Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Almost got a swarm

• 20-05-2020 9:07am

I was doing the bee keep course but it was cut short due to covid.
    So I am still very green........
    Anyways I given a hive a few weeks back and last night it there were quite a few bees at the entrance. A few 100 at least.

I was pleasantly surprised as I wasn't trying but this morning they are gone :confused:

There is only 6/7 frames in the brood box.
    I had a super on it.....for no other reason that I just set it up when I got it.

Do you think either of these could be the reason they didnt stay ?
    I've taken the super off now just in case but I have no more frames.

Thanks

177f1fd8-f697-4641-9b79-de8fe4a3c735.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭victor8600

Do you think either of these could be the reason they didnt stay ?

Probably not. Do you know that the place where the swarm ends up is decided by bees "voting" on the location, with the place which gets more scouts back winning? So your hive was approved by quite a few bees :)

Bees may have given up on swarming at that particular time. For example, if their queen has clipped wings, she would have just dropped out of the original hive and the swarm would not go anywhere without her.

Thats Victor,
    It was nice to have a visit from them anyway.
    Hopefully we get another visit!

Looks like they are back for a second viewing!
    Quite a few more than yesterday.
    Here to stay I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,235 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

You could have up to a hundred or more scouts, call it the 3rd round interview, the return today might very well be the full swarm having picked a final home.

Stay out of their way and let them settle.

If the weather stays like this June will be a massive month for swarms.

Danzy wrote: »
    You could have up to a hundred or more scouts, call it the 3rd round interview, the return today might very well be the full swarm having picked a final home.

Stay out of their way and let them settle.

If the weather stays like this June will be a massive month for swarms.

Fingers crossed.
    I removed the super this morning before work and there wasnt a single bee.

• Advertisement

Still here as of this morning so I think they have found a new home.
    How long should I leave it before taking a look ?
    Im going to order more frames anyway so I wont open it until I have them .

Still here as of this morning so I think they have found a new home.
    How long should I leave it before taking a look ?
    Im going to order more frames anyway so I wont open it until I have them .

A day or two. They will start building new comb, so be prepared when raising the crown board, most likely it will have a piece of comb hanging down. I would put whatever frames you have (even super frames are better than nothing) in 1 or 2 days.

Did a hive inspection today .
    All looking good.
    And as Victor said some comb on the crown board so I got the the small super frames in.
    This was my first hive inspection ever but had a friend with a few years experience to help .
    All looking good.
    I'm 90% sure i spotted the queen too and she was unmarked.
    Very happy with how it went.

Great news, congratulations on catching a swarm :) Replace the super frames as soon as you can. In fact, it is good to have some (10-20) spare frames assembled and ready for any future eventualities.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

I have been lucky and caught two swarms in the last two weeks

Both were in boxes up trees
    One I have moved into a hive; the other I will move into a hive’ either today or tomorrow
    It arrived last Sunday 24/5 at four o’clock moved it next morning at 6am
    Plenty of branches and grass around the entrance so they would orientate to the new location.
    Very few bees came back to where they were caught.
    About 200 meters from where they were caught
    This is the second swarm from this location; I had one last year from this position
    I replaced the swarm box that evening and it is now being checked out by more scouts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Flipperdipper

copper12 wrote: »
    I have been lucky and caught two swarms in the last two weeks

Both were in boxes up trees
    One I have moved into a hive; the other I will move into a hive’ either today or tomorrow
    It arrived last Sunday 24/5 at four o’clock moved it next morning at 6am
    Plenty of branches and grass around the entrance so they would orientate to the new location.
    Very few bees came back to where they were caught.
    About 200 meters from where they were caught
    This is the second swarm from this location; I had one last year from this position
    I replaced the swarm box that evening and it is now being checked out by more scouts
    NOT FAIR ! :P I've five bait hives out and not a sign of any interest. :(:)

Was cleaning the back yard in an old house in town, have swarm trap there, this shower arrived.

First time I saw a swarm in flight and land.

NOT FAIR ! :P I've five bait hives out and not a sign of any interest. :(:)

I had a drawn wax frame and 2 drops of lemongrass in it.

Mostly I was lucky.

Put something they can forage in it, they are often scouts later on.

I'd say this summer will be a significant swarm year.

The amount of brood in some boxes is mental.

Caught 2 more today, 2 hew boxes up as well, getting cocky now and expecting a dozen caught swarms.

Caught 2 more today, 2 hew boxes up as well, getting cocky now and expecting a dozen caught swarms.

You just may :) As you said, bees are having a good time, my commercial brood boxes have 9-11 frames of brood and packed with bees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭ezra_

Do baitboxes need to be high?

I have a poly nuc and have ordered a nuc brood box for it, so it should be of sufficient size.
    If we don't catch anything, it will serve as a means to control swarming in case we have to pack the queen away.

My plan was to locate it about 100m or so away from the hive, among some trees. I wasn't planning on raising it 6ft though...

ezra_ wrote: »
    Do baitboxes need to be high?

I put my swarm traps at the height that is comfortable for me to reach. This year, I got one swarm on top of a shed, and another on a temporary stand 1m in height. Traps higher up might have been more effective, but would be more difficult to set up and take down, so not worth the hassle for me.

Studies have shown that 16ft is optimal.

Mine are 7ft on one place and on a flat roof on another.10ft

There is a hive in a tree near me, wild, they are 3 feet off the Ditch.

Know lads who have caught them in hives that are left empty.

So high as you can but you should be ok either way.

Will my hive was only 400mm off the ground and they showed up.
    Friend caught one too and moved them to my place so now I've two!!
    First colony is doing fantastic.super on yesterday and have another super ordered.
    Second colony is 2/3 weeks behind.
    Weaker but queen spotted and marked and brood in the box.
    I've had to learn quick ,but loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Mellifera

victor8600 wrote: »
    I put my swarm traps at the height that is comfortable for me to reach. This year, I got one swarm on top of a shed, and another on a temporary stand 1m in height. Traps higher up might have been more effective, but would be more difficult to set up and take down, so not worth the hassle for me.

Do you put your baits near your own apiary or away from it? Does it matter? Is it better with a bee pheromone around the area?
    We had a swarm arrive the other day to the corner of our house...original crew arrived 15 years ago when we were building. Its approx. 2m off the ground and has always had bees in that 15 years. My apiary is at other side of the house but i never seem to have luck with catching a swarm. Have used both lures and lemongrass. Bait is on a ditch approx. 20m away about four feet off the ground.

• Advertisement

Mellifera wrote: »
    Do you put your baits near your own apiary or away from it? ...

40 m from my apiary and on top of shed in the back garden of the house in Dublin.

Caught 5 so far, 1 left again.

Desperate June here, all bees would be dead without feeding nevermind just off the lay.

Heard a wild hum from the hives, so went over big cloud of bees leaving.

Landed in a poplar tree, put a drop of lure on the back of a nuc and started scooping them in.

All stowed but got 7 good stings and 2 more when I was going in to the car.

Main thing is that they are kept but surprised at how vicious they were.

Wasps everywhere this year.

As if the summer was not hard enough.

Wasps everywhere this year.

As if the summer was not hard enough.

Not in my location. Last year they were mobbing the hives, this year only a few wasps seen.

Advertisement