Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭sliabh 1956

What I meant was he missed a few short ones to go even better any at the turn he is only 1 behind all to play for

only pared the par 5after his second overshot the green 5 now 2 behind after

• Registered Users Posts: 17,575 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Bad 3 putt there that's his tournament over. Deshambles has it wrapped up anyway.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

BdC really going well rory just dropped a shot hard to see him pulling it back from here

• Registered Users Posts: 12,554 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Another top 5. Needs that extra little bit to get a win now.

• Advertisement

Rory McIlroy has now officially passed Nick Faldo to take third spot in the number of weeks at World number one rankings on 98. Nearest challenger in the current crop is DJ with 91 weeks. Highly unlikely that he'll pass Greg Norman's 331 and no chance of even getting close to Tiger Woods' 683. :eek:.

Still a notable milestone. Only another couple of weeks to get into triple figures.

• Mods: Can the title of the thread be changed to 'Rory McIlroy - World Number 1' to reflect his achievement in this regard.

There are similar thread titles for individuals like Padraig, Shane, Leona etc. recognising a specific achievement.

Thanks in advance.

Another solid week for him. Not at his best but certain parts of his game are really good.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 13,864 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Mods: Can the title of the thread be changed to 'Rory McIlroy - World Number 1' to reflect his achievement in this regard.

There are similar thread titles for individuals like Padraig, Shane, Leona etc. recognising a specific achievement.

Thanks in advance.

Considering how tight the ranking points are, be prepared for a lot of “not anymore” posts.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Thread title updated, probably have to change it next week!

• Advertisement

This is going to be fun. This thread has been going for 6 years, for a considerable amount of that, he has not been the current No. 1. It’d be a bit of a laugh now if the Rugby Mods left up “Ireland current World No.1”

• Dav010 wrote: »
    This is going to be fun. This thread has been going for 6 years, for a considerable amount of that, he has not been the current No. 1.

Maybe we should list the 4 majors he has won instead.

Maybe we should list the 4 majors he has won instead.

Haven’t they been listed many times here since the last one in 2014? But sure go on, add them on to the thread title.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Now folks it is only a bit of fun, let's not get carried away

• Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Dav010 wrote: »
    This is going to be fun. This thread has been going for 6 years, for a considerable amount of that, he has not been the current No. 1. It’d be a bit of a laugh now if the Rugby Mods left up “Ireland current World No.1”

Maybe we should add the date to the thread title, for clarity?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Keano wrote: »
    Thread title updated, probably have to change it next week!

Can't be overtaken this weekend anyway. Rahm not playing and Koepka too far behind that even a win wont do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I’m guessing he plays the players next

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    I’m guessing he plays the players next
    I thought he was playing the Arnold Palmer Invitational?

Edit: Just checked and yes, he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,611 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Haven’t they been listed many times here since the last one in 2014? But sure go on, add them on to the thread title.

Do you just not like him or rate him ?

By the way enjoy it when ever ws have world number 1 in any sport

Rare enough , particularly in golf.

Do you just not like him or rate him ?

By the way enjoy it when ever ws have world number 1 in any sport

Rare enough , particularly in golf.

Over the duration of this thread, he hasn’t been No 1 for a whole lot of the time, that isn’t an indicator of whether I like him or not, he just hasn’t been.

I do both rate him and like him, but only to an extent and perhaps not as emotionally and unequivocally as others. I enjoyed the Irish Rugby team being ranked number one in the world, but like Mcilroy, I was never convinced they were actually the best in the world. For me, winning is a better barometer of greatness than ranking points for coming 5th. I know others go by top 10’s, strokes gained, scoring averages etc. But that’s just my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭rooney30

Over the duration of this thread, he hasn’t been No 1 for a whole lot of the time, that isn’t an indicator of whether I like him or not, he just hasn’t been.

I do both rate him and like him, but only to an extent and perhaps not as emotionally and unequivocally as others. I enjoyed the Irish Rugby team being ranked number one in the world, but like Mcilroy, I was never convinced they were actually the best in the world. For me, winning is a better barometer of greatness than ranking points for coming 5th. I know others go by top 10’s, strokes gained, scoring averages etc. But that’s just my opinion.

If you are not convinced that Mcilroy is the best golfer in the world currently , then who do you consider to be the best ? Just curious

rooney30 wrote: »
    If you are not convinced that Mcilroy is the best golfer in the world currently , then who do you consider to be the best ? Just curious

The rankings are so close that Rahm could have topped the rankings after the weekend, I wouldn’t have considered him the best player in the world either. That’s my point, there are a few players at the top, all very good, but none that I would say are out on their own. Keopke missed 3 months with injury, had be played those tournaments, though he doesn’t win a lot of regular tour events, he gets a lot of points and he could be number 1.

Believe me, I know many will disagree with my view and I respect that. Ranking rewards consistency and money/points earned by playing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Wonderful thread name update.

Made all the better by the salt from certain posters.

Drink it in lads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

rooney30 wrote: »

There are a bunch of them at the top. Koepka takes it for me down to his major dominance.

GreeBo wrote: »
    There are a bunch of them at the top. Koepka takes it for me down to his major dominance.

Nah, had a great 2018 and early parts of 2019 but he's had a poor 6 months. Needs to up it big time if he wants to get back to number 1.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Nah, had a great 2018 and early parts of 2019 but he's had a poor 6 months. Needs to up it big time if he wants to get back to number 1.

Agreed. Very hit and miss. But that’s for the Koepka thread I’m sure.

He didn’t play for 3 months and was having trouble since March with serious knee injury.

Maybe it’s a good thing if top spot changes a few times during the year, it’ll sharpen the players minds and game going into/during the Majors period. Given how dismissive Keopke was about McIlroy last year, he is bound to be a bit sore with giving up No 1.

Do you think McIlroy going into the Masters as No 1 will mean additional pressure, or give him confidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭rooney30

He didn’t play for 3 months and was having trouble since March with serious knee injury.

Maybe it’s a good thing if top spot changes a few times during the year, it’ll sharpen the players minds and game going into/during the Majors period. Given how dismissive Keopke was about McIlroy last year, he is bound to be a bit sore with giving up No 1.

Do you think McIlroy going into the Masters as No 1 will mean additional pressure, or give him confidence?

Until the monkey of the career grand slam is off his back , then the pressure going into the masters is going to be immense either way , don’t think being no 1 will add massively to it , the focus on him will always be huge.
    Will he gain confidence from it ? You would hope he would . Will that translate into a win ? God only knows

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭OEP

It will be interesting to see how Koepka gets on this year. No one, since Tiger, has managed to dominate in the majors for more than about 2 years. McIlroy had his stint, then Spieth, then Koepka. It also shows that unless you're a freak like Tiger, it's near impossible to dominate for long periods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Hate Na ðŸ˜ðŸ˜
    Had a good laugh the time he took 16 in the woods.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement