Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macroom is it North or West Cork

• 16-10-2019 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭

I rang ordinance survey they said they they it's West but check Cork council which I did they said it's south Cork

Anyone help me out here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭torrevieja

torrevieja wrote: »
    I rang ordinance survey they said they they it's West but check Cork council which I did they said it's south Cork

Anyone help me out here

Am I in the right forum here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭torrevieja

anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭boardise

I've heard it described as 'md-Cork' ! If you look at a map of the county -that's a pretty fair description.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

It’s difficult to answer this without knowing the context of your query. Terms like Mid Cork, West Cork, East Cork, South Cork and North Cork are quite vague and tend to vary depending on usage.

Just how confusing this gets is illustrated by Macroom’s political constituency history. Macroom is now in the constituency of Cork North West, but was previously in (1923) Cork North, (1961) Cork South West and (1969) Mid Cork

Various bodies such as Cork County Council and the health board divided the county from time to time for administrative purposes, but the division tended to be arbitrary and designed to suit their purposes.

The only legal division that I am aware of was the 1823 divide between Cork West Riding and Cork East Riding. These areas, while very clear on a map, never achieved the significance of the North Riding and South Riding division in Tipperary. The Cork ridings fell into disuse after 1922 apart from the Garda Siochana who retained the administrative split into the 1980s. Macroom was in the barony of West Muskerry in Cork West Riding.

If you can make the context of your enquiry clearer it might be easier to assist.

Advertisement