Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
16-08-2019, 19:38   #16
STB.
Registered User
 
STB.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatranska View Post
You've not signed any contracts...walk away.
They are hiding something and you don't want to uncover it after the contract is signed.

Probably the buried remains of the previous engineers who discovered the cause of the subsidence issues.
STB. is offline  
Advertisement
16-08-2019, 19:39   #17
FutureGuy
Moderator
 
FutureGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by STB. View Post
Probably the buried remains of the previous engineers who discovered the cause of the subsidence issues.
That gave me a good laugh. Thanks.
FutureGuy is offline  
(2) thanks from:
16-08-2019, 19:44   #18
STB.
Registered User
 
STB.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGuy View Post
That gave me a good laugh. Thanks.

In all seriousness, subsidence, insurance companies wont touch you.


20% off the price for starters. Most people walk away from headaches. As said earlier, red flags galore here.
STB. is offline  
Thanks from:
16-08-2019, 19:46   #19
FutureGuy
Moderator
 
FutureGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by STB. View Post
In all seriousness, subsidence, insurance companies wont touch you.


20% off the price for starters. Most people walk away from headaches. As said earlier, red flags galore here.
Just to clarify again, it's subsidence in the neighbours and we can see the border wall is also showing a few signs.
FutureGuy is offline  
16-08-2019, 19:48   #20
tigger123
Registered User
 
tigger123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,526
Walked away from the purchase of a house just before xmas (for different reasons).

It can be hard to leave it behind, but you'll get over it quick enough, trust me. If you can afford this house, you can afford another one in the same area without whatever issues may or may not be lurking underneath.
tigger123 is offline  
Advertisement
16-08-2019, 20:00   #21
STB.
Registered User
 
STB.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGuy View Post
Just to clarify again, it's subsidence in the neighbours and we can see the border wall is also showing a few signs.

I understand. What is the cause though ? And how far has the problem extended ? Your engineer and the access he requires can only answer that. He is not going to sign off on a report until he gets that answer.

You could call into the neighbour and say hello and shimmy around the subject.

Don't be pressurised. The vendor may already know the extent of issues and is hoping you wont!
STB. is offline  
Thanks from:
16-08-2019, 20:02   #22
FutureGuy
Moderator
 
FutureGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,114
I'm actually really angry. It feels like they asked us to get the engineer done so we are are more likely to be locked into the sale.
FutureGuy is offline  
Thanks from:
16-08-2019, 20:03   #23
TheValeyard
Registered User
 
TheValeyard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 4,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGuy View Post
Just to clarify again, it's subsidence in the neighbours and we can see the border wall is also showing a few signs.
I'd be very worried that it'd not merely in the neighbours. I think there is more than meets the eye here. Do you know if any other houses in the area that are affected.

I'd wonder if you could get insurance on the property?

Is the neighbours house an end terrace house. Mates had a problem with this before, a neighbours house with subsidence ended up affecting there house.
TheValeyard is offline  
Thanks from:
16-08-2019, 20:06   #24
FutureGuy
Moderator
 
FutureGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by STB. View Post
I understand. What is the cause though ? And how far has the problem extended ? Your engineer and the access he requires can only answer that. He is not going to sign off on a report until he gets that answer.

You could call into the neighbour and say hello and shimmy around the subject.

Don't be pressurised. The vendor may already know the extent of issues and is hoping you wont!
It's essentially along the outside wall dividing the main house with the extended kitchen. You can see it from our garden. That extension essentially runs over the drainage. You are right, we have to wait for the engineer report but the only thing it will say is that it needs to be inspected - and we are not allowed send anyone else.
FutureGuy is offline  
Advertisement
16-08-2019, 20:07   #25
FutureGuy
Moderator
 
FutureGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheValeyard View Post
I'd be very worried that it'd not merely in the neighbours. I think there is more than meets the eye here. Do you know if any other houses in the area that are affected.

I'd wonder if you could get insurance on the property?

Is the neighbours house an end terrace house. Mates had a problem with this before, a neighbours house with subsidence ended up affecting there house.
No it's not the end of terrace.
FutureGuy is offline  
16-08-2019, 20:28   #26
Corruptedmorals
Registered User
 
Corruptedmorals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGuy View Post
Sorry, I don't understand when you say "survey dependant on contracts"?
Just where you mentioned that the solicitor delay with documents delayed you contacting the first engineer. Was that another condition? We contacted engineer company the next working day after sale agreed and they were in within the week so it was independent of solicitors. The seller's solicitor didn't send anything to ours until 7 weeks after sale agreed. So I was curious about the connection between the two.

The seller is playing an impossible game here. Trying to get you to pay money without verifying your (enormous!) purchase. Really outrageous behaviour.
Corruptedmorals is offline  
Thanks from:
16-08-2019, 20:36   #27
FutureGuy
Moderator
 
FutureGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corruptedmorals View Post
Just where you mentioned that the solicitor delay with documents delayed you contacting the first engineer. Was that another condition? We contacted engineer company the next working day after sale agreed and they were in within the week so it was independent of solicitors. The seller's solicitor didn't send anything to ours until 7 weeks after sale agreed. So I was curious about the connection between the two.

The seller is playing an impossible game here. Trying to get you to pay money without verifying your (enormous!) purchase. Really outrageous behaviour.
Appreciate the explanation - there was paperwork that our solicitor needed before an engineer went out for inspection. By the time he received it, the engineer was about to go on holidays. There was a 3 week window for their solicitor to get this done. They failed and we are paying for it with stress and pressure since then.
FutureGuy is offline  
Thanks from:
16-08-2019, 20:39   #28
blergh
Registered User
 
blergh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 2,305
Multiple gas leaks. Dodgy piping, flue, gas tank. Entire central heating system needed to be replaced.
Issue with drain not emptying.
Maintenance required on septic system.
Leaky garage roof, needed to be reassembled.
Concealed crumbling mouldy plaster from water damage.
Probable minor leak under screed subfloor.
Fireplace is a fire hazard, violates regulations.
The exterior paint has gone very patchy and requires redoing.

I feel I've left something out. But that's a list of issues we've uncovered so far with the house we bought a year ago. Cost of repairs well into five figures and continuing to accumulate. We did get a survey. He discovered zero items of the above list.

People do sell houses with significant issues. Refusal to let you check for them means you should absolutely assume there are major issues that would make you not buy the property at all.
blergh is offline  
16-08-2019, 20:47   #29
FutureGuy
Moderator
 
FutureGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by blergh View Post
Multiple gas leaks. Dodgy piping, flue, gas tank. Entire central heating system needed to be replaced.
Issue with drain not emptying.
Maintenance required on septic system.
Leaky garage roof, needed to be reassembled.
Concealed crumbling mouldy plaster from water damage.
Probable minor leak under screed subfloor.
Fireplace is a fire hazard, violates regulations.
The exterior paint has gone very patchy and requires redoing.

I feel I've left something out. But that's a list of issues we've uncovered so far with the house we bought a year ago. Cost of repairs well into five figures and continuing to accumulate. We did get a survey. He discovered zero items of the above list.

People do sell houses with significant issues. Refusal to let you check for them means you should absolutely assume there are major issues that would make you not buy the property at all.
I just read this to my wife. We deeply appreciate you sharing this and we are sorry for the nightmare you are going through.
FutureGuy is offline  
Thanks from:
16-08-2019, 22:28   #30
Dolbhad
Registered User
 
Dolbhad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGuy View Post
Just to clarify again, it's subsidence in the neighbours and we can see the border wall is also showing a few signs.
Will affect you insurance wise if in an area of subsidence. Either you won’t get cover for subsidence or if you do, it’s at a high cost. It may be that they are under pressure to sign their contracts and they can’t do that unless you sign. However it’s very unreasonable, especially in holiday season. If they are under this much pressure, they can’t afford a time delay to let it go back on market. Stay firm and insist on the checks or you can’t sign contracts.
Dolbhad is offline  
(3) thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet