Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Three children found dead mod note in post 1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

pjohnson wrote: »
    A nurse that may (per Gynoids link above) have given children a lethal overdose?

Why wouldn't parents want their kids re-checked if they had dealings with that nurse?

You'd imagine she was on sick leave from crumlin children's hospital if she had recent mental issues as spoken of by her neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

A nurse that may (per Gynoids link above) have given children a lethal overdose?

Why wouldn't parents want their kids re-checked if they had dealings with that nurse?

Rechecked for what pj?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

splinter65 wrote: »
    Is there no such thing as bad mental health pj? It’s all a load of nonsense isn’t it? People should just pull themselves together and stop looking for notice?

This is irrelevant. Yes there is bad mental health. However the vast majority of mental health sufferers avoid committing multiple murders (which is still unconfirmed in this case anyway).

The need some have for tying murders to mental health only increases the stigma on people with actual mental health issues as they may then start thinking they are now a danger to loved ones based of the actions of a murderer (like Hawe).

For people like pjohnson there’s no such thing as mental health issues. Depression stress anxiety etc it’s all a load of nonsense. It’s just people looking for attention.

Lol you dolt. No its just murder does not equal mental health issues.

The complusion to marry the two is ridiculously harmful to people with mental health issues.

Dont try putting words in my mouth when you are hilariously wrong.

This is irrelevant. Yes there is bad mental health. However the vast majority of mental health sufferers avoid committing multiple murders (which is still unconfirmed in this case anyway).

The need some have for tying murders to mental health only increases the stigma on people with actual mental health issues as they may then start thinking they are now a danger to loved ones based of the actions of a murderer (like Hawe).

Lol you dolt. No its just murder does not equal mental health issues.

The complusion to marry the two is ridiculously harmful to people with mental health issues.

So you say that the vast majority of people suffering from bad mental health don’t commit murder, (true) but you don’t accept that a tiny amount of mental health sufferers do end up taking drastic measures? What do you base that theory on? It’s being widely reported that this woman was sufffering mental health issues. Are you saying that her condition and the death of her children is just a coincidence?

Are you saying that her condition and the death of her children is just a coincidence?

are you saying that nobody in this thread is going be permitted to do anything but say "the poor dear" about her because "mental health"?

if her mental health was that bad then the children should have been elsewhere. if she isnt legally or morally culpable for the deaths, then, what, "shrug"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Ah jaysus, talk about clutching at straws for things to fkn type about.

are you saying that nobody in this thread is going be permitted to do anything but say "the poor dear" about her because "mental health"?

if her mental health was that bad then the children should have been elsewhere. if she isnt legally or morally culpable for the deaths, then, what, "shrug"?

Who was responsible for seeing that a mentally ill woman was not left in charge of children?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

We d have to have a functioning mental health system for actions such as this

• Registered Users Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

So you say that the vast majority of people suffering from bad mental health don’t commit murder, (true) but you don’t accept that a tiny amount of mental health sufferers do end up taking drastic measures? What do you base that theory on? It’s being widely reported that this woman was sufffering mental health issues. Are you saying that her condition and the death of her children is just a coincidence?

Is there any legitamate source confirming any mental health issues?

People spent weeks/months excusing Hawe over his "mental health problems" or Chada who killed his two sons.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/not-everyone-struggling-with-mental-health-is-going-to-kill-their-children-37859671.html

Its an awful link to be trying to establish that murder and mental health are the same, and it always happens at this time. With the truth coming later again like the Hawe case.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

This is an absolutely awful would story. I saw the papers yesterday when I was in a shop getting my 10 year old son a little treat after his coder dojo class. I had just come from a room full of young kids this age, all of them so unique and creative and full of life.

I cant imagine the pain that father must be in today

I really do not think this is the place for the usual boards.ie bickering about men being treated worse than women. If this is all you can think of saying then you have issues of your own to be dealing with

• Advertisement

Absolutely, as this will completely solve these type of issues and prevent them from happening again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Akrasia wrote: »
    This is an absolutely awful would story. I saw the papers yesterday when I was in a shop getting my 10 year old son a little treat after his coder dojo class. I had just come from a room full of young kids this age, all of them so unique and creative and full of life.

I cant imagine the pain that father must be in today or what must have gone wrong to cause the mother to do this.

I really do not think this is the place for the usual boards.ie bickering about men being treated worse than women. If this is all you can think of saying then you have issues of your own to be dealing with

In all these types of of horrible inexplicable crimes, whether mass shooting or family deaths like this we think mental health as a possible cause because the crimes are just so hard to fathom or rationalise.
    I trust the courts system and health professionals to reach a fair and reasoned conclusion, that is all we can do.
    On some sub conscious level, for me anyway, I find it harder to believe a mother would be capable of such an act without suffering severe mental health.
    I know that is unfair and that bias should not enter the heads of the investigators I'm just giving my own honest response.
    God help the family and that poor father.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I've said it before, the old style institution's were not all bad, my uncle in Canada is married to a lady who's mother spent most of her life inside, my aunt in law and all her siblings were reared with relatives as their mother was simply too unstable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

Akrasia wrote: »

I cant imagine the pain that father must be in today or what must have gone wrong to cause the mother to do this.

In fairness, certain ideologoues really made hay while the sun shone in the aftermath of the Hawe case. It’s very convenient to stamp out any discussion about this case.

There should be an honest conversation around this sort of thing and not a kneejerk reaction of mental health / controlling explanations that are rolled out like religious dogma evey time something like this happens.

Mental health is a blanket statement that says nothing. Pretty much everyone has a mental health issue of one sort or another.

The same with suicide - which I feel is closely related to this kind of incident - there's never any real conversation other than something to do with selfishness or being unable to express emotions or some other such nonsense - which does nothing to help people identify cases like this and stop them happening in the future.

I know one person when taking about at a particualrly low point in her life after a terrible thing happened to her - an "Act of God", not something someone did to her.

She said she was seriously thinking of killing herself and her 5 year old daughter because it wasn't fair to her daughter to go through any more mental pain. I won't go into details but she had the whole thing planned out. Thankfully she didn't go through with it and now her life is really good, but "mental health issues" would not be an adequate explanation in her case. I feel this kind of thinking could explain many of the incidents like this.

She said she was seriously thinking of killing herself and her 5 year old daughter because it wasn't fair to her daughter to go through any more mental pain. I won't go into details but she had the whole thing planned out. Thankfully she didn't go through with it and now her life is really good, but "mental health issues" would not be an adequate explanation in her case. I feel this kind of thinking could explain many of the incidents like this.

So she was behaving perfectly rationale during this period?

MoonUnit75 wrote: »
    In fairness, certain ideologoues really made hay while the sun shone in the aftermath of the Hawe case. It’s very convenient to stamp out any discussion about this case.

Assuming it's true, Hawe appears to have been a control freak bully of epic proportions, he probably had a psychotic mental illness too

Even the worst drug lord criminals don't commit acts like that against their own family

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Mental health issues and mental illness are two separate things. The former become the latter if left untreated.

Developing a mental illness is a whole different level.

Who was responsible for seeing that a mentally ill woman was not left in charge of children?

Doctors, unfortunately it's extremely difficult to section someone involuntarily in 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭jackboy

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Doctors, unfortunately it's extremely difficult to section someone involuntarily in 2020

Thank god.

• Advertisement

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Mental health issues and mental illness are two separate things. The former become the latter if left untreated.

Developing a mental illness is a whole different level.

Depression can evolve into psychotic behaviour, can it not?

I know full well the vast majority of people who suffer with depression do not cause harm to anyone but depression can become dangerous?

jackboy wrote: »
    Thank god.

No, it's a fcuking disaster

I don’t think so. Doctors shouldn’t have power to lock people up. Even if they had none of the child killers in recent years would have been locked up.

id suggest a step or series of steps between involuntary committal and children being left as nothing more than functions of the treatment of a mentally-ill adult is possible, and necessary.

every year- cases like this, every year- "mental health" *shrug*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Wmahcm - do not post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Thank you maxx. You are spot on.

They closed the big hospitals to save money. I only know the scene in the Uk but I imagine it is the same here?

They were invaluable safe places for people either at crisis times or just inadequate for life's demands. A place of safety, a haven and a respite for families.

The buzz term was " care in the community" ; only the community was not and is not equipped to "care" . It tied the hands of eg GPs.

And I agree totally that this lady was/is seriously mentally ill. The fact of the sheer horror of it must not detract from that awareness.
    I know families with members whose mental health is a wreck and who cannot get help.
    it is sitting on a time bomb for them.

She was obviously very unwell, mental illness can cause psychotic behaviour, the mind is more fragile and dangerous than we think

I've said it before, the old style institution's were not all bad, my uncle in Canada is married to a lady who's mother spent most of her life inside, my aunt in law and all her siblings were reared with relatives as their mother was simply too unstable

jackboy wrote: »
    Thank god.

In this case? There is a line between too easy sectioning and not being able to make a family safe.

It may be that no help had been sought for this lady/this family because there is so little help to be had?

Agree. The fact that help is not easily available means that illness becomes more extreme . Drs hands are tied as there are so few mental health facilities to be accessed

Graces7 wrote: »
    In this case? There is a line between too easy sectioning and not being able to make a family safe.

It may be that no help had been sought for this lady/this family because there is so little help to be had?

Maybe. We know next to nothing about the woman in this case. Looking at recent child killings though the killers were sometimes high functioning pillars of the community. Mental health services probably would not have prevented those cases.

• Advertisement

I know one person when taking about at a particualrly low point in her life after a terrible thing happened to her - an "Act of God", not something someone did to her.

you don't think this lady had mental health issues??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement