Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-09-2019, 13:34   #1
youandme13

HAP

Hi just looking for opinions on how to go about this please.

I’ve a viewing for an apartment this eve and work full time and I’m entitled to HAP.

I’m just wondering how do I go about mentioning this to the agency, at the viewing or after?

Thanks a mill!
Advertisement
12-09-2019, 13:50   #2
Dav010

Just tell them straight out, they can’t refuse you because you are receiving HAP.
12-09-2019, 13:59   #3
Caranica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav010 View Post
Just tell them straight out, they can’t refuse you because you are receiving HAP.
I would say wait until they get offered the place in writing. They can't admit to making their decision based on hap but they probably will.
Thanks from:
12-09-2019, 16:10   #4
Samuel T. Cogley

Get the place first, then drop the H bomb.
12-09-2019, 18:45   #5
Bikerman2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav010 View Post
But the can find another reason to refuse you if you do admit to HAP. Or maybe just say it is gone.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
13-09-2019, 05:46   #6
Graces7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerman2019 View Post
But the can find another reason to refuse you if you do admit to HAP. Or maybe just say it is gone.
One rental I looked at; lady was great until I said the dread words.. then excuses started after black looks and I got an email; " rent allowance does not suit my husband and I" . meaning HAP.

The house was not great so I did not follow it up.
13-09-2019, 20:54   #7
sk8board

HAP landlord here -
I’d tell them, they may already be a HAP LL.

the biggest issue most LLs have with HAP is the knowledge gap of what it actually entails - it’s quite a long and VERY probing process (3.5 months in my case from application stamped received by council to having rent in my account - April 10th - Jul 28th). That wasn’t unduly slow either, it’s taking 8+ weeks to process claims, and then they missed the June payment run and had to wait to next month.

The risk the LL has is that if you stop paying the council, the council immediately cut the landlord payments loose.

People refusing HAP aren’t necessarily all discriminating against you either - there’s a large list of banking, tax and LTP proofs required - so if someone isn’t fully (and I mean FULLY) legit, they can’t touch HAP even if they wanted to.
Thanks from:
15-09-2019, 13:03   #8
JJJackal

Quote:
Originally Posted by youandme13 View Post
Hi just looking for opinions on how to go about this please.

I’ve a viewing for an apartment this eve and work full time and I’m entitled to HAP.

I’m just wondering how do I go about mentioning this to the agency, at the viewing or after?

Thanks a mill!
If a LL doesnt want to take HAP, he will just rent it to someone else if the area is high demand. LL will have many options. Its not discrimination to take another person whom one thinks is a more reliable tenant (that tenant could be on HAP too) - v hard to prove.

LL who directly refuse HAP and put it in writing dont know the law very well
17-09-2019, 14:14   #9
ted1

I’ve taking it in the past. On the basis that the standard terms of the lease are adhered too and that is the rent is paid on the first for the coming month. So they have to pay it till Hap kicks in.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion