Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Yesterday, 14:52   #7666
GreeBo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav010 View Post
This is going to be fun. This thread has been going for 6 years, for a considerable amount of that, he has not been the current No. 1. It’d be a bit of a laugh now if the Rugby Mods left up “Ireland current World No.1”
Maybe we should add the date to the thread title, for clarity?
Advertisement
Yesterday, 17:29   #7667
Bubbaclaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keano View Post
Thread title updated, probably have to change it next week!
Can't be overtaken this weekend anyway. Rahm not playing and Koepka too far behind that even a win wont do.
Thanks from:
Yesterday, 18:18   #7668
Dr. Bre

I’m guessing he plays the players next
Yesterday, 18:24   #7669
prawnsambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bre View Post
I’m guessing he plays the players next
I thought he was playing the Arnold Palmer Invitational?

Edit: Just checked and yes, he is.
Thanks from:
Yesterday, 20:52   #7670
FixdePitchmark

Quote:
Haven’t they been listed many times here since the last one in 2014? But sure go on, add them on to the thread title.
Do you just not like him or rate him ?

By the way enjoy it when ever ws have world number 1 in any sport

Rare enough , particularly in golf.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
Yesterday, 21:13   #7671
Dav010

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixdePitchmark View Post
Do you just not like him or rate him ?

By the way enjoy it when ever ws have world number 1 in any sport

Rare enough , particularly in golf.
Over the duration of this thread, he hasn’t been No 1 for a whole lot of the time, that isn’t an indicator of whether I like him or not, he just hasn’t been.

I do both rate him and like him, but only to an extent and perhaps not as emotionally and unequivocally as others. I enjoyed the Irish Rugby team being ranked number one in the world, but like Mcilroy, I was never convinced they were actually the best in the world. For me, winning is a better barometer of greatness than ranking points for coming 5th. I know others go by top 10’s, strokes gained, scoring averages etc. But that’s just my opinion.

Last edited by Dav010; Yesterday at 21:26.
Thanks from:
Yesterday, 21:40   #7672
rooney30

Quote:
Over the duration of this thread, he hasn’t been No 1 for a whole lot of the time, that isn’t an indicator of whether I like him or not, he just hasn’t been.

I do both rate him and like him, but only to an extent and perhaps not as emotionally and unequivocally as others. I enjoyed the Irish Rugby team being ranked number one in the world, but like Mcilroy, I was never convinced they were actually the best in the world. For me, winning is a better barometer of greatness than ranking points for coming 5th. I know others go by top 10’s, strokes gained, scoring averages etc. But that’s just my opinion.
If you are not convinced that Mcilroy is the best golfer in the world currently , then who do you consider to be the best ? Just curious
Yesterday, 21:49   #7673
Dav010

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooney30 View Post
If you are not convinced that Mcilroy is the best golfer in the world currently , then who do you consider to be the best ? Just curious
The rankings are so close that Rahm could have topped the rankings after the weekend, I wouldn’t have considered him the best player in the world either. That’s my point, there are a few players at the top, all very good, but none that I would say are out on their own. Keopke missed 3 months with injury, had be played those tournaments, though he doesn’t win a lot of regular tour events, he gets a lot of points and he could be number 1.

Believe me, I know many will disagree with my view and I respect that. Ranking rewards consistency and money/points earned by playing well.
Thanks from:
Yesterday, 22:25   #7674
fullstop

Wonderful thread name update.

Made all the better by the salt from certain posters.

Drink it in lads

Last edited by fullstop; Yesterday at 22:30.
Advertisement
Yesterday, 22:37   #7675
GreeBo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooney30 View Post
There are a bunch of them at the top. Koepka takes it for me down to his major dominance.
Yesterday, 22:40   #7676
Mantis Toboggan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreeBo View Post
There are a bunch of them at the top. Koepka takes it for me down to his major dominance.
Nah, had a great 2018 and early parts of 2019 but he's had a poor 6 months. Needs to up it big time if he wants to get back to number 1.
(2) thanks from:
Yesterday, 22:45   #7677
fullstop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan View Post
Nah, had a great 2018 and early parts of 2019 but he's had a poor 6 months. Needs to up it big time if he wants to get back to number 1.
Agreed. Very hit and miss. But that’s for the Koepka thread I’m sure.
Yesterday, 22:47   #7678
Dav010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan View Post
He didn’t play for 3 months and was having trouble since March with serious knee injury.

Maybe it’s a good thing if top spot changes a few times during the year, it’ll sharpen the players minds and game going into/during the Majors period. Given how dismissive Keopke was about McIlroy last year, he is bound to be a bit sore with giving up No 1.

Do you think McIlroy going into the Masters as No 1 will mean additional pressure, or give him confidence?

Last edited by Dav010; Yesterday at 22:56.
Yesterday, 23:11   #7679
rooney30

Quote:
He didn’t play for 3 months and was having trouble since March with serious knee injury.

Maybe it’s a good thing if top spot changes a few times during the year, it’ll sharpen the players minds and game going into/during the Majors period. Given how dismissive Keopke was about McIlroy last year, he is bound to be a bit sore with giving up No 1.

Do you think McIlroy going into the Masters as No 1 will mean additional pressure, or give him confidence?
Until the monkey of the career grand slam is off his back , then the pressure going into the masters is going to be immense either way , don’t think being no 1 will add massively to it , the focus on him will always be huge.
Will he gain confidence from it ? You would hope he would . Will that translate into a win ? God only knows

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion