Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation
5 stars (excellent) 108 76.06%
4 stars (good) 31 21.83%
3 stars (average) 2 1.41%
2 stars (poor) 0 0%
1 star (terrible) 1 0.70%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

23-10-2010, 20:14   #856
Red Belly

Is this taper madness?

Monday will be my first marathon. My last short run was yesterday.

All day today I feel as if I'm about to come down with a dose of something. Temperature is fine, no runny nose, no sore throat, no aches and pains as such, just a feeling that fluey aches and pains might be right around the corner.

Is this what taper madness feels like?

Advertisement
23-10-2010, 20:14   #857
littlebug

Can anyone tell me what size are the kit bags and how secure they are?
23-10-2010, 20:19   #858
xebec

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebug View Post
Can anyone tell me what size are the kit bags and how secure they are?
You could easily fit a backpack size bag into one of the plastic ones we're supposed to use and prob a bit more too. Reasonably secure but usual thing of don't leave anything majorly valuable or that would cause a big problem if it was lost...
Thanks from:
23-10-2010, 20:37   #859
rainbow kirby

Wrap up warm for the startline!
23-10-2010, 21:01   #860
Peckham

Quote:
Originally Posted by trats View Post
Best of luck to all for Monday

I'm sure the pacers will be as good as this guy (even though he only ran the 2nd half)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uACa...eature=related
Some good material there for Monday. Will be continuously roaring at the 3:30 crew the whole way from Shelbourne Road to the finish line.
Advertisement
23-10-2010, 21:18   #861
Peckham

Have posted this about three times previously, but anyone looking for inspiration for Monday, could do a lot worse than this video. Hairs on the back of the neck stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-50d...EFDE50&index=0

Also, anyone joining the 3:30 pacers on the startline should brush up on the words of this song - I'll be leading everyone in song 5 mins before the gun.
23-10-2010, 21:26   #862
donothoponpop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peckham View Post

Also, anyone joining the 3:30 pacers on the startline should brush up on the words of this song - I'll be leading everyone in song 5 mins before the gun.
Go for it! Please god let someone video the scene.
23-10-2010, 22:10   #863
maria74

Best of luck to you all on Monday...may try to get in to cheer you on!!
23-10-2010, 22:15   #864
dowlinj

Quote:
Have posted this about three times previously, but anyone looking for inspiration for Monday, could do a lot worse than this video. Hairs on the back of the neck stuff

Get some Team Hoyt into ya, amazing stuff - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxqe77-Am3w

http://www.teamhoyt.com/
Advertisement
23-10-2010, 22:17   #865
Git101

Off to bed now.
Best of luck to everyone. Enjoy the day.
23-10-2010, 22:21   #866
Clearlier

Quote:

That's it decided then I'm definitely going off with the 3:15 group

Good luck to everybody on Monday and a special thanks to everybody who commented on my plan to run by heart rate. If the temperatures are as low as predicted I'll adjust to a slightly lower target HR.
23-10-2010, 22:36   #867
Corkie100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Belly View Post

All day today I feel as if I'm about to come down with a dose of something. Temperature is fine, no runny nose, no sore throat, no aches and pains as such, just a feeling that fluey aches and pains might be right around the corner.

No aches? No Pains? Ah you're getting away very lightly... Yes, it is absolute taper madness, no question. I now have mine timed, have been suffering since last week, couple of short runs did nothing to ease pains or nerves, started to lift a bit yesterday, bit more spring in the step today, did a two mile run and was rearing to go, and will hopefully wake up tomorrow with the 'BRING IT ON' attitude. THis has been the pattern for the other 2 marathons i have done anyway, so I can only assume the same is true this time. But words cannot describe how awful I have felt during this taper. If you root back through this thread I left what can only be described as a manic, irrational message with a very similar theme to your own. Relax. Roll on Monday!!!
23-10-2010, 22:39   #868
jackyback

Quote:
Some good material there for Monday. Will be continuously roaring at the 3:30 crew the whole way from Shelbourne Road to the finish line.
Not too loud now Peckham otherwise i will have to run on for a sub 3.25 attempt
23-10-2010, 23:03   #869
potsy11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Belly View Post

I am dying today. Head cold. Head ache and generally feel like ****. Got 2 mikes done this morning no problem and then was struck down. 5th Mary and never been this bad.

Please be gone in the morning!!!
23-10-2010, 23:15   #870
TFBubendorfer

Quote:

Oh God, please, NOOOOO!
Others have the choice of running at a different pace but if I have to live through 3 and a half hours of this, I won't be responsible for my actions!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion