Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The lips wrote: »
    Only one review on Amazon and it is a negative one but I am curious.

Surprised another manufacturer didn't fabricate brackets to hold there own fan on an inset.

Stove fans pop up in Aldi/Lidl in their middle aisles for around €25, I'd expect to see them in November or so. Never used one myself but a couple of posters on the Aldi thread got them and said they worked well at distributing hot air. And if it doesnt work well for you then Aldi/Lidl are easy going with returning stuff for a full refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

bit of a strange question, have removed a Green 8kWh solid fuel stove.

I got out of sitting room but back is fecked and arm is killing. The thing weights a serious amount. My plan of lifting into the car and bringing to scarp merchants.....so does anyone know if companies will pick them up?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    bit of a strange question, have removed a Green 8kWh solid fuel stove.

I got out of sitting room but back is fecked and arm is killing. The thing weights a serious amount. My plan of lifting into the car and bringing to scarp merchants.....so does anyone know if companies will pick them up?
    Leave it outside your house or gate and it will be gone in a few days

Agent_47 wrote: »
    Leave it outside your house or gate and it will be gone in a few days

Don’t really want to invite that type around our area

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

john_doe. wrote: »
    Any decent hand held vacuums out there for clearing out Ash pan when cool

The ash vac's are big awkward plug in jobs , there looks to be a DeWalt vac I saw on net.

Most annoying part of owning a stove is the cleaning

Any one have smart way of cleaning?

• Advertisement

john_doe. wrote: »
    Any one have smart way of cleaning?

Tell the wife to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The cleaning brush might be shoved in the wrong place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

I eventually want to upgrade my stove to a bigger one. Is there an adapter you can get because if I was to upgrade the chimney flue would have to be in a different place and bigger maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Forge83

I eventually want to upgrade my stove to a bigger one. Is there an adapter you can get because if I was to upgrade the chimney flue would have to be in a different place and bigger maybe.

If you mean adapt a new 6” wide flue into the old 5” flue, no you cannot get an adapter as it’s against regulations. The smoke would not be able to leave the stove fast enough increasing the chance of carbon monoxide poisoning.

If you mean just adapt the 6” flue into the clay pot, yes you can get an 8 to 6” clay adaptor/reducer.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭ravendude

Hello,

Was set on a wood burning stove, - but some quotes are coming in very high indeed.
    One reason is I am needing 2 stories/floors of double wall flue. Price is coming in at c. 5K with installation etc for a nice Scandinavian wood burner, a big stretch on budget tbh.

Just noticed that there are some very nice looking gas stoves ( Gazco looks well) that look similar to wood burners.
    How do these compare to wood burners in terms of running and installation costs? I used to hear gas fires burnt money years ago. Not sure is this the case nowadays?

Thanks!

• Advertisement

ravendude wrote: »
    Hello,

Was set on a wood burning stove, - but some quotes are coming in very high indeed.
    One reason is I am needing 2 stories/floors of double wall flue. Price is coming in at c. 5K with installation etc for a nice Scandinavian wood burner, a big stretch on budget tbh.

Just noticed that there are some very nice looking gas stoves ( Gazco looks well) that look similar to wood burners.
    How do these compare to wood burners in terms of running and installation costs? I used to hear gas fires burnt money years ago. Not sure is this the case nowadays?

Thanks!

You can add about 2k to the 5k for a gas cylindrical installed with two storey of twin wall.

Forge83 wrote: »
    You can add about 2k to the 5k for a gas cylindrical installed with two storey of twin wall.

What about a balanced flue stove ? Like this. Thought it could just go out the wall.
    Not sure if there would be some kind of "mock" flue going up then or how that works?

Would need to run a gas line to the location though for 10 metres or so though, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭rpmcs

ravendude wrote: »
    What about a balanced flue stove ? Like this. Thought it could just go out the wall.
    Not sure if there would be some kind of "mock" flue going up then or how that works?

Would need to run a gas line to the location though for 10 metres or so though, I think.

Something like this with balanced flue straight out back would be about €2500 plus installation cost.
    But gas stoves are very efficient now,, especially balanced flue in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭blue note

Forgive me if these questions have been answered, but I scanned through a few pages and didn't see them and don't want to go through 300 pages. Man stoves are popular!

I have two questions 1. On the flue requirements and 2. On size.

To start with size as it's easier it's going into living room / dining room. Combined they'd be about 28m². However, the stairs to upstairs are in the dining room, so lots of heat will go up there. My concern is that if we get a very big one, we'll be very near it in the living room section (separated by an arch, so not separated at all from a heat perspective). But since lots of heat will be going into the dining room and upstairs, I don't think it can be too small. Would an 8kw be about right?

And the flue.... The stove would be located in the corner of a flat roof extension, furthest from the pitched roof of the house. So the flue would be a distance of approx 3.5 metres from the bottom of the pitched roof. My concern is that it would be unsightly in the garden if it has to go up too high there and would block sea views for our next door neighbour. How high would this need to be? And if it needs to be high, is it possible to run it horizontally along the flat roof so that it goes vertical when it meets the pitched roof?

That's in advance if anyone wants to give opinions!

rpmcs wrote: »
    Something like this with balanced flue straight out back would be about €2500 plus installation cost.
    But gas stoves are very efficient now,, especially balanced flue in my opinion.

Thanks.
    Any thoughts on Gazko vs Faber in terms of quality? Like the look of the Faber Vasko but some Gazko look well too.

Gazko/Stovax reviews on trust pilot for after service don't inspire my with confidence to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 greenbamboo

Hi, Im in the process of replacing my old stanley errigal boiler cooker for just a solid fuel non boiler stanley lismore 12kw stove and just set the oil to come on more often rather then constantly having to feed a boiler stove to heat rads.

Would any of ye recommend the stanley lismore 12kw non boiler stove or should i just go for the stanley reginald to heat 12 rads in your opinion and not use oil as much?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

Hi, Im in the process of replacing my old stanley errigal boiler cooker for just a solid fuel non boiler stanley lismore 12kw stove and just set the oil to come on more often rather then constantly having to feed a boiler stove to heat rads.

Would any of ye recommend the stanley lismore 12kw non boiler stove or should i just go for the stanley reginald to heat 12 rads in your opinion and not use oil as much?
    Little food for thought. I have the boiler lismore used with system link. I hit the oil heating for 20 mins to get the rads up to temp them the lismore can comfortably keep 11 rads warm on its own without a massive amount of fuel.
    My dad has the Reginald and his heart is broken with in. Completely different set up but if you're is plumbed correctly then the lismore will do the job. If it's a savage cold day I just hit boost on the oil to give it a helping hand

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Acey10

Hi, looking at getting a henley apollo 5kw, any one any advice or experience? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭tcif

Acey10 wrote: »
    Hi, looking at getting a henley apollo 5kw, any one any advice or experience? Thanks

Not with the apollo but we have two other Henley stoves and they're excellent so could definitely recommend the brand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I put 2 henley achill stoves in, one with a heat genie.

Both stoves great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

I've spent over an hour going through this thread to try figure out what must be a fairly simple question, so sorry if it's come up before:

I've got a standard 25 y/o 4 bed semi detached with a regular fireplace. Can I just knock out the existing fireplace & put in an inset coal/wood burning stove & connect with an adaptor to the existing ceramic liner?

I would be adding a CM alarm to the room also & it's well ventilated.

I've spent over an hour going through this thread to try figure out what must be a fairly simple question, so sorry if it's come up before:

I've got a standard 25 y/o 4 bed semi detached with a regular fireplace. Can I just knock out the existing fireplace & put in an inset coal/wood burning stove & connect with an adaptor to the existing ceramic liner?

I would be adding a CM alarm to the room also & it's well ventilated.

Yes

I done it in previous house. Insert stove and it was brill. The guy looked at flue and it was perfect so just connected without a flexi flue....but then my flue had a electric heater in it and was probably never used.....most companies will put in flexi

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

What are the best places to get 2+ year dried wood?

It seems the majority places are 1 year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Not sure if this has been asked before but how much to get stove cleaned on aversge?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Foleyart

Hi there, I put in a henley 8kw stove in my kitchen at the beginning of the year. It has a great output of heat and manages to heat the whole house when going for a day. However it goes through timber like s**t through a goose. The installer did not put in a damper on the chimney and I think this is the problem. Should I install a damper on the chimney ?? When I asked the installer about it at the time he said there wasn't one on the stove.

Foleyart wrote: »
    Hi there, I put in a henley 8kw stove in my kitchen at the beginning of the year. It has a great output of heat and manages to heat the whole house when going for a day. However it goes through timber like s**t through a goose. The installer did not put in a damper on the chimney and I think this is the problem. Should I install a damper on the chimney ?? When I asked the installer about it at the time he said there wasn't one on the stove.

It is against installation regulations to install a damper on a flue.
    The stoves damper per say is its air inlets primary and secondary. So if they are open fully it will eat fuel. These should only be opened fully to get the fire going and then should be almost closed when fire is going.
    If you are already doing this then it is most likely you have an excessive updraught in your chimney. A chimney liner or anti draught cowl may help here but it varies from chimney to chimney depending on the location.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Foleyart

Hi Forge83. Thanks for your input. I think it is the excessive updraught that is the problem. I always operate it with both inlets closed. The installer did actually put in a chimney liner and that filler vermiculite. He also put a chimney cap on to stop the rain. Would you suggest an anti draught cowl ? the house is on the brow of a hill in connamara where there is a constant wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 guest2018

Hi,
    Is it allowed to install stoves in apartments in Ireland?
    I live in a two-story penthouse with a private roof garden. I would like to set a stove with chimney through the wall outside to the roof garden.
    But the management company "would not be happy to permit the installation of a wood burning stove in the property".
    Does anyone install stoves in multi-units buildings in apartments?

Thanks in advance.

Foleyart wrote: »
    Hi Forge83. Thanks for your input. I think it is the excessive updraught that is the problem. I always operate it with both inlets closed. The installer did actually put in a chimney liner and that filler vermiculite. He also put a chimney cap on to stop the rain. Would you suggest an anti draught cowl ? the house is on the brow of a hill in connamara where there is a constant wind.

Yes something like this is worth trying.

https://www.chimneycowls.eu/product/static-anti-draft-chimney-cowl__trashed-2/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Acey10

bobbyss wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been asked before but how much to get stove cleaned on aversge?

Dog u mwant the chimney?

Advertisement