Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

31-01-2020, 09:47   #16
HeidiHeidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBoBandy View Post
I've seen a video of the morning in question where they crash into a ship, then hit a DP pilot boat...

The mast wasn't standing, it was laid on the deck, so extremely dangerous to go ramming other boats in that situation!! oh, and a bicycle on deck!!

Yeah, from what I heard at the time and reading between the lines, I'd say it went far beyond what is being reported (badly) in the media.

I'm assuming the boat was a wreck, maybe it just disintegrated or sank or something! Was the name of it ever reported?

I'd say Poolbeg are only delighted with their delightful club members - not!! Although they're being left out of most reports I've seen.
Advertisement
31-01-2020, 09:55   #17
AndyBoBandy

Agree on shocking media reporting, you'd have at least expected RTE to ask Brian Dobson (a sailor) to proof read the articles before publishing/reporting them...

The boat didn't look too bad all considering, I can post a pic (Mod permitting), it's of teh boat with DFB Rib alongside it.
31-01-2020, 09:58   #18
HeidiHeidi

Quote:
Agree on shocking media reporting, you'd have at least expected RTE to ask Brian Dobson (a sailor) to proof read the articles before publishing/reporting them...

The boat didn't look too bad all considering, I can post a pic (Mod permitting), it's of teh boat with DFB Rib alongside it.

I think there were pics in the papers at the time - mast on deck rings a bell now you mention it.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards the reporters taking the piss out of the two boys, although I'm not sure it worked!
31-01-2020, 12:37   #19
Alkers

Send a message via MSN to Alkers
Hilarious scenario in fairness, the bit where the guy stripped off all his clothes - claiming this was because of the presence of armed Gardai. Also the foreign brand fancy bottles of water and the planned 6am morning cruise.

It does show how ill-equipped we are to deal with these kind of things though, Garda leaping from boat to boat without a life jacket etc.
31-01-2020, 21:30   #20
Steve
Life is hard, deal with it.

Quote:
I can post a pic (Mod permitting), it's of teh boat with DFB Rib alongside it.
You mean this one? (originally published on Independent.ie and rte.ie)

Thanks from:
Advertisement
31-01-2020, 21:32   #21
AndyBoBandy

This, with a bit of a closer look..
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 17EDF26F-D782-4564-A1A5-FA150834BB37.jpeg (94.3 KB, 82 views)
(3) thanks from:
31-01-2020, 23:39   #22

I'm not sure that the 'reportage' was a pi$$take, the writer was a court reporter who would just regurgitate the words of the lawyers. Most reporters would have no idea - e.g. when there was a squall at a junior event a couple of years ago in DL and mammies were on Newstalk, poor old Moncrieffe had to ask what a regatta was, he genuinely had no idea!
There were two Junior counsel and at least one firm of solicitors for the hearing over several days. Not cheap, I'll cry if those cretins qualified for FLA.
Thanks from:
01-02-2020, 06:27   #23
DOCARCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeidiHeidi View Post
I also have to laugh at the reporting of "yacht captain", "deck crew", "told to moor the ship".
I reckon that was just part of the defense, a ploy, and media just reporting what was said/described.

Describing themselves as captain and deck crew simply, in my opinion, just an attempt to try and get it into the mind of the court/judge that they were somehow of equal importance (to commercial traffic) on the river (instead of a pair of gobsh**es).
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion