Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Search for Fungie

• 19-10-2020 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

I see from the news that a voluntary SAR were recently involved in the search for this Dolphin at sea.

Interested to hear people's thoughts on this.

I'm not sure this is the right use of their resources. If I for example had fundraised/ donated to this charity this might make me 2nd guess doing it again.

Then again maybe I'm missing the hype

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

I didn't see the news or whatever but operations such as this should be treated as
    training exercises. In my opinion, this is an opportunity for SAR to test and hone a certain 'set' of their skills.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

My view is that down in the Southwest it's of importance. Not just to business owners but to schoolchildren and to the general population's morale.
    If it fits in with s training exercise, then why not. It would be all positive, and zero negatives, if this icon was located.
    If they can rescue assh*les who go up mountains or out to sea despite warning after warning, then they can assist in a search that matters locally and regionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

As someone who has taken the boat ride out to see the dolphin (in, gulp, 1992!!) I can only assume that because of his great age, he has gone to dolphin heaven.
    That's what happens to mortal creatures.
    Sad, but that's the world we live in.

Interested to hear people's thoughts on this.

I'm not sure this is the right use of their resources. If I for example had fundraised/ donated to this charity this might make me 2nd guess doing it again.

Thoughts?

I think there's an awful lot of people with bad attitudes when it comes to how volunteers spend their time in various emergency service organisations.

Snide, flippant, judgemental comments abound. If you've ever made a donation to them, let them know your thoughts. If you haven't, put your money where your mouth is, I say. Most if not all won't.

It's no different when an MRT go on a call-out for something other than a mountaineer or hillwalker in need of help. Everyone has an opinion and having spent 10 or so years with a pager on my hip pulling me away from the dinner or the day off for a frontline 999 call, I speak from experience when I say it was usually the guys who never put a cent in the bucket or a cheque in the post who used to come up with that kind of crap. Water off a ducks back to me, but the whinging made me think little of the whinger.

The way I see it, sonar runs, grid searching at sea, time on a tank and whatever else they invest is time well spent IMHO. I'd rather they got the hours in training/practicing or whatever and burned a few hundred euro worth of diesel and compressor time than sat around watching the pennies for fear of some other opinionated internet poster sitting in his armchair and wagging their finger.

If you're in any of the vols yourself, I'll bet you can find a problem in your own that needs attention much sooner than Mallow Search & Rescue need it.

Mallow SAR, fair play to ye. And fair play to the Dingle community for digging deep and throwing a few quid in to cover your expenses. It doesn't take much looking to see that's who's bankrolling this extended training opportunity. Funny that, how easy it is for some to find what's right there to be found, while others will be noisy and kick around the grass because it's not quite obvious enough for their wants.

Advertisement