Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-09-2019, 01:30   #16
Topgear on Dave

I rarely had a bedroom lock and iv been through a few shared houses.

If I couldn't trust the other occupants in a small house then it was time for one of us to leave.
Advertisement
10-09-2019, 08:00   #17
L1011

A standard two lever warded lock has about as much security as a Keep Out sign if you have significant security concerns
(3) thanks from:
10-09-2019, 08:05   #18
BrownFinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1011 View Post
A standard two lever warded lock has about as much security as a Keep Out sign if you have significant security concerns
I've never seen a warded lock in a house.
10-09-2019, 08:09   #19
L1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownFinger View Post
I've never seen a warded lock in a house.
My terminology may not be right. The two lever non pin tumbler locks with about 40 potential positions that are the default on Irish interior doors and as replacements can be opened by anyone who has spent ten minutes we googling
Thanks from:
10-09-2019, 08:38   #20
kceire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandana boy View Post
If fire regs are the issue then a thumb lock should do the trick .
Yep, Thumb locks are fine, and are perfect for final exits etc

But the OP wants a removable key that he can lock from the outside or inside.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-09-2019, 09:26   #21
ChewBerecca

Back when I was in college, one of my friends lived in a few house shares. Not having a lock on her bedroom door caused her major issues (housemates friend once soiled her mattress when she went home for a weekend, she wasn't asked if they could stay in her room) and put her in physical danger in another as one of her male housemates kept coming into her room at night after a few drinks. The other housemates were his friends in this particular house so she ended up being the one who had to leave as the landlord didn't believe someone entering your room uninvited at night it was enough to evict the culprit.

She fully believes a lock on the door would have helped her in both houses as the people involved wouldn't have been intent on causing so much damage that they would break a door or pick a lock.
(4) thanks from:
10-09-2019, 09:43   #22
hotshot88

Thanks for the replies all.
The issue isn't my flatmate, I don't invade his personal space and he doesn't invade mine.

my main concern is if he has mates over and they don't have a problem invading my personal space and using my stuff without my knowledge. I've known some people like that over the years and it can lead to problems. It's just not something to cause a fuss over if it hasn't happened(yet?).

In the absence of a lock, would a personal security camera in the bedroom be a better solution?. or would this be a violation?
10-09-2019, 10:16   #23
Xterminator

Is there already a door handle/ lock mechanism on the door, that you dont have a key to? Or are there no keyholes at all?

because its 12.99 for a new lock in woodies and if the fitting is already there, you can simple awop out, with a screwdriver, and swop back befoe you move out. No drilling etc.
https://www.woodies.ie/yale-2-lever-...5-brass-458908

But if there isn't one, then you could ask the landlord would he object, to your fitting one. you could offer hima spare key, so he doesn't get stuck changing them again when you move out.
10-09-2019, 10:31   #24
TheBoyConor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanish Eyes View Post

I understand what people are saying about fire safety and so on, but surely a bedroom door is only plywood (mainly) and could be kicked in if necessary. The bedroom owner keeps the key on him/her at all times.
I often hear this. It is dangerous thinking.

Kicking a door down is often not as easy as you'd think. Not to mind when it is in the panic situation of a house fire, possibly pitch dark, you possibly breathing in smoke. You might not be able to lay your hand on the key in the dark and panic. Thinking you'd kick in a door or smash a window with ease in a fire is the rock you'd perish on. You literally may only have seconds to do it. And someone who is very young or very old or sick or otherwise limited in their physical strength would have even less hope.

It is an extremely dangerous situation to require a key to open a door from inside. It should never be the case.
A good compromise is to use a door lock/latch that has a thumbwheel on the inside so that you can open it from inside the room without the key. The key is only used to lock/unlock the door from the outside. Much safer. It is actually a mandatory requriement for any external door. Keys to open from inside is illegal now.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-09-2019, 10:31   #25
riffmongous

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewBerecca View Post
Back when I was in college, one of my friends lived in a few house shares. Not having a lock on her bedroom door caused her major issues (housemates friend once soiled her mattress when she went home for a weekend, she wasn't asked if they could stay in her room) and put her in physical danger in another as one of her male housemates kept coming into her room at night after a few drinks. The other housemates were his friends in this particular house so she ended up being the one who had to leave as the landlord didn't believe someone entering your room uninvited at night it was enough to evict the culprit.

She fully believes a lock on the door would have helped her in both houses as the people involved wouldn't have been intent on causing so much damage that they would break a door or pick a lock.
The physical danger can be solved with a wedge in future if there is no lock
(3) thanks from:
10-09-2019, 10:42   #26
beauf

I don't think I'd be replying on kicking your way though a door. Even those hollow doors, with cardboard in the center take a while to get though.
You'd actually go though a plasterboard wall far easier.

I'm rarely in a new build, I never noticed the lack of keys in new builds. if I upgrade my own house its something that would be useful to change in the future.
10-09-2019, 11:01   #27
hotshot88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xterminator View Post
Is there already a door handle/ lock mechanism on the door, that you dont have a key to? Or are there no keyholes at all?

because its 12.99 for a new lock in woodies and if the fitting is already there, you can simple awop out, with a screwdriver, and swop back befoe you move out. No drilling etc.
https://www.woodies.ie/yale-2-lever-...5-brass-458908

But if there isn't one, then you could ask the landlord would he object, to your fitting one. you could offer hima spare key, so he doesn't get stuck changing them again when you move out.
Pretty sure that would violate the lease, thanks for trying though
10-09-2019, 11:10   #28
Claw Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kceire View Post
Yep, Thumb locks are fine, and are perfect for final exits etc

But the OP wants a removable key that he can lock from the outside or inside.
All he needs is a thumb turn on the inside and the ability to lock it from the outside when he is outside. Plenty of euro-profile locks are made that way.
(3) thanks from:
10-09-2019, 11:14   #29
Claw Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotshot88 View Post
Pretty sure that would violate the lease, thanks for trying though
Is it the case that there is a lock there and you have no key or, there is no lock there at all?
10-09-2019, 11:32   #30
hotshot88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claw Hammer View Post
Is it the case that there is a lock there and you have no key or, there is no lock there at all?
no lock at all

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion