Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards PW Draft 2020 - Discussion (and Sign Up) Thread

• 16-01-2020 9:16pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭

After some discussion on the matter... it's back....

THE PW BOARDS 2020 DRAFT!!!

WWE_World_Heavyweight_Championship.png

Similar to other years, we’ll have 20 people (hopefully) competing in this years draft. The winners and draft admins of previous years will gain automatic entry to the draft, though it’s worth pointing out not all of them are even posting on boards any more.

Of course we won't stop accepting names at 20 sign-ups, there is always a requirement for a reserve list in case one or more of the 20 has to drop out for a plethora of reasons.
    I'll be sending a few PMs around to invite previous players to come back and participate again, and also hopefully trying to get a few new players on board.

Our list of automatic sign-ups is now at 5, should they wish to opt out they can let me know.

Sign-Ups:

1. Mr. Nice Guy
    2. Lord TSC
    3. Bounty Hunter
    4. beakerjoe
    5. Necro
    6. brianregan09
    7. ShagNastii
    8. Hello 2D Person Below
    9. PTH2009
    10. daithi1989
    11. Furious Red
    12. thebostoncrab
    13. JP Liz V1

A brief rundown on the rules:

Rules:

Draft Order
    The order people make their picks is decided at random, via a completely unbiased List Randomizer website (random.org). There will be a number of rounds in which the drawing order will not be random. These will be made clear at the start of these rounds.

Tag Teams:

Tag Teams come as a package so for example if you want the Authors of Pain then you don't have to pick Rezar one round and then Akam the next. The rules for tag teams are as follows:

- Cannot have a world champion in them ie no DX or Hart Foundation
    - Must have tagged together for at least 3 months in WWE, TNA, ROH, NJPW or anything historically going under the NWA banner.
    - Intergender tag teams not allowed
    - Members of factions, ie Wade Barrett and Rusev, are not deemed valid picks as they are not classed as legit tag teams under the criteria for the game.
    - 5 tag teams is the maximum amount of teams for each roster.

World Titles:

World titles are considered as the following:
    WWE, World Heavyweight Title/WCW, TNA, NWA and IWGP world championship

(Note: For the benefit of the game as a whole and to reflect the realistic loss in prestige of the NWA Title, only holders of the NWA Title up until the WCW World Championship came into use will be regarded as World Champions for the purposes of the game. )

Eligible Promotions:
    Any - it has all changed since last year. If you want to draft Bandylegs McGillicuddy from Ireland - as long as you can categorically prove he has had a pro wrestling match - he is yours!
    The only exception to this rule is in relation to tag teams - please see above.

Time Frame:
    None. The old pre 1970’s rule remains abolished.
    There will also be a celeb round where celebs who have appeared on wrestling TV are eligible for picks.

- people who would be considered Celebs more so than wrestlers are only eligible to be drafted in the special celeb round and not in any other round

- Managers, commentators and female wrestlers are eligible if people wish to pick them. Once they are drafted - they’re yours!

Trades:
    Trades are allowed from Round 5 onwards but you are limited to 5 trades each. When a trade occurs it is superstars you are trading, not a pick in the draft, so you must be able to make the draft pick before they are eligible to be drafted, i.e all normal rules such as 5 tag team picks limit are still in effect.

Trades may be vetoed by those running the game in order to ensure a fair balance is maintained. However, this is extremely unlikely to occur for the vast majority of trades, and will only be discussed in situations where there is suspicion of other matters influencing the game.

Stip rounds:

There are a number of stipulation rounds lined up. Make sure to read each carefully, and if you're unsure what you're meant to do, ask in the discussion thread and verify your pick with an organiser.

Missed Picks

The draft runs under a 24 Hour rule. In other words, you have 24 hours to make your pick from the moment the person prior to you has made theirs. This will be enforced so as not to slow down the game. If you think you are going to miss your window, PM someone a list of who you'd like and they can make your pick for you. Should you miss your window, your pick will be pushed back to the end of that round.

Write Up Rules

Once the picks are made and rosters are assembled, the write ups commence. In the past, it has usually been a rule of 4/5 shows (weekly shows with a PPV at the end) is the maximum amount of shows a player could post. However, to reflect the dwindling efforts of the players to commit to a huge body of work/time in reading others work, it was changed to a maximum of 4 posts.

Now comes another change, and let's see how it goes.

Players are limited to a maximum of 2 posts.

One is for your company statement, to outline your roster - the major players, feuds etc. This is not mandatory,

The second post is your match card. Your ultimate fantasy match ups as drafted by you.

Due to posting limitations re: images, if you wish to extend your PPV across your two posts this is permitted.

Note - Rules may be amended during the contest to help run the game smoother if it's felt this is necessary but we will aim to ensure everyone is kept up to date if this has to happen.

I am hoping to kick this off potentially next week sometime depending on sign up rate.

So hop on board folks,

200.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I'm in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Go on then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Ah sure you have won me over Necro..... ya bollocks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

3ADafn.gif

In.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,755 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I'll try it for the laugh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭daithi1989

I’ll give it a go again this year!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

That has us up to a tentative 10 so far, welcome aboard folks.
    I'll keep sign ups open till Sunday or Monday anyways and we shall see how we are faring numbers wise then.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Ah sure stick my name down :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I know I'm automatically but still....

rick-and-morty.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

With the 2 post rule you can consider me in

• Advertisement

Are belts part of the draft, or is there a particular round for them?

What's the story?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Are belts part of the draft, or is there a particular round for them?

Belts can be used by anyone, or you can make up your own if preferred

• Registered Users Posts: 84,946 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭LibSuperstar

I was tempted to sign up but remembered that I would have to book shows.

I was tempted to sign up but remembered that I would have to book shows.

No, all that's required is a PPV card based on your roster this year.

I'll leave this open till Monday night and then we'll get cracking from Tuesday or Wednesday folks. Still 7 places left if anyone else wants to throw their hat in the ring :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I wasn't sure I'd enter this year as I've stopped following modern wrestling due to being turned off by it. If not for listening to the Jim Cornette podcast I wouldn't know anything that was going on. As well as that, like a lot of others, my enthusiasm for the investment required for the write-ups wasn't there.

I do like this more accessible take on it though, and hopefully it leads to a revival of interest. Consider the 5 time champ back to defend his crowd.

GroundedDismalAlaskankleekai-size_restricted.gif

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭NITRO95

Feck it I'll throw my name in

Welcome aboard NITRO!

Updated Sign-Ups:

1. Mr. Nice Guy
    2. Lord TSC
    3. Bounty Hunter
    4. beakerjoe
    5. Necro
    6. brianregan09
    7. ShagNastii
    8. Hello 2D Person Below
    9. PTH2009
    10. daithi1989
    11. Furious Red
    12. thebostoncrab
    13. JP Liz V1
    14. NITRO95
    15. A Brad Maddox Guy
    16. Hammer of the Clods

Bump

• Advertisement

Will be closing off sign ups tonight with a view to starting the picks tomorrow or Wednesday.

Last chance to sign up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Any lurkers or newbies put your hand up.

The draft really is great fun.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Necro wrote: »
    Will be closing off sign ups tonight with a view to starting the picks tomorrow or Wednesday.

Last chance to sign up!!
    tumblr_mm53ot8AD71qf2r8zo1_1280.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

I had no intention of doing the draft this year cos I've not watched wrestling since WrestleMania but I wasn't sure I could resist with the revised structure....

tenor.gif?itemid=3569927

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Hammer of the Clods

Can I drop my name in for this?

Welcome aboard Hammer of the Clods!

Ok folks sign ups are closing at 4pm today, 16 players is actually 1 up from last year which is a good thing:)

We also have some old faces returning and some new blood, so hopefully you all enjoy the upcoming few weeks.

I'm aiming to have the first round up sometime this evening when I get home from work and we can start then.

Picks Thread is now live.

Round 1 Order will be released at about 7pm.

Will I set up a seperate discussion thread or are ye happy to leave it here?

Round 1 order is up

200.gif

Please keep discussion of undrafted wrestlers to an absolute minimum - if you mention him and Bob takes him as his next pick that's on you, not me :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Necro wrote: »
    Picks Thread is now live.

Round 1 Order will be released at about 7pm.

Will I set up a seperate discussion thread or are ye happy to leave it here?

Id say just use this one and may change the title of it?

Advertisement