Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Three children found dead mod note in post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The photo of the kids with their dad is really beautiful. The poor little ones in it look so innocent.

I hope the gardai do their job with the diligence & respect that it deserves as it's not a easy one. May god bless them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

The photo of the kids with their dad is really beautiful. The poor little ones in it look so innocent.

I hope the gardai do their job with the diligence & respect that it deserves as it's not a easy one. May god bless them all.

The guards will do what they always do , the job to the best of their abilities. Which I feel will be the least we can expect. It's likely the mother was the cause of the deaths and she will most likely be dealt with a sojourn in the C MH. We can whinge, cry and rage but 3 children are dead because of the selfish actions of one person, who will never really feel proper justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Annd9

GoneHome wrote: »
    Jesus I don't think things are that bad to be honest, I live in a lovely rural area 45 minutes from Limerick city, lovely community around here, 2 miles from a lovely little village where all the community are looking out for each other, great GAA club, 3 pubs in the general area, etc. I think alot of it boils down to big urban areas where people don't even know their next door neighbour and thus no sense of community, no personal relationships/friendships being formed, we need to go back to basics

Newcastle is far from a big urban area likewise Ballyjamesduff, Mayo or Wexford where the same situation has happened in recent years .
    Rip

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Be right back

In the photo, Mr McGinley looks so happy. Devastating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

The youngest victim is in the same creche as our two, next room up from our oldest so it hits closer to home than most tragedies that get reported. I've been thinking about those poor little kids since the news broke, and the dad since I saw the family photo yesterday. Genuinely cannot get my head around how he must be feeling, the thought of losing my kids, never mind in such a senseless and unnecessary manner absolutely horrifies me. All we can hope is that they didnt suffer in any way and that they just "fell asleep". Heartbreaking end to three lives only beginning. Sincere condolences to all that knew them and to their families. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Difference being he was male. I'd reckon the media wont be as quick to pain this one in the same light.

No, the difference is that almost the first thing we've heard about her, on this very thread, is that she had mental health issues. Alan Hawe did not. I'm not saying she was not responsible for her acts - we don't know yet. Not all mental health issues make someone incapable of controlling their actions. But some do, so it's possible that she was not in charge of herself. Alan Hawe was found to be fully in control.

If she's treated more sympathetically by the media (though Hawe has been called a great dad and a family man, so I wouldn't agree that he got no sympathy, just thet he didn't deserve any) it will be because she was found not responsible for her actions, not because she's a woman.

RIP to those poor children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

I dont see any mention of the mother having mental health issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

'Mental health' has become an excuse for horrific deeds, people should still be responsible for their actions.

I'm not speculating on the case just making an observation, also rip those poor kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

NIMAN wrote: »
    The contents of the note scarily similar to what that Hawe fella left.
    Where are you seeing the contents of the note? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Lazare wrote: »
    The woman is a friend of a friend, I personally don't know her. She apparently had been suffering mental health problems lately. That's as much as I know really.

Don't really want to speculate any further.
    I dont see any mention of the mother having mental health issues?

On the thread.

I don't know if her problems were of a nature to mean she would have been responsible for her actions or not, and if she was responsible she should be - and I think will be - condemned as strongly as anyone else.

But if random people in the neighbourhood have already heard that she has mental health issues, then she probably wasn't anything like Hawe, who was able to construct a facade of the great dad etc for outsiders.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Volchitsa - do not post on this thread again

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Where are you seeing the contents of the note? :confused:

I read in 1 of the articles that it said (paraphrasing) do not enter call 999. Will see if I can find it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭dubrov

volchitsa wrote: »
    On the thread.

I don't know if her problems were of a nature to mean she would have been responsible for her actions or not, and if she was responsible she should be - and I think will be - condemned as strongly as anyone else.

But if random people in the neighbourhood have already heard that she has mental health issues, then she probably wasn't anything like Hawe, who was able to construct a facade of the great dad etc for outsiders.

Mental Health isn't a binary thing.
    It is not normal to kill your children so Alan Hawe clearly had some mental issues.
    I don't know how you or anyone else could diagnose him given he died shortly after the incident.

From the Irish Times

'The emergency services were alerted by a taxi driver who found the woman on the street and took her home.

When the driver arrived at the house he saw a note with instructions not to go upstairs but to call to call 999 instead.'

dubrov wrote: »
    It is not normal to kill your children so Alan Hawe clearly had some mental issues.

It may not be normal, but it doesn't mean the parent has mental health issues.
    Sometimes parents do bad things. Sometimes they have mental health issues.
    It's important to treat the offender accordingly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Mother is a nurse who was on stress related sick leave. Article in the Irish edition of the Sunday Times.

It says no speculation yet some are speculating that the woman in this case had mental health issues. In reality no one knows.

The media and any speculation always follows a predictable path - if a woman is involved she had mental health issues, if a man, he was in full control of his faculties and was domineering and controlling. No need to even bother reading the coverage.

RIP to those innocent children.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Mother is a nurse who was on stress related sick leave. Article in the Irish edition of the Sunday Times.

The McGinley family were relatively recent arrivals at Parsons Court. They are believed to have moved there last year. Deirdre Morley, the children's mother, is a nurse who worked at Crumlin Children's Hospital in Dublin.

Taken from the Irish Independent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

It says no speculation yet some are speculating that the woman in this case had mental health issues. In reality no one knows.

The media and any speculation always follows a predictable path - if a woman is involved she had mental health issues, if a man, he was in full control of his faculties and was domineering and controlling. No need to even bother reading the coverage.

RIP to those innocent children.

It's in a lot of media articles today re the mental health.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    It's in a lot of media articles today re the mental health.

That's because it's a woman. No other reason. If it was a man there would be no mention of mental health issues.There are very little details as yet but mental health issues are being pushed to the fore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

What a terrible tragedy. Feel for the father but have sympathy for the mother as well.

That's because it's a woman. No other reason. If it was a man there would be no mention of mental health issues.There are very little details as yet but mental health issues are being pushed to the fore.

Don't get me wrong, that poor woman very likely did have mental health issues, how could you do something like that and not have mental health issues,

The Hawe case was all about mental health in the first few days too. We don't know yet in this case as it is a developing story.

Anyone know if the Gardai spoke to the mother yet? They were hoping to do it yesterday but were waiting for medical all clear

You’ve made that point now several times. Do you intend to keep on responding to every post with the same message? Please let me know so I can put you on ignore.
    A paediatric nurse working at a very busy hospital on sick leave for stress who has moved house recently.
    But let’s make this all about how you feel the unfairness of how it’s being reported.
    What can we all do to make you feel better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

According to one Garda source, one line of inquiry is that the children may have been sedated, possibly by injection, and died of a lethal overdose or by suffocation.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/a-familys-final-hours-38895719.html

splinter65 wrote: »
    You’ve made that point now several times. Do you intend to keep on responding to every post with the same message? Please let me know so I can put you on ignore.
    A paediatric nurse working at a very busy hospital on sick leave for stress who has moved house recently.
    But let’s make this all about how you feel the unfairness of how it’s being reported.
    What can we all do to make you feel better?

Fair point

Mod note - let's leave the man v woman agenda at the door for at least a few days until more facts are known. Post 1 updated

• Registered Users Posts: 23,145 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

"Mental Health" should be no part of this.

pjohnson wrote: »
    She worked at a childrens hospital? Thats gunna worry a lot of parents.

Why would it worry parents?

Is there no such thing as bad mental health pj? It’s all a load of nonsense isn’t it? People should just pull themselves together and stop looking for notice?

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

What?! Why?!

• Advertisement

What?! Why?!

For people like pjohnson there’s no such thing as mental health issues. Depression stress anxiety etc it’s all a load of nonsense. It’s just people looking for attention.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement