Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-09-2019, 16:55   #46
Homelander

Ah, right. Surely you can just change the one or two easily enough. I don't get why you would be concerned about lease/landlord. You'll get a new one in Woodies or B&Q for €20. It's not like it's involves extensive DIY, it's just a replacement job. You can put back in the original set when you're leaving.
Advertisement
10-09-2019, 17:11   #47
Claw Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homelander View Post
Ah, right. Surely you can just change the one or two easily enough. I don't get why you would be concerned about lease/landlord. You'll get a new one in Woodies or B&Q for €20. It's not like it's involves extensive DIY, it's just a replacement job. You can put back in the original set when you're leaving.
The o/p has said there is no lock there. Just handles on spindle. The house must be ancient. Every modern house built in the last 70 years has door locks o all internal doors. Apparently it was a requirement for the building grant.
10-09-2019, 20:59   #48
riclad

it would be easy to install a lock that can only be locked by the tenant from the outside,theres no key slot on the inside of the door.

and put a sliding door bolt on the inside.
If theres a fire the tenant will not have to lock the door , i would not live
in a shared house where there was no locks on the door,s .
What if someone steals your laptop or something else when you are gone out.
You have no security from anyone who gets inside the house.
The landlord can claim the expense of installing locks as an an
expense like buying a fridge .
Theres certainly new apartments being built where the internal door,s
have no lock,s .

a door stop stops the door being opened when you are inside the room,
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-...NQ8ZKNRDKSVKPK

and it needs no holes to be drilled anywhere .
Thanks from:
10-09-2019, 22:28   #49
nox001

Quote:
Originally Posted by kceire View Post
Bathrooms are not habitable rooms and typically people do not sleep in them.
Therefore cannot be woken in the dead of the night by a screaming fire alarm and possibly panic trying to escape safely.
If you can open a door you can unlock a door.

Honestly the numbers of people killed per year in house fires is compatible with the numbers who win the lotto.

Of course you take precautions like have a fire alarm downstairs and upstairs etc but getting all bothered about locking doors is paranoia.
(3) thanks from:
11-09-2019, 05:48   #50
Graces7

Quote:
Bathrooms are not habitable rooms and typically people do not sleep in them.
Therefore cannot be woken in the dead of the night by a screaming fire alarm and possibly panic trying to escape safely.
Living in fear is not healthy? I have in all my decades of varying rented accommodation never ever been in a fire or any situation when a locked door was a danger. More danger from leaving doors unlocked frankly . Only time a fire alarm has ever gone off was when they were put in recent years in idiotic places like above a cooker or hearth and they have been disabled now. The door is within reach
Advertisement
11-09-2019, 08:47   #51
kceire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graces7 View Post
Living in fear is not healthy?
I agree, that's why if you are living in fear of your room being entered and items removed then its time to move on and find another house. You cant live like that.

Quote:
I have in all my decades of varying rented accommodation never ever been in a fire or any situation when a locked door was a danger.
That's like saying I don't need to wear a seat belt as I haven't been in a car crash in my whole life. Silly statement.

Quote:
Only time a fire alarm has ever gone off was when they were put in recent years in idiotic places like above a cooker or hearth and they have been disabled now. The door is within reach
Again, no excuse for dodgy / cowboy builders. The detectors should be placed in the correct location and you shouldn't have a smoke detector anywhere near a kitchen, Heat detectors are required within a certain radius of the hob.
11-09-2019, 09:32   #52
Graces7

Quote:
I agree, that's why if you are living in fear of your room being entered and items removed then its time to move on and find another house. You cant live like that.

Up to the person and if in a shared would always lock my door whether I am in or out as I do out here even though no other folk living near. No great hassle or burden. Also my cats can open the door unless it is locked and they let all the warmth out..

Again, no excuse for dodgy / cowboy builders. The detectors should be placed in the correct location and you shouldn't have a smoke detector anywhere near a kitchen, Heat detectors are required within a certain radius of the hob.
It was the council electrician actually. Heat detector directly over the gas hob. I killed it. Dead.

Really it is individual choice re precautions of all kinds. You feel you need them in some cases but not others whereas others do not and that is fine . You are happy with your choice and I with mine.
11-09-2019, 11:35   #53
Dial Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claw Hammer View Post
The o/p has said there is no lock there. Just handles on spindle. The house must be ancient. Every modern house built in the last 70 years has door locks o all internal doors. Apparently it was a requirement for the building grant.
My house is 15 years old. None of the internal doors other than the bathrooms have locks fitted, literally just the handles. Entire development is the same and we're not talking a cowboy developer here by any stretch of the imagination.
11-09-2019, 11:37   #54
TheBoyConor

Graces 7, your attitude to fire safety is very cavalier and careless.
Advertisement
11-09-2019, 11:49   #55
davindub

Quote:
It was the council electrician actually. Heat detector directly over the gas hob. I killed it. Dead.

Really it is individual choice re precautions of all kinds. You feel you need them in some cases but not others whereas others do not and that is fine . You are happy with your choice and I with mine.
I think when it comes to yourself that is fine, but if there are others in the house, it's not fair to take risks.
11-09-2019, 11:51   #56
denartha

Quote:
I, as a landlord would not provide locks for bedroom doors.
I believe they are a great fire hazard should they be mistakenly locked at night.
If only the technology existed where you didn't need a key to leave the room, but did need a key to get into it. Like the one on my front door.
Thanks from:
11-09-2019, 12:23   #57
kceire

Quote:
Originally Posted by denartha View Post
If only the technology existed where you didn't need a key to leave the room, but did need a key to get into it. Like the one on my front door.
Somehow I cant see a LL paying out to upgrade to smart locks.
It would be a good idea and the LL can add/remove tenants access rights on change over etc

They do have manual over ride from inside though which makes them acceptable for means of escape purposes.

There's a whole grey area with regards to insurance cover though when fitted to a front door.
11-09-2019, 12:40   #58
denartha

Quote:
Somehow I cant see a LL paying out to upgrade to smart locks.
It would be a good idea and the LL can add/remove tenants access rights on change over etc

They do have manual over ride from inside though which makes them acceptable for means of escape purposes.

There's a whole grey area with regards to insurance cover though when fitted to a front door.
Smart locks. Jesus. Bang head here.

I meant a thumb turn lock. You need a key to get in, to get out you turn the knob. Eleven euros from Screwfix.
(3) thanks from:
11-09-2019, 12:54   #59
Claw Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by denartha View Post
Smart locks. Jesus. Bang head here.

I meant a thumb turn lock. You need a key to get in, to get out you turn the knob. Eleven euros from Screwfix.
That is just for the cylinder. how much for the casing, faceplate and receiver?
11-09-2019, 13:00   #60
denartha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claw Hammer View Post
That is just for the cylinder. how much for the casing, faceplate and receiver?
Not huge money. I'm sure the OP could afford to spring for it himself.

My point is, there is a page and a half of replies here saying why it can't be done, health and safety, what if theres a fire etc etc etc.

It can be done, with no fire hazard aspect, and for not a lot of money.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion