Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Carton House - Venue - Opinions.

Options
  • 23-04-2012 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭

Anyone in here get married in Carton House in Maynooth recently?

What did they think of it as a venue, what were they like to deal with in the lead up to the day and on the day.

Looking at the packages available and the room rates for guests can anyoen suggest to me what kinds of deals they got with them in regards discounts ect... You can PM me if you wish.

All feedback appreciated. If you have anything particular to tell me please pm me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

The wedding room in the new part of the hotel is massive so I'd say it'd suit a bigger wedding more than a smaller one.

The one thing I'll say is that I've been there before for a function and the service just was not good enough. On other occasion, I had dinner in the restaurant and there was some other event on as well, and the service in the restaurant was quite bad - we actually complained about it.

One of the most important things in my opinion is that you want good service on the day. So I'd definitely do your research first to make sure they pull their socks up - you don't want half of your guests served their main while the other half are still waiting for their starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I have never been there at a function but I was looking into it as a venue option six months ago. My view right or wrong was the rot from the boom has well and truly set in as business is expected and not worked for.

1. The wedding planner just wasn't that interested and information had to be dragged out of her
    2. There seemed to be little flexibility on price or items thrown in
    3. We were advised a quote would be sent to us but nothing arrived so obviously they were not interested

Overall experience seemed to be that they just didn't care. The place we finally settled on provided;
    1. A switched on wedding planner who took us around the facility and spelt out clearly all the options open to us on the day
    2. Very flexible on proce and advised they would work with us if any issues
    3. As we were having a wedding of >100 they provided free bar extension and free bridal suite on the day. In addition to discounted room rates for other guests and the bridal suite for a second night at same rate as regular room
    4. The planner took is through a brief overview of the cost on the day followed up with a detailed email on the next business day

As has been noted by Tinkerbell one of the most important things on the day is service and if you have an experience like ours I would run a mile because if they can't be bothered to work for their business I would not like to see what the day would be like.

Also consider this, the Carlton is trading on its name and you get lots of people going their to keep up appearances when there are much better quality and priced places elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Calhoun wrote: »
    I have never been there at a function but I was looking into it as a venue option six months ago. My view right or wrong was the rot from the boom has well and truly set in as business is expected and not worked for.

1. The wedding planner just wasn't that interested and information had to be dragged out of her
    2. There seemed to be little flexibility on price or items thrown in
    3. We were advised a quote would be sent to us but nothing arrived so obviously they were not interested

Overall experience seemed to be that they just didn't care. The place we finally settled on provided;
    1. A switched on wedding planner who took us around the facility and spelt out clearly all the options open to us on the day
    2. Very flexible on proce and advised they would work with us if any issues
    3. As we were having a wedding of >100 they provided free bar extension and free bridal suite on the day. In addition to discounted room rates for other guests and the bridal suite for a second night at same rate as regular room
    4. The planner took is through a brief overview of the cost on the day followed up with a detailed email on the next business day

As has been noted by Tinkerbell one of the most important things on the day is service and if you have an experience like ours I would run a mile because if they can't be bothered to work for their business I would not like to see what the day would be like.

Also consider this, the Carlton is trading on its name and you get lots of people going their to keep up appearances when there are much better quality and priced places elsewhere.

So far in my dealings with them I have to say your spot on with your summary on Carton House so far.
    Thing is its such a fantastic venue. I'm hoping on the day that things will come together as so far they just do not seem interested in having our business.
    There is no sense of wanting to to a deal. It's really disappointing to be honest as we both really like the venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I wish you the best with it, if you do choose them I would be on them like white on rice making sure they take your day seriously.

If you havent settled on it yet i would have a look around, we went as far as carlow to look and found a really nice place. In the end i just couldnt give my business to a place that was so disrespectful towards a customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sushisushi

tinkerbell wrote: »
    The one thing I'll say is that I've been there before for a function and the service just was not good enough. On other occasion, I had dinner in the restaurant and there was some other event on as well, and the service in the restaurant was quite bad - we actually complained about it.

Funny you should say that - I was there recently on a spa package and we were supposed to have dinner in the Coach House restaurant, but there was some golfing thing on so we had to eat in the bar, surrounded by obnoxious golfers watching football. the service was quite pleasant, but terribly slow and one friend didn't get her meal until a good 20 minutes after everyone else (and yes we did complain). The function rooms in the old house are stunning, in a very gilded, Baroque way and the food was very good, but I'd have concerns about their service, too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

We were actually going to go with Carton House for our wedding but the more dealings we had the more unhappy we became with them...to me they seem to be more interested in their celebrity/golf/fashion shows these days and weddings have taken a back seat.

We went with Barberstown Castle in the end, who have been nothing but amazing. You can tell weddings are their bread and butter and they treat you like royalty. OP we loved Carton House too but the customer service just isn't up to scratch. I've also heard from numerous people that the food isn't all that great there, I don't want people coming away from my wedding saying the food wasn't up to scratch. You're paying enough for what you get.

Good luck with whatever you go with, I just couldn't justify going with Carton House. It's unfortunate, I'm sure they must lose quite a lot of couples because of this but that's their own fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Has anyone any positive dealings with Carton House? Or anyone had their wedding there?

Everything so far is bad about them... Which is very disappointing as we both really like it as a venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 weeeeeeeezy

Sorry to add another negative experience. I really loved Carton house as well and it was a real contender for me as its close to where I grew up. But they were not prepared to negotiate on the minimum numbers for the weekend that we wanted to get married even though we wanted to book the most expensive package. There were was absolutely no interest in trying to get our business. I was also pre-warned by a work colleague that they wont negotiate. As other posters have said, plenty of other venues out there that will be eager for your business

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭msbusterpuss

Ill throw in my two cents as well - we were looking at carton as well for our venue and right from the start they were not interested in us - I had to ring numerous times to even get an appointment but when we finally did the girl who showed us around seemed nice enough so we thought it was just a one off.

When we were discussing things with her - we walked away thinking that she would do us a decent enough deal. We couldnt have been more wrong.

I had to email her to get the quote off her and when i did get the quote off her she wanted to charge me for the hire of glasses (we wanted a cocktail reception instead of sparkling wine).

couldnt believe it considering there would be in excess of 200 people at our wedding.

it was just a bad experience all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mrs Macky

Hi all, has anyone been to a wedding in Carton House recently? The last post was posted in 2012. Just wondering if their service has improved? More importantly, any feed back on the banqueting food?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Danny2580

Bump, wondering same as previous poster!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭nearzero

My parents were at a wedding there recently, they said the food was awful considering the standard of the hotel, the service was slow (half the room were finished & other half only being serviced) & the staff were rude, simple requests were met with cold stares & just walking off.

They said the couple enjoyed their day but admitted it wasnt worth the money they paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Ainegrainne

Bumping this thread as would love to know more about people's experiences at Carton. Thank you.

Advertisement