Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

141 730d

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Can you save a worthwhile amount importing from uk? If you buy one for 28k and want to sell it after a year , you’ll lose ten thousand ! There is meant to be great value on 530e imports

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Or buy a mint E38. Fellow motorist will salute you instead of not letting you out at junctions in a 730d.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,111 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This is a very much a heart V head. You'll loose about €5K a year in deprecation and it will be a hard sell in few years time. An F10 would be more sensible, desirable and there is not that much between them, but will also shed money fast. The 7 are complex cars and when things start going wrong they can be ruinous, at that age you could be looking a turbos, gearbox, all the scary stuff.

Watch Hoovies Garage on youtube to see what old BMW's will do to your bank balance!

5k, more like 10k I'd say. Demand for big luxury cars is very small in Ireland and those in the market for them tend to not want to spend big money on buying them.

Regarding old BMWs draining your wallet, welcome to the risk that comes with luxury car ownership. People need to remember just because you can buy an older BMW for Passat money doesn't mean you will run it on a Passat budget. And that goes for most if not all premium brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭WacoKid

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Can you save a worthwhile amount importing from uk? If you buy one for 28k and want to sell it after a year , you’ll lose ten thousand ! There is meant to be great value on 530e imports

There is a reason for the great value on the 530e though. Hybrid technology is developing rapidly and a 530e that does say 40km on electric now may seem great but in a few years the newer ones may do 120km. Who would then want to buy an 'old' technology.

If you look at a 530i (Internal Combustion Engine), it seems to be depreciating a lot less than the 530e as the ICE is not undergoing a rapid development cycle.

WacoKid wrote: »
    There is a reason for the great value on the 530e though. Hybrid technology is developing rapidly and a 530e that does say 40km on electric now may seem great but in a few years the newer ones may do 120km. Who would then want to buy an 'old' technology.

If you look at a 530i (Internal Combustion Engine), it seems to be depreciating a lot less than the 530e as the ICE is not undergoing a rapid development cycle.

The hybrid have very cheap tax and vrt though. We are talking about the here and now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The question was asked - would it trade for 20k in 18 months. I don't believe you would get 20k on a trade in next week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭carsfan2

If you brought that car today to a franchised BMW dealer, I reckon you would get offered 18 to 20 grand for it.
    I would be more inclined to go for a nice 5 series as they don't seem to lose the same amount as the 7 at this age. Here is an example of a nice 5 series that would still be worth 10/12 k in a couple of years possibly.

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/bmw/5-series/fpa/201910103165149

If you are spending that money and want that kind of car, the S class is just on a different level looks and class wise in my opinion. Get a w221 LWB facelift

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Nice and all as the 730 is, it's a huge car with a smaller market. I would echo what others have said and seek out an F10 530d. You'll get a similar standard of comfort and luxury and might even be able to come up the years too for little more than the 730's asking price.

The 530e also has an internal combustion engine....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

This refers more to a BMW diesel engine though right? I have been running an E60 with a six cylinder petrol for years now and it never gives any trouble.

...I have never run a BMW diesel though.

Those petrols are pretty much bulletproof, the three litre diesels could give timing chain problems depending on the year (though the 2.0 N47 diesel is much more prone). If it's a G generation then it's got the B57 engine which doesn't have the timing chain problem in any case.

BMW engines are very hit and miss reliability wise, depends a lot on the engine and even the year; in general the six cylinder engines are the best bet.

• Advertisement

Nice and all as the 730 is, it's a huge car with a smaller market. I would echo what others have said and seek out an F10 530d. You'll get a similar standard of comfort and luxury and might even be able to come up the years too for little more than the 730's asking price.

The 530e also has an internal combustion engine....

The 530e should be compared more with the 520i instead of the 530i though? If the battery is fully charged then it has the same power as 530i but if not charged then its comparable to the 520i. Basically you need to be religious with charging it to avail of the stated figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭carsfan2

The 530e should be compared more with the 520i instead of the 530i though? If the battery is fully charged then it has the same power as 530i but if not charged then its comparable to the 520i. Basically you need to be religious with charging it to avail of the stated figures.

Incorrect. The 530e is always comparable to 530i. The battery always maintains some reserves and can get charge from the engine too. You will never find it lacking its power if you don’t charge but fuel consumption takes a nosedive if you don’t charge at all and especially if you avail of the power

carsfan2 wrote: »
    Incorrect. The 530e is always comparable to 530i. The battery always maintains some reserves and can get charge from the engine too. You will never find it lacking its power if you don’t charge but fuel consumption takes a nosedive if you don’t charge at all and especially if you avail of the power

In fairness my information is only second hand.

I have a friend who has one from new for the 3 months and says when the battery is low you can notice a reduction in performance, especially pulling out from junctions etc.

That's the issue with the *30e. When the batteries are dead the engine has to pull around the weight of the car plus the weight of the batteries therefore consumption will get worse compared to *20i as the *30e are 2.0 litre petrol engines with batteries which is also why they are comparable to a *30i once the batteries are charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

This is a very much a heart V head. You'll loose about €5K a year in deprecation and it will be a hard sell in few years time. An F10 would be more sensible, desirable and there is not that much between them, but will also shed money fast. The 7 are complex cars and when things start going wrong they can be ruinous, at that age you could be looking a turbos, gearbox, all the scary stuff.

Watch Hoovies Garage on youtube to see what old BMW's will do to your bank balance!

To be fair, Hoovie bought an older generation v8 petrol 7 series that is known to be extremely unreliable.

In terms of reliability, its all down to how well serviced the car has been. I have owned 5 BMWs of different eras (1 being the notorious N47 2 litre diesel) and have only ever had one of the "common" issues crop up. Only major thing that Iv had to do was the brake servo and timing chain on my first BMW. The diesel never gave any issues, it even didnt burn oil, and had that up to 100k miles with original chain which was checked by BMW and I was told it was in perfect health.

For those saying buy a passat, depends what your looking for. If youre just looking for something to get you somewhere, then buy a passat. If youre looking for something with a bit more and to enjoy, then the 7 series is a great call. Iv never owned one but had a loan of an 2007 e65 3 litre diesel 7 series before and it was a dream to drive. The 3 litre diesels are quite reliable. At 60k miles, theres not anything major of concern on the 3L. Chains, according to owners forums, last to about 100k, more than the well known n47 engines.

I currently have a 3 litre petrol that hasnt given any issues at all in a year of ownership and about 12,000 mixed miles. There only one important phrase when buying a german car: a cheap BMW to buy will be the most expensive one to own

marcos_94 wrote: »
    I currently have a 3 litre petrol that hasnt given any issues at all in a year of ownership and about 12,000 mixed miles.

What is that out of interest?

What is that out of interest?

Its a 2008 BMW e92 325i, cheap ish tax of 570 per year!

Its a 2008 BMW e92 325i, cheap ish tax of 570 per year!

When you consider that the M4 is €1,200 and my 335i was €1,494 it's a bargain!

Most importantly, its the exact same engine as the 330i but detuned, so a remap gets you up to 330i power figures!

Most importantly, its the exact same engine as the 330i but detuned, so a remap gets you up to 330i power figures!

I thought the injectors were different along other bits like that but obviously not. Maybe I'm thinking 325i vs 335i rather than 330i.

• Advertisement

I thought the injectors were different along other bits like that but obviously not. Maybe I'm thinking 325i vs 335i rather than 330i.

Only difference between them is that the 330i has a three stage manifold, but the absence of the three stage manifold doesnt stop a remap getting a 325i up to 330i numbers. And surprisingly enough it hasnt been bad on fuel economy. Used to get about 800km out of a tank doing motorway driving, now getting about 770km with the remap

Do you/Did you have a 335i? Iv been considering going for one but unsure as to whether its enough change from my 325i to be worth it or not. Have also considered the 335d, or 6 series or maybe an e class coupe as my next car. Not too many options really for big engined coupes now

Do you/Did you have a 335i? Iv been considering going for one but unsure as to whether its enough change from my 325i to be worth it or not. Have also considered the 335d, or 6 series or maybe an e class coupe as my next car. Not too many options really for big engined coupes now

I had a 2007 e92 335i. It was a great car with a fantastic noise once I forked out over 2k to put it right. Generally they suffer from failure of both turbos (which I had), injector issues and HPFP issues (neither of which I had). I wouldn't advise anyone to buy one though unless it's an F30 rather than E92/E90.

For peace of mind, go with the 335d instead. They didn't have any of these issues as far as I'm aware and were much more reliable apart from maybe swirl flap issues.

I had a 2007 e92 335i. It was a great car with a fantastic noise once I forked out over 2k to put it right. Generally they suffer from failure of both turbos (which I had), injector issues and HPFP issues (neither of which I had). I wouldn't advise anyone to buy one though unless it's an F30 rather than E92/E90.

For peace of mind, go with the 335d instead. They didn't have any of these issues as far as I'm aware and were much more reliable apart from maybe swirl flap issues.

Any reason why you wouldnt recommend the 335i? I know of the common issues but at this stage theyve normally been done on a car by the previous owner

Any reason why you wouldnt recommend the 335i? I know of the common issues but at this stage theyve normally been done on a car by the previous owner

I wouldn't recommend one because if they go wrong they are quite expensive to fix. As I said in my previous post, it cost me €2,000.00 just to have the turbos replaced. Having said that I tried getting away with only one but it turned out they were both shagged so it was one turbo replaced at a time by 2 different garages. Remember, they're one level below the M3 and that's not a cheap car to repair.

If you're looking at them ask about the turbo's and if they were replaced, what's the story with warranty etc. I bought my 2 from BMW, they were remanufactured rather than brand new and I sent my own 2 back as part exchange so the new ones had a 2 year warranty I think it was.

What happens is that the wastegate bearings break down and can't seal so that causes a loud ratchet-type noise that increases with the revs. Be sure they there wasn't a "fix" done whereby the software is altered in order to move the resting position of the wastegate away from the seal. This removes the noise but increases lag and doesn't give proper performance.

Advertisement