Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-09-2019, 20:24   #16
angeleyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by antix80 View Post
There's the rental crisis sorted! Everyone should just buy their own house instead of renting. Sure you just solved the homeless crisis too. You deserve a nobel prize.
I did - didn't I? No need for a Nobel prize.

Not everyone should but maybe someone could ...It's just one option.

Best of luck O.P and continued success with your business.
Advertisement
11-09-2019, 20:31   #17
Mrs OBumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav010 View Post
Your Daddy, priest and BFF as well. Seriously, what LL would favour an accountant and client as a referee over someone with previous renting history and proof of a stable job/income?

Oh ffs, how do you think self-employed people provide the equivalent of employment references in general?
11-09-2019, 20:39   #18
Dav010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs OBumble View Post
Oh ffs, how do you think self-employed people provide the equivalent of employment references in general?
In relation to renting, and where they live at home, they can’t so offer larger deposits, simples.

It is not just a case of what the LL wants in relation to references, it is competition with other applicants for the property. They have references, the op doesn’t, so to make the op more appealing, and less of a risk in the LLs eyes, you offer a bigger deposit, not a meaningless letter from an accountant/client. Dear God, how does a client know what type of a tenant you are or your ability to pay rent, ffs.
12-09-2019, 09:56   #19
cruizer101

Obviously a reference from a previous LL is more valuable than from a client/accountant but in the absence of that some references are better than none, along with potentially an increased deposit/upfront rent.
12-09-2019, 10:06   #20
nox001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav010 View Post
In relation to renting, and where they live at home, they can’t so offer larger deposits, simples.

It is not just a case of what the LL wants in relation to references, it is competition with other applicants for the property. They have references, the op doesn’t, so to make the op more appealing, and less of a risk in the LLs eyes, you offer a bigger deposit, not a meaningless letter from an accountant/client. Dear God, how does a client know what type of a tenant you are or your ability to pay rent, ffs.
I don't see why a self employed person should be considered any more risky than an employee, they are potentially less risky in many ways.

There are a lot of self employed people out there I would not have seen it as any issue whatsoever in getting a rental.
Advertisement
12-09-2019, 10:09   #21
dartboardio

Easy. Fake your references. Or get a family member or friend to do them.

References are made up bs anyway so why not.
12-09-2019, 10:17   #22
nox001

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartboardio View Post

Any LL with half a brain and who puts in any effort to check out reference will easily se though fake references. Its not enough to just write up something references will be contacted.
Thanks from:
12-09-2019, 10:23   #23
Dav010

Quote:
Originally Posted by nox001 View Post
Any LL with half a brain and who puts in any effort to check out reference will easily se though fake references. Its not enough to just write up something references will be contacted.
With all the issues with finding rental accommodation, the risks LLs have to take, the competition for places between tenants, and the importance of references, it amazes me that people still think that a LL won’t check references.

To answer your earlier post about self employed, an employed person has a steady weekly wage, self employed often don’t. I doubt many landlords would have a problem with a self employed person with good references from previous landlords, but the op is finding that when you have no references and are self employed, you are behind other applicants.

Last edited by Dav010; 12-09-2019 at 10:27.
12-09-2019, 11:50   #24
Moomintroll99

My other half & I are both self employed.

We got a reference from our accountant confirming our annual income; I got a reference from my biggest client confirming I was contracted at x rate per month for x period of time; and we got a reference from an Airbnb host we'd had a place for a month from.

It was fine. This was in 2017 in an RPZ and landlord was happy enough, no need for bigger deposit etc.

Generally you need 2 years worth of income details from accountant. People who aren't self employed probably just don't know that this is how self employed people do things like get mortgages, credit cards, car finance, etc etc. It's pretty standard.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
12-09-2019, 12:22   #25
Username you choose

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartboardio View Post

Why would you encourage dishonest behaviour?
Thanks from:
12-09-2019, 13:33   #26
Dav010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username you choose View Post
Why would you encourage dishonest behaviour?
Nature?
12-09-2019, 14:40   #27
BrokenArrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by nox001 View Post
The new land lord has no way of verifying whether the person on the phone was actually a landlord or not.

Just get a friend or family member to pretend.
12-09-2019, 15:24   #28
Dav010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenArrows View Post
The new land lord has no way of verifying whether the person on the phone was actually a landlord or not.

Just get a friend or family member to pretend.
Do people actually believe this nonsense? Have you ever pretended to be someone/something you are not and then talked to someone who actually knows about what you are claiming to be? It’s pretty simple to spot a fake referee, both in work and rental situations, they just don’t know things they should when asked.

Last edited by Dav010; 12-09-2019 at 15:39.
(2) thanks from:
12-09-2019, 19:37   #29
beejee

I've heard all the reasons and excuses. But the bigger picture of it all is unseemly.

"please, oh please let me give you vast sums of money for the privacy and dignity of my own shelter!"

"no, not good enough, sorry".

What goes around comes around, and the same, equal treatment shall be shown in kind. Tick tock.

The whole scene leaves a very bad taste in your mouth. No way for a society to be.
Thanks from:
12-09-2019, 21:04   #30
Dav010

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejee View Post
I've heard all the reasons and excuses. But the bigger picture of it all is unseemly.

"please, oh please let me give you vast sums of money for the privacy and dignity of my own shelter!"

"no, not good enough, sorry".

What goes around comes around, and the same, equal treatment shall be shown in kind. Tick tock.

The whole scene leaves a very bad taste in your mouth. No way for a society to be.
Have you considered that the shelter is a an enormously expensive asset which is likely financed, and that a landlord takes a risk when entering a rental agreement with a tenant? Should the tenant stop paying, or become unable to pay rent, it is a lengthy, stressful and again, expensive process to remove them. The equal treatment you speak of is not shown to errant tenants, in most cases there are no repercussions for them.

If you owned such an asset, would you not try and limit risk by looking for references and taking deposits? Or would you be happy to let all comers take shelter, and absorb the crippling debt if they stop paying? for the benefit of society of course.

Bringing this back to the op, the property owner does not know the op, does not know how good a tenant he/she would be, but the LL might have 10 other people with references, so as the others have a track record, they are more appealing. How does the op get over not having bone fide references? money to limit the risk.

Last edited by Dav010; 12-09-2019 at 21:27.
(4) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion