Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New EU army

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭sparky42

There was zero prospect of irish troops being sent to Afghanistan and Syria too,wasnt it,strange but it happened though.
    And remember irish troops have been sold out before by politicians,and i will guarantee you it will happen again.

You didn’t answer my question, what military are you “conscripted” to?

Why is it strange? The Government had it passed by the Daíl, nothing untoward about that, also there’s a quantum difference between deploying less than a dozen troops and this fantasy EU military that a certain section of headbangers have.

sparky42 wrote: »
    You didn’t answer my question, what military are you “conscripted” to?

Why is it strange? The Government had it passed by the Daíl, nothing untoward about that, also there’s a quantum difference between deploying less than a dozen troops and this fantasy EU military that a certain section of headbangers have.

None of your business what i am conscripted too,all you need to know is that i have been doing navy and merchant fleet for the last 30 years,10 years as master.

Offcourse not,its no major wars going on in and around Europe at the moment is it?The EU army will work the same way as article 5 in NATO,only this is stated in article 42 in the Lisbon treaty,meaning you will send troops when called upon by Brussels.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

[MOD]I'm sure there is a reason that Sailorman1451 has resurrected this thread with the apparent primary goal of causing insult. Maybe when he returns in two weeks he'll explain it.[/MOD]

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Townton

Will Ireland join with own troops or will EU recruit their own?

Hopefully they recruit their own. With all the European perks, good salary, tax free and a monstrous pension. If it is the case I hope they knock on my door.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Townton

There was zero prospect of irish troops being sent to Afghanistan and Syria too,wasnt it,strange but it happened though.
    And remember irish troops have been sold out before by politicians,and i will guarantee you it will happen again.

Think you are slightly under estimating how much soldiers actually want to be deployed. Any soldier worth their salt doesn't see the idea of being sent over seas as a bad thing quite the opposite actually, thats my experience anyway.

• Advertisement

Townton wrote: »
    Think you are slightly under estimating how much soldiers actually want to be deployed. Any soldier worth their salt doesn't see the idea of being sent over seas as a bad thing quite the opposite actually, thats my experience anyway.

I know,its just thats its a difference being under Irish command and volunteer to go then to being under command from Brussels and forced to go.

Townton wrote: »
    Hopefully they recruit their own. With all the European perks, good salary, tax free and a monstrous pension. If it is the case I hope they knock on my door.

I think what EU is planning is more of a NATO style army,where you are called upon if needed.

Advertisement