Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€500 Fine At Clonsilla Train Station ?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

paulm17781 wrote: »
    What about the driver that hits him? Is it still no hassle for him?

No cos he'll probobly be dead by then:D

As for the driver...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Stark wrote: »
    Ah now, you're breaking the golden rule by bringing other people into the equation, when we're not supposed to care about other people.

What was I thinking. To make up for it, I'm going to go and inflict harm on some other people. :rolleyes: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Skyhater

And fining people an extortionate amount for crossing a few rail tracks fit into your "proper balanced democratic laws" does it?

Yep.....
    If the vast majority of us agree that you should only cross the train tracks at designated locations (which i think we do). Then the law should be exist.
    Now we have to agree on a fine... we have two choices:
    1) Security Guards at every station with a €20 fine (Large Change of getting Caught but small fine)
    2) Small number of Security Guards doing spot checks with a €1000 fine (Small chance of getting caught, but large fine)

Both option probably offer the same deterrent, but as both a Rail User and Tax Payer I know which option i would choose.
    (Security guards cost money that we all have to pay for)

paulm17781 wrote: »
    What about the driver that hits him? Is it still no hassle for him?

I think it would be a lot of hassle for the driver. He has to stop the train, get out, find out which way they went, chase down the person, catch them and then hit them. Thats a lot of work!:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭DisandDat

Skyhater wrote: »
    Yep.....

Fcuk me. What have we got here.

How about I follow you about 24 hours a day and fine you for anything I find undemocratic.

• Advertisement

Skyhater wrote: »
    Yep.....
    If the vast majority of us agree that you should only cross the train tracks at designated locations (which i think we do). Then the law should be exist.

Why not roads then, what makes train tracks so much more dangerous than roads, which you can cross pretty much where you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭steve-o

DisandDat wrote: »
    These people are all house trained. Calling out for your own chains.
    Don't come anywhere near my place cos you'll probably cr@p on the carpet.

/Apologies to the OP, but the troll needs constant feeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,876 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Why not roads then, what makes train tracks so much more dangerous than roads, which you can cross pretty much where you want?

You could read the thread and find out.

Stark wrote: »
    You could read the thread and find out.

people killed on tracks a year:10
    people killed on roads a year:300+

I think that makes roads more dangerous...

Cars are limited to speeds of 50km/hr where there's a likelihood of someone walking onto the road and even 30km/hr in some places like O'Connell Street, Temple Bar etc. The stopping distance of a car at those speeds is a small fraction of a train's stopping distance (yes it's mentioned in the thread). You could allow people to walk across train tracks, but the trains would have to crawl everywhere. You don't allow people to walk across motorways do you?

Also from the OP's first post:
    I know this is a bit risky, but hey, I do it sometimes when I am in a hurry , as do a lot of people.

He does it when he's in a hurry as does his gang of sheep, ie: when they see the train approaching.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

Yes, good point. I can't see any difference between a train and a car. The train driver can always steer into a siding to avoid pedestrians or just step on those new ABS train brakes that stop a train in seconds.

What I've noticed is that any laws I break shouldn't even be laws in the first place or else they should be laws but the gardai should only apply them with discretion on rare occasions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

OTK wrote: »
    What I've noticed is that any laws I break shouldn't even be laws in the first place or else they should be laws but the gardai should only apply them with discretion on rare occasions.

In either case it makes you entitled to beak them though. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Thank God we do have rules and regulations about crossing tracks. The following could only happen in India. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTBkguuaGWA

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

DisandDat wrote: »
    No Irish man is going to tell me what to do. No irish goon is going to manhandle me. Does that clear up you politically correct sensitivities.

Why not 5 goons. The other person was a ticket inspector, not a hired enforcer (goon, look it up in a dictionary)

Catch yourself on.

Why didn't you tell us at the start you were above the law? :rolleyes: As Hagar asked previously, are there any other laws that don't apply to you? I only ask as I find those red lights and speed limits quite troublesome. I can see like an eagle and have reflexes like you wouldn't believe. I suppose that gives me the right to overtake a ambulance at 180 mph past a school while supping brandy (I can handle my drive), talking on my phone (not handsfree - I'm too busy for that!) and getting a BJ from the secretary (i'll put on my hazards before I shoot - just in case).

Darn Johnny Foreigners. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Locked until I have time to review all the reported posts. Thanks guys.

Okay.

Here is the state of play:

I will hand out bans if

1) anyone implies that the nationality of the IR employee has any bearing on how they do their jobs
    2) any more personal abuse - and I mean bans, not infractions, and those bans will be for two weeks minimum. Note the minimum bit.
    3) any trollery of any description as defined by me.

Thread re-opening.

Great job. Thats a cracking bit of moderating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Bogger77 wrote: »

Murphy at work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Thank God we do have rules and regulations about crossing tracks. The following could only happen in India. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTBkguuaGWA

Oh wait :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay4H6VAEtfs

Fcuking class. Best I've seen in a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Stay on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

A man was killed today by a train in the west of Ireland at a level crossing , so with this in mind I hope you have learned your lesson..........

Barry Kenny PR from Irish Rail was on the news asking people not to take risks on crossing railway lines.

Unfortunately this man was in his car when it happened and ran the red light at the crossing and was killed instantly....................

The driver is now suffering stress from this incident and my sympathies go out to the drivers family

OTK wrote: »
    Yes, good point. I can't see any difference between a train and a car. The train driver can always steer into a siding to avoid pedestrians or just step on those new ABS train brakes that stop a train in seconds.

I haven't seen any rail lines in Ireland with 1,000-50,000 trains per hours in each direction though.

And anyway how is a train going to "sneak" up on you without you seeing/hearing it, they're huge and loud!

I'm sure the OP wouldn't consider crossing the tracks if you could only see 10 metres in either direction, where you would not have time to react to a train, but there are few areas where you can't see 50 m plus in either direction

Further, its not like people are crossing wherever they feel like it, most of the lines are fenced \ walled off \ seperated in some form. I would suggest that these incidents are restriced to small areas mainly srrounding stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Sorry , correction ,sympathy to the man who lost his life when hit by the train

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

the GALL wrote: »
    just cause he's an idiot doesn't mean he's from kilbarrack......he could have been from dalkey and got off at the wrong stop:D:D:D

I didnt say he was from there , i said that it happened in kilbarrack . For the record, i know for a fact that he lives there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

Disanddat I can only say...keep up the good work, I agree with every post you've made thusfar.

Further, its not like people are crossing wherever they feel like it, most of the lines are fenced \ walled off \ seperated in some form. I would suggest that these incidents are restriced to small areas mainly srrounding stations.

Where you have a high concentration of people rushing to make a train who will run across the tracks when they see one coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

corktina wrote: »
    I think the point should be made also that a child might see you crossing the lines thus and decide its safe to follow your example.....

every year experianced Permanent Way staff get killed on the line....

Not in ireland they dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

I can't believe people are arguing for the right to cross busy train lines. Obviously not only is better enforcement needed (€500 is a pathetic fine too for the severity of the offence), but also basic education. Bad enough if kids don't know better, but grown adults?

• Advertisement

Hellm0 wrote: »
    Disanddat I can only say...keep up the good work, I agree with every post you've made thusfar.

Appreciate it.

Advertisement