Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-09-2019, 10:42   #61
Cork_exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
You appear to be calling for an almost blanket ban on planting in most urban or suburban areas apart from potted plants.

Are you sure that's what we want?
Not at all but the maintenance and safety of it should completely fall on the person planting.

Height limits should be applied (or agreed on in advance)
Root spread needs to be tackled in advance.
All detritus should be responsibility of planter/owner

Basically you plant it, you own it, you maintain it and "Don't be a dick"
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
10-09-2019, 12:00   #62
Kaskade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cork_exile View Post
Not at all but the maintenance and safety of it should completely fall on the person planting.

Height limits should be applied (or agreed on in advance)
Root spread needs to be tackled in advance.
All detritus should be responsibility of planter/owner

Basically you plant it, you own it, you maintain it and "Don't be a dick"

I would disagree with this. The neighbours planning permission states that they had to play a hedge between 12 month. They did not. They are benefiting from our free hedge with regard to privacy and saving money on not planting their own. If they were going to sell their house they would be quick to claim their side of the hedge so that they comply with planning,
10-09-2019, 12:02   #63
Kaskade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav010 View Post
Do it for the person you are selling the house to. While I was on your side up to this and don’t see why so many people think you are responsible for cutting back trees inside your neighbors boundary, this new piece of info changes my opinion. Don’t have the new owner starting off with a boundary issue, cut it, say goodbye to the pest next door and walk away the bigger man.

I totally agree with you and as I said in the previous post I will cut it so that the purchaser isn’t left dealing with the mess. I would never do that to anybody. And I will gladly walk away from the pest as the bigger man!
Thanks from:
10-09-2019, 12:13   #64
Cork_exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaskade View Post
I would disagree with this. The neighbours planning permission states that they had to play a hedge between 12 month. They did not. They are benefiting from our free hedge with regard to privacy and saving money on not planting their own. If they were going to sell their house they would be quick to claim their side of the hedge so that they comply with planning,
They not having a hedge is not the issue here. They may have been required but your planting is a separate issue.
Stop trying to justify your own hedge like this.

Legality is on your side and that is what many people around the county have issue with.
I've seen people destroy neighbours' gardens by cutting all light from there and allowing roots destroy lawns. Planting law and boundary rights need to be amended.

Last edited by Cork_exile; 10-09-2019 at 12:18.
10-09-2019, 13:01   #65
Kaskade

Quote:
They not having a hedge is not the issue here. They may have been required but your planting is a separate issue.
Stop trying to justify your own hedge like this.

Legality is on your side and that is what many people around the county have issue with.
I've seen people destroy neighbours' gardens by cutting all light from there and allowing roots destroy lawns. Planting law and boundary rights need to be amended.
No longer my problem thankfully as the house is sold but if I suggest ripping it out they would be the first to go mad
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-09-2019, 13:36   #66
Cork_exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaskade View Post
No longer my problem thankfully as the house is sold but if I suggest ripping it out they would be the first to go mad
Again this is all about justifying your own actions, not that of your "awkward" neighbour.

Don't quite understand this thread to be honest. Look you wanted to know where you stood legally, basically until damage is being done you need to do nothing, but seem to be looking for validation of your actions also.
10-09-2019, 13:43   #67
Dav010

Quote:
Again this is all about justifying your own actions, not that of your "awkward" neighbour.

Don't quite understand this thread to be honest. Look you wanted to know where you stood legally, basically until damage is being done you need to do nothing, but seem to be looking for validation of your actions also.
Why do you keep saying this?

The op asked if he is legally required to cut branches overhanging into a neighbours property, the answer is you are not legally required to do anything on another persons property. The neighbour can cut what overhangs the boundary, but the op does not have to cut their side.

Whether he should, or not is a subjective opinion, but not one based on obligation. If your neighbour is a dick and has made life difficult, then not many people are inclined to do a good deed for them, so spare us the moral outrage please.

Last edited by Dav010; 10-09-2019 at 13:55.
(3) thanks from:
10-09-2019, 13:45   #68
Fringegirl

Well I don't think anyone can demand that you cut the hedge but I know I will be 'maintaining' the hedge that my neighbours kindly planted right on the boundary line. It's actually over the boundary into mine at some parts (surely the should have planted inside their own garden or at least asked).

Anything on my side of the boundary is OK to maintain yes? Interested to know if they own the hedge because they planted it or is it now considered a 'party hedge' because its on the boundary?
10-09-2019, 13:56   #69
Kaskade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fringegirl View Post
Well I don't think anyone can demand that you cut the hedge but I know I will be 'maintaining' the hedge that my neighbours kindly planted right on the boundary line. It's actually over the boundary into mine at some parts (surely the should have planted inside their own garden or at least asked).

Anything on my side of the boundary is OK to maintain yes? Interested to know if they own the hedge because they planted it or is it now considered a 'party hedge' because its on the boundary?
From what I’ve read you are welcome to maintain and trim anything over banging on your side.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
10-09-2019, 14:49   #70
stratowide

If I was the OP I'd leave the hedge as it is.Do nothing with it.If you are happy with it.

If I was the neighbour I'd get the chainsaw/hedge cutter out and anything overhanging my side of the border is coming down.Regardless.

Any downed branches will be returned to their owner.

Have a nice day.
Thanks from:
10-09-2019, 15:46   #71
Ray Palmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratowide View Post
If I was the OP I'd leave the hedge as it is.Do nothing with it.If you are happy with it.

If I was the neighbour I'd get the chainsaw/hedge cutter out and anything overhanging my side of the border is coming down.Regardless.

Any downed branches will be returned to their owner.

Have a nice day.
And if the neighbour doesn't want the branches? They don't have to take them and if they are dumped on their property it is illegally dumping.

If branches over hand into your property you can cut them and have to OFFER them back but they don't have to accept them.
10-09-2019, 17:00   #72
Wildly Boaring

It is some mess though isn't it.

Say I've a half acre site out the country and i build a lovely fence along the boundary.

Johnny buys a new site next door and fires in a hedge two foot back from the boundary.

Johnny gets to direct the type and height of my newly acquired hedge. I have to buy a hedge cutter for few hundred euro. I now have to reach through/over my own fence to keep his white thorn or laurel or privot or beach or whatever cut. I have to dispose if a trailer load of cuttings 3 or 4 times a year and I can't cut the top of it.

No one can really see my lovely fence.

And then he'd get to tell me how I benefited from his lovely hedge.
10-09-2019, 17:42   #73
Cork_exile

Bingo
Thanks from:
10-09-2019, 17:47   #74
antix80

If my neighbour planted a hedge on the boundary and didn't cut it I'd plant some nice bind weed on my side of the boundary. Or I'd just not play games and tear the whole lot out.
You planted it knowing it would encroach on his garden. Keep it tidy or lose it.
10-09-2019, 17:49   #75
antix80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Palmer View Post
And if the neighbour doesn't want the branches? They don't have to take them and if they are dumped on their property it is illegally dumping.

If branches over hand into your property you can cut them and have to OFFER them back but they don't have to accept them.
This is gob****ery that people keep posting. Take it with a pinch of salt.

Seems to apply to trees rather than hedges or weeds anyway.

Last edited by antix80; 10-09-2019 at 17:52.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion