Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Calculating Carers Allowance

• 02-03-2020 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi Guys!
    My little boy was diagnosed with Moderate/Severe ASD at Christmas. Only just sent off the DOM Care form 2 weeks ago and now taking a stab at the carers form. I'm just so tired and defeated by it all I'm wondering should I even be bothered to fill in the form?

Our little boy has severe sensory issues and is waiting to attend ASD preschool in September (hoping he'll have a place, if not he has to have a home tutor for 20 hours a week.)

I suppose I'm just wondering how exactly is the carers calculated and means tested? I've read the information on citizens information until my brain is gone numb, but still can't work out if I'll be entitled to it or not based on my partner's wages.

I don't want to waste more of my time and energy to fill out this form if we are over the threshold.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,012 ✭✭✭✭looksee

OP, its entirely understandable that you are struggling, its a lot to deal with - both the medical stuff and coping with a child with issues of any sort. I can't be much help as I don't have experience in this area, but I presume you have read this https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/health_services/children_s_health/caring_for_a_child_with_a_disability.html
    are you sure its the CA you should be looking for - I don't know, I am just asking as there are several alternatives. You could ring Citizens Advice and make an appointment to have someone help you with the forms, or at least suggest to you which you should be looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 tinytot1994

looksee wrote: »
    OP, its entirely understandable that you are struggling, its a lot to deal with - both the medical stuff and coping with a child with issues of any sort. I can't be much help as I don't have experience in this area, but I presume you have read this https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/health_services/children_s_health/caring_for_a_child_with_a_disability.html
    are you sure its the CA you should be looking for - I don't know, I am just asking as there are several alternatives. You could ring Citizens Advice and make an appointment to have someone help you with the forms, or at least suggest to you which you should be looking for.

Thank you for replying! Yes I have read all that.
    I haven't worked since I went on Maternity leave from my old job in June 2017 a month before my son was born. Then while I was on unpaid maternity leave I was pregnant with my daughter who was then born in December 2018. I was due to return to work in June 2019 but unfortunately I had to hand in my notice as my little boy could not be placed in a creche or with a childminder, ( had tried both of these months previous to this but he had to be withdrawn as he had his problems before he was diagnosed with ASD).

His OT, Developmental Paediatrician, Psychologist and GP have all told me to apply for the Carers with the Domicilary.

My partner earns €750 after tax per week and I don't get any sort of social welfare because of his wages.

It looks as though you do have it well in hand, I know it can be annoying when people advise you to do stuff you have done or is not relevant, so sorry about that. It still might be worth having a word with Citizens Advice though, they might be able to give some guidance.

If you don't get any useful response here you might try in https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=861

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 tinytot1994

looksee wrote: »
    It looks as though you do have it well in hand, I know it can be annoying when people advise you to do stuff you have done or is not relevant, so sorry about that. It still might be worth having a word with Citizens Advice though, they might be able to give some guidance.

If you don't get any useful response here you might try in https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=861

Good luck!

Thank you so much! I will definitely give Citizens another ring and see what they say.
    I already tried posting in that group but unfortunately it kept saying access denied, the group is closed!
    Thanks though <3

No, its not a closed group, no idea what happened! You can find it by following - Business and Finance - Personal - State Benefits. Its hidden but not closed :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement