Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-08-2019, 13:03   #46
Juwwi

Would you buy a second had car off the vendors ?, l definitely wouldn't after reading your story so far .

It would be crazy to go ahead imo ,if something major shows up a few years down the line you'll ever forgive yourself .

Last edited by Juwwi; 17-08-2019 at 15:22.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
17-08-2019, 13:21   #47
Murt10

House prices are falling at the moment.

Do yourself a favour and start looking at other houses in the area. Chances are that you'll get a better house now for less money. Plus, other houses will have come on the market since you started looking.

Also, if there was a house that you fancied last time round that was out of your price range, that's still on the market, then maybe the sellers are prepared to accept a lower offer. If it hasn't sold already then they are looking for too much.

Best advice I ever got when buying a house was "if you're not embarrassed by the size of your 1st offer, then you're offering too much".
You can always increase a lowball offer. The 1st offer is just an indication of interest and nobody ever accepts the first offer

If the seller doesn't sell very quickly, the chances are that they won't complete until next year. Ask the EA you are dealing with if he has any other similar properties, as you are considering pulling out.
17-08-2019, 14:38   #48
sjb25

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGuy View Post
. Why else would they not be allowing access?
This you have said it yourself big red flags I think I'd of just pulled out already but if I really liked the house I may try one more time tell them I've all my people booked to inspect I need access or its no deal right now make your choice if the say no then fair enough best of luck to you would be my response
17-08-2019, 17:40   #49
Dolbhad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murt10 View Post

Best advice I ever got when buying a house was "if you're not embarrassed by the size of your 1st offer, then you're offering too much".
You can always increase a lowball offer. The 1st offer is just an indication of interest and nobody ever accepts the first offer
That’s great advice. I was bidding on a house recently and first bid that went it was at asking and I was going why did they do that!! The sellers thought the house is worth way more than they thought and suddenly only wanted bids of 5k or more. We walked away. I wanted to get the first bid and go 20k under asking to set the tone, and let it raise in it’s own time to around asking. But we were the second viewing so couldn’t get the first bid in. We had a debate was 20k under very cheeky but I honestly didn’t think so as I thought asking price was actually the right price for the house.

House is still on the market at moment.
17-08-2019, 18:06   #50
FutureGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juwwi View Post
Would you buy a second had car off the vendors ?, l definitely wouldn't after reading your story so far .

It would be crazy to go ahead imo ,if something major shows up a few years down the line you'll ever forgive yourself .
Right now, I wouldn’t buy an Xbox because I’m not allowed check it properly.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
18-08-2019, 00:29   #51
the_syco

Quote:
the only thing it will say is that it needs to be inspected - and we are not allowed send anyone else.
Ask one more time. When they say no, demand that they return the deposit.

If that doesn't change their tune, you'll know that it's time to walk away.
(2) thanks from:
18-08-2019, 08:48   #52
ted1

Quote:
It took 3 weeks to get their papers to our solicitors. Because of this we had to effectively start our engineer search from scratch - that took a week to complete (there were cheaper quicker engineers but it’s the most important piece to get right so had to get the best we could) and about 7 days to get him on site (busy time of year).

We are bending over backwards. Their solicitor goes of on holidays and we eventually have to change the engineer as a result.

We book the plumber for last week, they cancel last minute and now won’t give access to the plumber, drains and electrician.

We get the engineer out last Thursday and they say they want contacts signed the following week (!?!). We told them there wasn’t a hope because that would give 0 days to read, complete recommended checks and then sign contracts.

We have been open and communicative at every step. We’d have the engineer and subsequent visits done weeks ago had it not been for the delay.
Three weeks isn’t a long time when it comes to house contracts.
18-08-2019, 09:25   #53
carltonleon

Quote:
I have currently no proof that they are hiding anything. They may just be pressuring us. The transaction hasn't been the smoothest given the delay from their solicitor and then us having to scramble to get a new engineer, so they are probably getting pressure from their buyer on the house they are trying to buy.

But I cannot understand how denying us access for our electrician/plumber/drains cctv is going to help do anything but end the sale entirely.

I'm so frustrated because it's completely ****ing unreasonable on their behalf. We've been running around in circles getting a new engineer and when we do get him in, saying they want contracts signed this time the next week (5 working days). I mean what planet do you live on when you think that soneone will sign contracts 5 working days from an engineer visit? And then as we are due to get the report, deny us access to the house?
Sure that makes no sense!!! If they want things to be done quickly (applying pressure) then the simple thing is to let your tradesmen in which will in turn speed up the process as you would be happier and more content and thus more likely to sign the contracts if the tradesmen say all is ok. What they are in fact doing is counterproductive and is actually delaying the process as you now have serious doubts. What possible good reason can they have to deny access to tradesmen other than to possibly hide a known issue. If it was me and I did not get access to all I wanted then I would walk away.
18-08-2019, 09:35   #54
kceire

I’m not saying the vendors are hiding or not hiding anything here but it would be extremely rare to allow plumbers and electricians into a Propety you are buying.

The norm would be your Surveyor for the visual pre purchase survey. Anything beyond that is out of the norm.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
18-08-2019, 09:51   #55
PlentyOhToole

Quote:
Originally Posted by kceire View Post
I’m not saying the vendors are hiding or not hiding anything here but it would be extremely rare to allow plumbers and electricians into a Propety you are buying.

The norm would be your Surveyor for the visual pre purchase survey. Anything beyond that is out of the norm.
I was selling a house a few years ago- the purchasers wanted to get their tradesmen in, in advance of purchase, so they could plan out home improvements ASAP- i.e measure up, snag list what needed doing etc - the house was in need of some obvious modernisation - the boiler for example- that was all obvious -

while at the time we felt there was a risk of the purchasers coming back and saying x is wrong or y isn't right, I felt that the house itself obviously needed updating and since they wanted that work done asap after purchase, it made sense for them to plan the work before they moved in. So we organised a day where all could visit and do what they wanted to do.

All worked out fine and the purchasers were most grateful.

I think if you feel the purchasers are genuine, there's no harm in doing this; it keeps them on side also.

In this particular case, should the engineer not assessed the drains, used CCTV etc etc? A plumber will only be able to tell you that a drain is collapsed- it would require an engineer to tell you the implications of that.
18-08-2019, 10:12   #56
FutureGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlentyOhToole View Post
I was selling a house a few years ago- the purchasers wanted to get their tradesmen in, in advance of purchase, so they could plan out home improvements ASAP- i.e measure up, snag list what needed doing etc - the house was in need of some obvious modernisation - the boiler for example- that was all obvious -

while at the time we felt there was a risk of the purchasers coming back and saying x is wrong or y isn't right, I felt that the house itself obviously needed updating and since they wanted that work done asap after purchase, it made sense for them to plan the work before they moved in. So we organised a day where all could visit and do what they wanted to do.

All worked out fine and the purchasers were most grateful.

I think if you feel the purchasers are genuine, there's no harm in doing this; it keeps them on side also.

In this particular case, should the engineer not assessed the drains, used CCTV etc etc? A plumber will only be able to tell you that a drain is collapsed- it would require an engineer to tell you the implications of that.
The engineer could not access the manhole out the back. They have raised the level of part of the back by half a meter. There is a cover at new garden level which opens and exposes the original manhole. That has been essentially wedged shut by the the resining of the garden. He said you’d nearly need to smash the cover to access it. He recommended a specially with CCTV to check it.
18-08-2019, 10:25   #57
Sonny noggs
Banned

Not sure why you started the thread, OP. You know this is a major red flag but you don’t seem to be willing to accept it and move on.
Thanks from:
18-08-2019, 10:27   #58
Danzy

They are trying to pull one over you.
18-08-2019, 13:37   #59
FutureGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny noggs View Post
Not sure why you started the thread, OP. You know this is a major red flag but you don’t seem to be willing to accept it and move on.
I started to get others opinions. It’s easy to overlook signs or look to read too much into something.
Thanks from:
18-08-2019, 14:00   #60
KOR101

Quote:
I started to get others opinions. It’s easy to overlook signs or look to read too much into something.
Is it not normal for engineers to point out the limitations of their visual inspection? Has your engineer actually described this to you as something really important. Any engineer I've used has always pointed out what they couldn't determine to be alright but I could tell it was boilerplate arse covering.

If your solicitor is also good at finding potential issues, then it may be just a case of you sending the wrong signals to the buyer.

Buying a house is a big deal and mentally stressful. It's normal to be a bit paranoid. At the end of the day you have to make a judgement call on which issues really matter.

I once lost out on a good property because I queried the land registry documents for the property. What was described as 5 acres turned out to be 3.5 acres. I was eventually proven to be correct but I still lost out on the purchase.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion