Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The glorious 12th

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

downcow wrote: »
    Do you realise that the hunger strikers were members of the most efficient sectarian killing machine in Europe. There organisation tortured and killed endless unarmed civilians.

Yes.
    Now how does commemorations of the Hunger Strike compare to the Apprentice boys wearing the Paras insignia to goad people regarding the killing of innocent civilians in a peace march?

• Registered Users Posts: 66,820 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Yes.
    Now how does commemorations of the Hunger Strike compare to the Apprentice boys wearing the Paras insignia to goad people regarding the killing of innocent civilians in a peace march?

There simply is no comparison and allowing somebody who just here to covertly (he thinks) defend the indefensible should not be tolerated.

Trawling the awful history of the conflict/war to find a tragic 5 month old victim to exploit is unforgivable too. But then what do you expect of someone who sees nothing wrong with parading support for Soldier F into Derry.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,045 ✭✭✭✭downcow

So you did not write this?

Oh I absolutely wrote that. But you said that I had stated I would never type his name.
    I had typed his name and people were pissed of with my misspelling so I referred to him as M McG and still people were annoyed so I said I would refer to him as the fisherman if that helped.
    I NEVER SAID I WOULD NOT TYPE HIS NAME

There simply is no comparison and allowing somebody who just here to covertly (he thinks) defend the indefensible should not be tolerated.

Trawling the awful history of the conflict/war to find a tragic 5 month old victim to exploit is unforgivable too. But then what do you expect of someone who sees nothing wrong with parading support for Soldier F into Derry.

I was reminded of the killing on the ‘biggest show in the country’ , no friend of unionism.

But can wee just disagree on this You think the showing of support to soldier f and the paras is much worse. I think the showing of support to the ira is much worse. I think you are wrong but I don’t feel the need to convince you So I’m ok with that

• Registered Users Posts: 21,962 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Oh I absolutely wrote that. But you said that I had stated I would never type his name.
    I had typed his name and people were pissed of with my misspelling so I referred to him as M McG and still people were annoyed so I said I would refer to him as the fisherman if that helped.
    I NEVER SAID I WOULD NOT TYPE HIS NAME

To me that is basically saying you would never go out of your way to do a 10 second search on how to spell a name of a man you do not like.

• Advertisement

To me that is basically saying you would never go out of your way to do a 10 second search on how to spell a name of a man you do not like.

Let me be clear. I did do a search for correct spelling but each time I came to posting his name again I couldn’t remember spelling. I thought a decent respectful resolution was to use M McG. But clearly not.
    You still told lies and I would appreciate you sorting it out.

Let me be clear. I did do a search for correct spelling but each time I came to posting his name again I couldn’t remember spelling. I thought a decent respectful resolution was to use M McG. But clearly not.
    You still told lies and I would appreciate you sorting it out.

What lies did i say i picked it up a different way, i picked it up as you would never type his name, just like you are picking me up as being sad and a conspiracy victim more or less.

I was reminded of the killing on the ‘biggest show in the country’ , no friend of unionism.

What?
    But can wee just disagree on this You think the showing of support to soldier f and the paras is much worse. I think the showing of support to the ira is much worse. I think you are wrong but I don’t feel the need to convince you So I’m ok with that

The conflict is over downcow. They are remembering their dead and you guys are provoking and triumphalising in a city that faces a murder trial in a few weeks. Facing the end to a 40 year pursuit for some semblance of justice.
    Your despicable inability to criticise them for that is fairly typical of you.

No, hold your horses. We were speaking on the apprentice boys wearing the para insignia and marching into Derry to goad people regarding the deaths of peace marchers at the hands of the paras. That's a stand alone thing to either support or condemn.
    You likened it to the Hunger Strike commemorations as a form of whataboutery.
    Then you went to the actions of the people who took part in the Hunger strikes.
    Now you are saying the IRA are worse than the paras or some guff. Can you even see the goalposts at this stage?

What?

The conflict is over downcow. They are remembering their dead and you guys are provoking and triumphalising in a city that faces a murder trial in a few weeks. Facing the end to a 40 year pursuit for some semblance of justice.
    Your despicable inability to criticise them for that is fairly typical of you.

Just look at the contradictions inequality and sectarianism in your post. Surely I don’t need to explain for you

• Advertisement

Just look at the contradictions inequality and sectarianism in your post. Surely I don’t need to explain for you

Are you saying that people should not be allowed to remember their dead downcow? Do you realise what that means for your own community?

No, hold your horses. We were speaking on the apprentice boys wearing the para insignia and marching into Derry to goad people regarding the deaths of peace marchers at the hands of the paras. That's a stand alone thing to either support or condemn.
    You likened it to the Hunger Strike commemorations as a form of whataboutery.
    Then you went to the actions of the people who took part in the Hunger strikes.
    Now you are saying the IRA are worse than the paras or some guff. Can you even see the goalposts at this stage?

Very clear to me. Many are understandably upset that a band had para emblem on their arm. Many are very upset that an MEP chanted our day will come, in Irish, at the scene of a ira murder.

I can see the upset in both communities yet your bigotry only lets you see the hurt in your own community. That’s what’s sad and prevents progress.

Very clear to me. Many are understandably upset that a band had para emblem on their arm.

Except you. You tried to defend/excuse it.

Very clear to me. Many are understandably upset that a band had para emblem on their arm. Many are very upset that an MEP chanted our day will come, in Irish, at the scene of a ira murder.

I can see the upset in both communities yet your bigotry only lets you see the hurt in your own community. That’s what’s sad and prevents progress.

You are engaging in whataboutery.
    The peaceful marchers killed by the paras weren't in the IRA.
    People making it all about the 'RA when it's nothing to do with them any time they want to defend the indefensible, in this case the apprentice boys, that's what's sad and pathetic.

Are you saying that people should not be allowed to remember their dead downcow? Do you realise what that means for your own community?

Actually I do believe everyone should be able to.
    I also believe that if one ra man was being singled out for eg la mon yet the commanders were getting off and other incidents were not getting the same attention. I would support nationalists saying this is unfair. If people wore badges supporting him in the vicinity of la mon I would say it was insensitive but was legal and should be allowed. If the police stopped the car on the way home in full riot gear I would say that was over the top.
    Consistent as always !

Except you. You tried to defend/excuse it.

I absolutely believe the PSNI should not be allowed to decide what we can wear or say. And I’ll defend your community in that as well

You are engaging in whataboutery.
    The peaceful marchers killed by the paras weren't in the IRA.

Matt you are now ducking and diving. The peaceful baby in strabane was not in the paras

Actually I do believe everyone should be able to.

Except the commemoration in Strabane for which you had to trawl the history of the conflict to find a victim to exploit in order to engage in a 'themuns' are as bad campaign. A campaign designed to vindicate what the band did in Derry.

Except the commemoration in Strabane for which you had to trawl the history of the conflict to find a victim to exploit in order to engage in a 'themuns' are as bad campaign. A campaign designed to vindicate what the band did in Derry.

I actually believe that should be allowed in strabane. It is insensitive and offensive and I don’t like it but should be allowed
    Consistency as always!

I actually believe that should be allowed in strabane. It is insensitive and offensive and I don’t like it but should be allowed
    Consistency as always!

The sound of furious backpedaling fills the air.

• Advertisement

Matt you are now ducking and diving. The peaceful baby in strabane was not in the paras

Again you are trying to move the goal posts.
    What's that got to do with the apprentice boys goading on the deaths of peaceful marchers on neither side? You're trying to make it okay because another group did other things to other people. You need to walk the walk instead of point scoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

You should remember that when your pontificating about people wearing poppies to remember their dead.

RobMc59 wrote: »
    You should remember that when your pontificating about people wearing poppies to remember their dead.

I have problems with people using symbols specifically to taunt and provoke Rob...that goes for anyone.

If SF can't have their hungry strike commemorations then Orange Order and Apprentice Boys of Derry along with all those bands should not be allowed to parade

Again you are trying to move the goal posts.
    What's that got to do with the apprentice boys goading on the deaths of peaceful marchers on neither side? You're trying to make it okay because another group did other things to other people. You need to walk the walk instead of point scoring.

I am very clear. It was insensitive but should be allowed. I don’t want any police force having the power to decide what you me or martina can wear

If SF can't have their hungry strike commemorations then Orange Order and Apprentice Boys of Derry along with all those bands should not be allowed to parade

Agreed. We are in agreement!

I am very clear. It was insensitive but should be allowed. I don’t want any police force having the power to decide what you me or martina can wear

You no longer control the police force so now you want to take control away from them. Very good. Consistent. :rolleyes:

If SF can't have their hungry strike commemorations e

I love your humour but if I had typed that you would have been down me like a ton of lead. Michele and Mary Lou must have missed the hungry strikes!

I love your humour but if I had typed that you would have been down me like a ton of lead. Michele and Mary Lou must have missed the hungry strikes!

And the mask slips

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Not at all surprised at the Para F wearers.

I would expect no higher standard of behaviour from them.

Advertisement