant afford. There is no way in hell I would sell my engagement ring so the "investment" behind it means nothing really. Everyday, I wear a €20 ring I got from argos nearly 15 years ago....still looks perfect. So expensive ring doesn't necessarily mean good investment. The ring is a symbol of love...not how much money you have.

Anyway, OP the only issue I would have is the cost of going to Dubai. Im not sure if money is an issue for you but its pretty expensive to get out there so would be paying at least 1.5 - 2k EXTRA to get over to Dubai before even purchasing a ring! If you are set on getting a ring abroad, I would suggest Antwerp. There are many threads on here where people are suggesting specific jewellers in Antwerp so I would have a look at them and might be able to guide you.

OK just to clear a few things up - I was trying to politely dance around the fact that my dear boyf can sometimes be a bit tight. He's always moaning about the price of something but he's doing very well for himself despite his best efforts not to show it! He was a student for almost a decade and the cost of adult life just appalls him sometimes. Like the other weekend he took himself out shopping for clothes and and came home with a jumper that cost €250. I don't know who was more shocked, me or him?!?

I of course would never want someone to spend beyond their means. I'm purely going by what I like, and sure I hope it keeps fine for me but sure who knows. I also wouldn't be opposed to paying for some of it myself if necessary. Its not about the money, its more about getting something I love. I wear very little jewellery so thing would be a big focal point for me.

Anyhow, I'd also be concerned that saving on a ring could end up costing more money, especially somewhere like Dubai. I'd say its very easy to spend money there. Also, i think you'd need to be spending quite a lot to make it worth while. Ad in the 7 hours flight each way, its neither cheap nor quick to get to. Also, if you go all the way to Dubai, you're going to feel like you HAVE to buy to justify your trip. I'd explore more local options first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭ChampagnePop

OK just to clear a few things up - I was trying to politely dance around the fact that my dear boyf can sometimes be a bit tight. He's always moaning about the price of something but he's doing very well for himself despite his best efforts not to show it! He was a student for almost a decade and the cost of adult life just appalls him sometimes. Like the other weekend he took himself out shopping for clothes and and came home with a jumper that cost €250. I don't know who was more shocked, me or him?!?

I of course would never want someone to spend beyond their means. I'm purely going by what I like, and sure I hope it keeps fine for me but sure who knows. I also wouldn't be opposed to paying for some of it myself if necessary. Its not about the money, its more about getting something I love. I wear very little jewellery so thing would be a big focal point for me.

Anyhow, I'd also be concerned that saving on a ring could end up costing more money, especially somewhere like Dubai. I'd say its very easy to spend money there. Also, i think you'd need to be spending quite a lot to make it worth while. Ad in the 7 hours flight each way, its neither cheap nor quick to get to. Also, if you go all the way to Dubai, you're going to feel like you HAVE to buy to justify your trip. I'd explore more local options first.

Maybe wait till you get engaged before you start planning the ring and wedding, a strong relationship is so much more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭honey12345

Worth noting that the dollar/euro exchange rate would significantly impact on the savings here.

When you factor in flights for 2 people, hotels etc etc, is it really worth while?

Obviously if I was in the area I'd have a look but would question if its worth a special trip.

Most defiantly worth the trip. 1000 euro per person including flights and hotel I stayed in the holiday inn.

My ring was valued at 14k its a no brainer plus i got a two week holiday out of it and only paid 5000 for the ring

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

lbyrne121 wrote:
    Side diamond – 0.35 carat total – Round Brilliant – VS-SI – F-G

exaisle wrote:
    Suggestion....stop being selfish....spend a grand on the ring and give the other €4500 to some charity where it'll do more good than sparkling on your finger. Then it'll make lots of people happier instead of just one.

Fcuk off cnut

Fcuk off cnut

Grow up you are pathetic

honey12345 wrote:
    Grow up you are pathetic

I am grown up

Fcuk off cnut
    I am grown up

you just called someone the c word you have to be mentally unstable grow up mentally

honey12345 wrote:
    you just called someone the c word you have to be mentally unstable grow up mentally

Sorry, I don't understand you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Harika

Depending where you are there are people from Israel/Dubai and are coming here where you talk with them and they go back home and bring the ring you want back. My wife got her ring this way, and it was valued four times as what I paid, and is looking stunning compared what we would have gotten in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Fcuk off cnut

Very informative. About your general personality!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Locked pending mod review. An angry mod review.

• Advertisement

Right, I'm not sure why this particular thread is attracting so many troublemakers, but I'll re-open it on the condition that posters stay on topic and be civil.

If you are new to Boards.ie or just new to this forum, please make sure you read the Charter and follow the rules when you post.

PM me nudes, banned for a month. I have no idea what possessed you to post that.
    honey12345 infracted. If you see a post like that, use the report post button, don't respond on thread and engage in spats with other users.

OK just to clear a few things up - I was trying to politely dance around the fact that my dear boyf can sometimes be a bit tight. He's always moaning about the price of something but he's doing very well for himself despite his best efforts not to show it! He was a student for almost a decade and the cost of adult life just appalls him sometimes.

I wouldn't consider this tight, he sounds quite sensible to me.
    Spending 5/7 thousand Euro on one ring sounds crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

This thread is hi larious, four or five people must be banned at this stage :),
    Back on subject. We got our ring in Antwerp about 3yrs ago, pm me if you want a good reference for a jeweller there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭doireannod

With regard to what's acceptable to spend on a ring, a guide is to spend 3 months gross salary. I'd be very cautious of going to Antwerp or Dubai. You can't be sure of what you're buying unless you get a GIA cert. We got our ring in Appleby's. They offer lifelong aftercare service. You need someone to call in to if you have an issue with your diamond. Aftercare is important. Also think of insurance issues- you need to have it insured from the moment you walk out the door. Could be tricky to co ordinate if abroad.

My recommendation is Appleby's. Best value for money in Ireland - we shopped around! And they created a bespoke, dream ring for me. Such lovely people to deal with. Can't recommend highly enough.

doireannod wrote: »
    With regard to what's acceptable to spend on a ring, a guide is to spend 3 months gross salary. I'd be very cautious of going to Antwerp or Dubai. You can't be sure of what you're buying unless you get a GIA cert. We got our ring in Appleby's. They offer lifelong aftercare service. You need someone to call in to if you have an issue with your diamond. Aftercare is important. Also think of insurance issues- you need to have it insured from the moment you walk out the door. Could be tricky to co ordinate if abroad.

My recommendation is Appleby's. Best value for money in Ireland - we shopped around! And they created a bespoke, dream ring for me. Such lovely people to deal with. Can't recommend highly enough.

No, it's one to three months salary, and that's only a guide, if it costs only a few hundred and everyone's happy then that hurts no-one.

The idea that a man has to spend a quarter of his annual salary to ask you to marry him is a bizarre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭doireannod

No, it's one to three months salary, and that's only a guide, if it costs only a few hundred and everyone's happy then that hurts no-one.

The idea that a man has to spend a quarter of his annual salary to ask you to marry him is a bizarre

Ya. Said it's a guide.

doireannod wrote: »
    Ya. Said it's a guide.

You said three months, the general guide is one to three months, pretty big difference for some peoples budgets

For the last time, STAY ON TOPIC! Champagne Pop I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt because you're new. If you have an issue with a post then report it. Don't derail the thread by arguing with other users.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

Have you looked at bluenile.co.uk? I just designed a .96 carat white gold ring for a shade over €4,000.
    Dubai is a long way to go unless you're making a holiday of it anyway.

I went to Sherans (sp?) when I bought my Mrs ring. The one advantage here is a lifetime cleaning facility. She drops it in about once a year and there is a noticeable difference after its cleaned. They pick up a lot of crap over time.

• Advertisement

Toots wrote: »
    For the last time, STAY ON TOPIC! Champagne Pop I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt because you're new. If you have an issue with a post then report it. Don't derail the thread by arguing with other users.

Whats your problem? Go buy yourself a ring the sparkle will make you smile

Advertisement