Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-09-2019, 15:01   #1
cant even username rn

How can I get a place to rent without work or landlord references?

Hi there

I am currently looking for a place of my own to rent. However, I am facing much more difficulty than I thought with this aim. I've contacted all the landlords and/or letting agents I can so far. Unfortunately, it seems to me that they are a lot less likely to consider me as a potential tenant as I am self-employed (I literally could find no other way of making money of any other kind since the crash, and it's now going too well to walk away from) and have been obliged to live with my parents for the past few years. Accordingly, I have no references from landlords or a workplace. Frankly, I find it ironic that, even though I can now afford it, I still can't get somewhere of my own.

So, my question is: is there any alternative to these references I can offer to convince landlords I am a worthwhile tenant? This situation is getting to me now, particularly as I am going crazy where I am now. TIA for answers
Advertisement
11-09-2019, 15:02   #2
Salary Negotiator

Offer a bigger deposit and a few months rent up front.
11-09-2019, 15:06   #3
cant even username rn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salary Negotiator View Post
Offer a bigger deposit and a few months rent up front.
Maybe. Then again, that implies the risk of losing said bigger deposit :/
11-09-2019, 15:14   #4
antix80

Quote:
Originally Posted by cant even username rn View Post
Exactly!
11-09-2019, 15:32   #5
Salary Negotiator

Quote:
That's the point, a bigger deposit reduces the landlord's risk.

You could ask that after 12 months the additional deposit over 1 month (or whatever the landlord originally asked for) is returned as by that time you should have shown yourself to be a decent tenant.
Advertisement
11-09-2019, 15:36   #6
Dav010

Quote:
You have to ask yourself, why would a LL rent to you over a tenant with previous rental and work references? In over to overcome that, you are going to have to show a LL that you are less of a risk than that implies, by offering a bigger deposit or pay a few months in advance. The LL has a lot more to lose than you if you are a bad tenant.
11-09-2019, 15:55   #7
Samuel T. Cogley

Rent a room for a few months for a LL reference is one option. I did a reference for an Airbnb guest once that found a place.
Thanks from:
11-09-2019, 15:58   #8
Mrs OBumble

Get references from your accountant and a client
(2) thanks from:
11-09-2019, 18:18   #9
Dav010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs OBumble View Post
Get references from your accountant and a client
Your Daddy, priest and BFF as well. Seriously, what LL would favour an accountant and client as a referee over someone with previous renting history and proof of a stable job/income?
Advertisement
11-09-2019, 18:19   #10
artanevilla

Get one from your mother using her maiden name.
11-09-2019, 18:29   #11
GarIT

I know someone that offered 12 month's rent up front, and yearly installments after that. It offered more security to both him and the landlord and got him a place over a few more likely people.
11-09-2019, 18:51   #12
DubCount

Prospective tenants are in competition with each other, to demonstrate capacity to pay and track record of paying rent on time. References from an employer show regular income which is likely to continue and references from previous landlord shows payment on time and not being difficult. Without references, you need an alternative to replace these assurances. Showing bank statements with savings and regular income would help, as would a letter from your accountant to say your business is profitable and likely to continue. Offering higher deposit (as already mentioned) might help. Any chance of getting a house share for a few months to get a landlord reference that way.
11-09-2019, 19:15   #13
BrokenArrows

Quote:
Hi there

I am currently looking for a place of my own to rent. However, I am facing much more difficulty than I thought with this aim. I've contacted all the landlords and/or letting agents I can so far. Unfortunately, it seems to me that they are a lot less likely to consider me as a potential tenant as I am self-employed (I literally could find no other way of making money of any other kind since the crash, and it's now going too well to walk away from) and have been obliged to live with my parents for the past few years. Accordingly, I have no references from landlords or a workplace. Frankly, I find it ironic that, even though I can now afford it, I still can't get somewhere of my own.

So, my question is: is there any alternative to these references I can offer to convince landlords I am a worthwhile tenant? This situation is getting to me now, particularly as I am going crazy where I am now. TIA for answers
Just give them your parents details as your landlord. Get them to write a reference.

Easy.
11-09-2019, 19:23   #14
angeleyes

If your business is doing well, perhaps save for a deposit and buy your own home/apartment.
(2) thanks from:
11-09-2019, 20:14   #15
antix80

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeleyes View Post
If your business is doing well, perhaps save for a deposit and buy your own home/apartment.
There's the rental crisis sorted! Everyone should just buy their own house instead of renting. Sure you just solved the homeless crisis too. You deserve a nobel prize.
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion