Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

“I am only travelling one stop”

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭RonanM123

dowlingm wrote: »
    Via RUI boards, Translink have posted their "top excuses for fare evasion"

This two has to be the best:
    "My brother is a solicitor and you will be in big trouble."
    "There was no toilet paper in your toilet, so I had to use the ticket, that’s not my fault."

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

"Got on at Broombridge"

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Between January and December last year 22 rail passengers were identified for ticketing irregularities which resulted in fines of £2,508 being collected. In addition, seventy penalty fares for fare evasion, that were issued by our rail staff resulted in fines of £1,579.40

Very small numbers, a result of good enforcement and acceptance by the public or lack of checks in general?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

The question is are the numbers so low
    - Because people are a honest bunch and won't cheat the system to avoid paying.
    OR
    - Because there is a lot more evasion, just it hasn't been caught because of lack of checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Third reason is that every train has a conductor due to NIR being operated on the same principles as GB trains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

"The average fine issued to fare evaders in 2012 was £20 plus the value of the ticket for the distance they travelled. "

Compare and contrast to IE!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Between January and December last year 22 rail passengers were identified for ticketing irregularities which resulted in fines of £2,508 being collected. In addition, seventy penalty fares for fare evasion, that were issued by our rail staff resulted in fines of £1,579.40
    Only 22 - that means most of them came on here complaining about it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

"Got on at Broombridge"

A guy was stopped by the RPU on the Cork suburban network last year and told them just that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

“I thought it was still 2011." (Student with an out-of-date card by 1 year)

Hmm, I might give that a go myself :D

n97 mini wrote: »
    "The average fine issued to fare evaders in 2012 was £20 plus the value of the ticket for the distance they travelled. "

Compare and contrast what?

A low charge plus your due fare or a higher charge plus your due fare.

• Advertisement

A low charge plus your due fare or a higher charge plus your due fare.
    Well done, that's a start. IE's penalty is over 4 times as much as NIR's, to be specific. Why is there such a mismatch?

Well done, that's a start. IE's penalty is over 4 times as much as NIR's, to be specific. Why is there such a mismatch?

Perhaps it isn't covered underthe Good Friday Agreement :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

I'm surprised 'the dog ate my ticket' didn't feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

There is far less likely chance of evading on NIR due to the presence of an on-board conductor.

Thus, the need for a high deterrent is less.

On IE, there is no conductor (due to the different train operating practices), so there is a higher chance of evasion.

Do you think more people would take a chance for a standard fare of €23 than for the €100 fare that is currently there?

Let's be honest I think they would.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The best I seen lately ,was sitting on a bus in tallaght when a foreign looking lad boards the bus wearing DB staff uniform jacket ,the driver who was already talking to (another driver on his was to town for his shift) asks the chap what garage your based in turn said in broken English I'm in the tallaght garage as a driver ,again he's asked your sure your a driver in the tallaght garage ,now the other driver on his way to town then asks what route or type of bus he's drives one of theses (77A) when challenged by the actual driver he admits he's not a staff member at all and then produces a DSP ,which when inspected has a woman's name on it he then decides he doesn't want to travel and asks for his DSP back , a waste of 10 mins at a bus stop

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

Gatling wrote: »
    The best I seen lately ,was sitting on a bus in tallaght when a foreign looking lad boards the bus wearing DB staff uniform jacket ,the driver who was already talking to (another driver on his was to town for his shift) asks the chap what garage your based in turn said in broken English I'm in the tallaght garage as a driver ,again he's asked your sure your a driver in the tallaght garage ,now the other driver on his way to town then asks what route or type of bus he's drives one of theses (77A) when challenged by the actual driver he admits he's not a staff member at all and then produces a DSP ,which when inspected has a woman's name on it he then decides he doesn't want to travel and asks for his DSP back , a waste of 10 mins at a bus stop

Did he get his DSP back?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Hopefully not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

22 rail passengers were identified for ticketing irregularities which resulted in fines of £2,508 being collected.

That's an average £113 - more I suspect than IE

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Tarabuses wrote: »
    Did he get his DSP back?

No he didn't

mitosis wrote: »
    That's an average £113 - more I suspect than IE
    That's for something more serious. Maybe forgery or something.

Simple fare evasion, a €100 penalty on IE, is a bit cheaper:
    seventy penalty fares for fare evasion, that were issued by our rail staff resulted in fines of £1,579.40
    ...or about £22.50 per head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭SteM

Gatling wrote: »

If he had have just flashed the pass like everyone else he would have gotten on with no questions asked.

Advertisement