Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
10-09-2019, 01:30   #16
Topgear on Dave
Registered User
 
Topgear on Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 2,261
I rarely had a bedroom lock and iv been through a few shared houses.

If I couldn't trust the other occupants in a small house then it was time for one of us to leave.
Topgear on Dave is offline  
Advertisement
10-09-2019, 08:00   #17
L1011
Moderator
 
L1011's Avatar
A standard two lever warded lock has about as much security as a Keep Out sign if you have significant security concerns
L1011 is online now  
(3) thanks from:
10-09-2019, 08:05   #18
BrownFinger
Registered User
 
BrownFinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by L1011 View Post
A standard two lever warded lock has about as much security as a Keep Out sign if you have significant security concerns
I've never seen a warded lock in a house.
BrownFinger is offline  
10-09-2019, 08:09   #19
L1011
Moderator
 
L1011's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownFinger View Post
I've never seen a warded lock in a house.
My terminology may not be right. The two lever non pin tumbler locks with about 40 potential positions that are the default on Irish interior doors and as replacements can be opened by anyone who has spent ten minutes we googling
L1011 is online now  
Thanks from:
10-09-2019, 08:38   #20
kceire
Moderator
 
kceire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 23,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandana boy View Post
If fire regs are the issue then a thumb lock should do the trick .
Yep, Thumb locks are fine, and are perfect for final exits etc

But the OP wants a removable key that he can lock from the outside or inside.
kceire is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-09-2019, 09:26   #21
ChewBerecca
Registered User
 
ChewBerecca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 51
Back when I was in college, one of my friends lived in a few house shares. Not having a lock on her bedroom door caused her major issues (housemates friend once soiled her mattress when she went home for a weekend, she wasn't asked if they could stay in her room) and put her in physical danger in another as one of her male housemates kept coming into her room at night after a few drinks. The other housemates were his friends in this particular house so she ended up being the one who had to leave as the landlord didn't believe someone entering your room uninvited at night it was enough to evict the culprit.

She fully believes a lock on the door would have helped her in both houses as the people involved wouldn't have been intent on causing so much damage that they would break a door or pick a lock.
ChewBerecca is offline  
(4) thanks from:
10-09-2019, 09:43   #22
hotshot88
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 73
Thanks for the replies all.
The issue isn't my flatmate, I don't invade his personal space and he doesn't invade mine.

my main concern is if he has mates over and they don't have a problem invading my personal space and using my stuff without my knowledge. I've known some people like that over the years and it can lead to problems. It's just not something to cause a fuss over if it hasn't happened(yet?).

In the absence of a lock, would a personal security camera in the bedroom be a better solution?. or would this be a violation?
hotshot88 is offline  
10-09-2019, 10:16   #23
Xterminator
Registered User
 
Xterminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 3,576
Is there already a door handle/ lock mechanism on the door, that you dont have a key to? Or are there no keyholes at all?

because its 12.99 for a new lock in woodies and if the fitting is already there, you can simple awop out, with a screwdriver, and swop back befoe you move out. No drilling etc.
https://www.woodies.ie/yale-2-lever-...5-brass-458908

But if there isn't one, then you could ask the landlord would he object, to your fitting one. you could offer hima spare key, so he doesn't get stuck changing them again when you move out.
Xterminator is offline  
10-09-2019, 10:31   #24
TheBoyConor
Registered User
 
TheBoyConor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 1,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanish Eyes View Post
...

I understand what people are saying about fire safety and so on, but surely a bedroom door is only plywood (mainly) and could be kicked in if necessary. The bedroom owner keeps the key on him/her at all times.
I often hear this. It is dangerous thinking.

Kicking a door down is often not as easy as you'd think. Not to mind when it is in the panic situation of a house fire, possibly pitch dark, you possibly breathing in smoke. You might not be able to lay your hand on the key in the dark and panic. Thinking you'd kick in a door or smash a window with ease in a fire is the rock you'd perish on. You literally may only have seconds to do it. And someone who is very young or very old or sick or otherwise limited in their physical strength would have even less hope.


It is an extremely dangerous situation to require a key to open a door from inside. It should never be the case.
A good compromise is to use a door lock/latch that has a thumbwheel on the inside so that you can open it from inside the room without the key. The key is only used to lock/unlock the door from the outside. Much safer. It is actually a mandatory requriement for any external door. Keys to open from inside is illegal now.
TheBoyConor is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-09-2019, 10:31   #25
riffmongous
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewBerecca View Post
Back when I was in college, one of my friends lived in a few house shares. Not having a lock on her bedroom door caused her major issues (housemates friend once soiled her mattress when she went home for a weekend, she wasn't asked if they could stay in her room) and put her in physical danger in another as one of her male housemates kept coming into her room at night after a few drinks. The other housemates were his friends in this particular house so she ended up being the one who had to leave as the landlord didn't believe someone entering your room uninvited at night it was enough to evict the culprit.

She fully believes a lock on the door would have helped her in both houses as the people involved wouldn't have been intent on causing so much damage that they would break a door or pick a lock.
The physical danger can be solved with a wedge in future if there is no lock
riffmongous is offline  
(3) thanks from:
10-09-2019, 10:42   #26
beauf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 15,454
I don't think I'd be replying on kicking your way though a door. Even those hollow doors, with cardboard in the center take a while to get though.
You'd actually go though a plasterboard wall far easier.

I'm rarely in a new build, I never noticed the lack of keys in new builds. if I upgrade my own house its something that would be useful to change in the future.
beauf is offline  
10-09-2019, 11:01   #27
hotshot88
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xterminator View Post
Is there already a door handle/ lock mechanism on the door, that you dont have a key to? Or are there no keyholes at all?

because its 12.99 for a new lock in woodies and if the fitting is already there, you can simple awop out, with a screwdriver, and swop back befoe you move out. No drilling etc.
https://www.woodies.ie/yale-2-lever-...5-brass-458908

But if there isn't one, then you could ask the landlord would he object, to your fitting one. you could offer hima spare key, so he doesn't get stuck changing them again when you move out.
Pretty sure that would violate the lease, thanks for trying though
hotshot88 is offline  
10-09-2019, 11:10   #28
Claw Hammer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 2,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by kceire View Post
Yep, Thumb locks are fine, and are perfect for final exits etc

But the OP wants a removable key that he can lock from the outside or inside.
All he needs is a thumb turn on the inside and the ability to lock it from the outside when he is outside. Plenty of euro-profile locks are made that way.
Claw Hammer is offline  
(3) thanks from:
10-09-2019, 11:14   #29
Claw Hammer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 2,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotshot88 View Post
Pretty sure that would violate the lease, thanks for trying though
Is it the case that there is a lock there and you have no key or, there is no lock there at all?
Claw Hammer is offline  
10-09-2019, 11:32   #30
hotshot88
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claw Hammer View Post
Is it the case that there is a lock there and you have no key or, there is no lock there at all?
no lock at all
hotshot88 is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet