Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-09-2019, 23:55   #1
Steve
Life is hard, deal with it.

CCTV in housing estate

Can anyone advise on the legalities of putting up a community CCTV system in a housing estate.

Several car break-ins recently.

Is it ok for individuals to put up their own cameras and share the feed or has there to be a more central system?

There is only one entrance to the estate so a sign there would not be a problem.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
06-09-2019, 08:27   #2
Dav010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Can anyone advise on the legalities of putting up a community CCTV system in a housing estate.

Is it ok for individuals to put up their own cameras and share the feed or has there to be a more central system?

There is only one entrance to the estate so a sign there would not be a problem.
As far as I know, you can put up a security camera on your own property, as long as it is not pointed at anyone else’s. But I doubt you can put a camera on public property or pointing outward from your own to monitor people as the legally use public property. If you put signs up and record people coming and going, would you become a data controller and subject to GDRP regs?
Thanks from:
06-09-2019, 11:14   #3
Bluefoam

Theres definitley GDPR issues.

My parents neighbours put up a pretty serious CCTV system, but asked first. They both agreed to also capture part of my parent property and they agreed similar with other neighbours. Now about three houses adjascent each other have CCTV & it has proven useful on a number of occassions...

My younger brother is in a relatively new estate & allot of people have either CCTV or WiFi cameras... Personal privacy should be the first thing taken into account. You have to clearly indicate that CCTV is in operation...
06-09-2019, 11:19   #4
Xterminator

setup a neighbourhood watch with neighbours.

https://www.garda.ie/en/Crime-Preven...ood-Watch.html

ask about community cctv, for your neighbourhood

https://www.garda.ie/en/Crime-Preven...formation.html
(2) thanks from:
07-09-2019, 01:47   #5
Steve
Life is hard, deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xterminator View Post
setup a neighbourhood watch with neighbours.

https://www.garda.ie/en/Crime-Preven...ood-Watch.html

ask about community cctv, for your neighbourhood

https://www.garda.ie/en/Crime-Preven...formation.html
Thanks, good info there.

There is already a neighborhood watch system in operation and a healthy whatsapp group for the residents, any suspicious stuff gets reported pretty quick there.

I'm even thinking that fake cameras and a sign would be a strong deterrent.
Advertisement
07-09-2019, 08:29   #6
jayjay2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post

OP, I highly recommend investing in a Ring Doorbell. You can find them on sites like Argos for about €100.

They are easy to install, discreet enough and you can access the camera through an app on your phone. I have bought some for me and my family members and everyone loves it.

One of the best investments I've made, especially at only €100.
07-09-2019, 08:57   #7
ScallionAyter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay2010 View Post
OP, I highly recommend investing in a Ring Doorbell. You can find them on sites like Argos for about €100.

They are easy to install, discreet enough and you can access the camera through an app on your phone. I have bought some for me and my family members and everyone loves it.

Is there any subscription / recurring cost?
07-09-2019, 08:58   #8
Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScallionAyter View Post
Is there any subscription / recurring cost?
A small yearly fee of about €30 to enable saving clips to the cloud.
07-09-2019, 09:00   #9
listermint

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay2010 View Post

Limited reach. Tbh. They're grand buy they are not a CCTV system.

For an extra 50 quid you'll get a 4 camera solution on Amazon offering same picture quality but covering more area and offering actual evidence rather than a wide angle view off your front door.

There's a place for them in the market but as home CCTV. No.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
07-09-2019, 09:02   #10
LuasSimon

Isn’t it sad what society has to think of these days .. CCTV etc .... we are too tolerant around scumbags robbing and the soft on crime government
07-09-2019, 22:47   #11
ted1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuasSimon View Post
Isn’t it sad what society has to think of these days .. CCTV etc .... we are too tolerant around scumbags robbing and the soft on crime government
A lot of it is down to working couples. Growing up in an Estate in the 80s and 90s, every house on the road was occupied during the day with house wife’s now a days it’s rare to find an occupied house during the day

Last edited by ted1; 07-09-2019 at 23:02.
(3) thanks from:
08-09-2019, 07:20   #12
pwurple

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted1 View Post
A lot of it is down to working couples. Growing up in an Estate in the 80s and 90s, every house on the road was occupied during the day with house wife’s now a days it’s rare to find an occupied house during the day
Oh that’s it of course, it’s all the fault of those women with their working notions.

I was in town yesterday, left the car in a loading bay while I dropped something in to a shop. I came back to my car and saw a woman trying the door handle of each car on the street in turn. She got to my car as I came up the street behind her... she was being fairly rough with the handle and giving the window a shove. I asked if I could help her, and she said “oh, my boyfriend has the keys, just wanted to sit into the car while I wait”. I told her it was my car and she legged it.

The city is rougher than it was ten years ago, from where I stand. Literally every time I go into the city I see either a crime or an attempted crime these days. I don’t know if it’s substance abuse, homelessness, lack of social integration... But visible crime looks like it is up.

You can tell me that is all because this woman’s mother had a job, but I doubt it.
08-09-2019, 07:43   #13
embraer170

Quote:
Originally Posted by listermint View Post
For an extra 50 quid you'll get a 4 camera solution on Amazon offering same picture quality but covering more area and offering actual evidence rather than a wide angle view off your front door.
What camera system do you recommend?
08-09-2019, 07:47   #14
The high horse brigade

You do know you'll not be able to use the footage unless you get it installed by a PSA registered installer. It will be for personal use only
08-09-2019, 07:49   #15
thomas anderson.

Put CCTV on my own house pointing out onto a public footpath and road because my car kept getting robbed.

The footage was later used in court without issue. I have even had the guards and neighbours call for footage from their own incidents without problems.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion