Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Research A Soldier

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Well that was handy,none of that info was passed on with the medals.Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

he's on the 1901 census with parents Alfred, a Police Constable, and mother Elizabeth. Both aged 35 and both born Middlesex. 2 younger sisters. The granny Elizabeth McGee is there, aged 65, a widow from Ireland (looks like possibly Cork). Also 38year old Stephen McGee in the house. Born Middlesex.

Thanks lads for all the help,its after building up a much bigger picture of this soldier than what I was expecting.

Ponster wrote: »
    I got it from DNW auctioneers

I'll go through the pension records later today and see if it matches with their info.

edit :it seems he signed up in Match 1915, was wounded in 1916 and headed back to the UK and was sent back to France on 25-11-1918 ( a little late! ) I can't make out the writing on the record explain what type of injury. I'll post it up here later.
    Just to update this one,I've had a look at that record and it seems he suffered a gun shot wound to his finger and I think also to his hand,he also was in hospital for something else but I can't make out the writing.

Can anyone tell me,are the Attestation papers available for casualties on Ancestry or are they only available to people who survived the war?,or is it a case that a lot of these records got destroyed in the blitz?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

arnhem44 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me,are the Attestation papers available for casualties on Ancestry or are they only available to people who survived the war?,or is it a case that a lot of these records got destroyed in the blitz?

Can't answer your first question (though I believe that once the papers exist then they're available no matter if the person survived or died) but yes, more than 50% of the WWI records were destroyed in the blitz.

Thanks Ponster,I might try and go through the names again and see if they turn up anything,not had any luck the first time around, only MIC's and SDGW entries for them.Maybe I'm just doing something wrong myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭AUDIE MURPHY

Hi, i was wondering if any one here could help me with more info than i have on my great grand father. i have checked the obivous listings and i have found that in the census of 1911 in dublin he was aged 34 and then i found out on his war records he was killed in 1915 aged 31?????? was there an age limit on men enlisting in the royal dublin fusiliers. his name is Jeremiah Barnes ID number S87 unit number 6953. also i would like to know what medals he was awarded. he was killed in Flanders on the 24th of may 1915.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

hi Audie, he was entitiled to the 1915 star,Victory medal, and British war medal, he entered France on the 3/5/1915 and was presumed killed on the 24/5/1915, all this info came from his medal index card,I will look to se if he has any service records still existing.If you want a copy of his MIC ,send me your email.The dublin fusiliers were subjected to a gas attack at Mouse trap farm on the 24/5/1915.
    Reagrsd,
    KK

Thanks a lot for that info kk, i was stuck with what i had . i knew about the battle they were gased in. also i have found his name on the memorial .do you know of any reason why his age was different for both records. also i would be very greatful for the medal card i will pm you my email. do you know if i can find out if the medals were given to
    next of kin . and how do i go about gettings copies of them. audie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

I have a silver locket, its engraved;

Lieut J.R. Black
    Pres.
    9th Royal Scots

Any information on who this person was or how to find further information about him.

The locket contains three old black and white pictures.

If I could find out more about him. I'd love to return this locket to his relatives.

Regards,

Fries.

I have a silver locket, its engraved;

Lieut J.R. Black
    Pres.
    9th Royal Scots

James Robert Black, reg. number 1750.

There is an address on his medal card (lucky you!) which is :

Mrs M.A.W Black
    Bark Cottage
    Moffat
    Scotland

which could be a mother or a wife I'd guess.

A quick look in the UK White Pages brings up a list of 21 Blacks in Moffat, Scotland. One of which is interestingly a J R Black :)

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

Thanks for this information, I wonder would they think I was some kind of stalker if I just rang them.

Can't do any harm,would make a nice story if you were successful in finding them,not sure if they might be interested but worth a try anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

spurious wrote: »
    They certainly take care of the CWGC headstones. A team go round regularly cleaning them. For those buried in family plots it might be a little more complicated, especially if the family specifically refused a CGWC headstone and thus might have some issues with the Commission.
    The CWGC sent me a pic of my uncle's grave in france on request as they photograph all the graves and will send them on line if you request it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

Thanks a lot for that info kk, i was stuck with what i had . i knew about the battle they were gased in. also i have found his name on the memorial .do you know of any reason why his age was different for both records. also i would be very greatful for the medal card i will pm you my email. do you know if i can find out if the medals were given to

there is a short book out about mouse trap farm and your relative might be mentioned in it if you can get a copy of it, cant remember the name of it but when i do i'll let you know. J.Barnes died at the same place and time as William Malone the brother of Michael Malone ,killed in action during the Easter Rising ,who commanded the men at Mount St Bridge one year later. here is a link to CWGC in case you may not have seen it.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=926681
    http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=1622638

i think it may be left too long to get replacement medals, but not 100% on that, but its easy enough to get copies of medals and a jeweller could put his details on the edge for you.

Ponster wrote: »
    James Robert Black, reg. number 1750.

There is an address on his medal card (lucky you!) which is :

Mrs M.A.W Black
    Bark Cottage
    Moffat
    Scotland

which could be a mother or a wife I'd guess.

A quick look in the UK White Pages brings up a list of 21 Blacks in Moffat, Scotland. One of which is interestingly a J R Black :)

there are 2 medal cards for this chap. The second notes his award of a Distinguished Conduct Medal in 1916.

there is a family tree on Ancestry with Jeremiah Barnes. Appears to be by a Gt Gt Granddaughter; user id Claire Zazzara. A photo of his son Jeremiah is linked to a tree belonging to another Ancestry user, Angeline Beech.

there are 2 entries for him on Findagrave. The latter with some photos of the Menin Gate panels.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Barnes&GSfn=Jeremiah&GSbyrel=in&GSdyrel=in&GSob=n&GRid=11635520&

thanks johnny for the help. i cant seem to access the family tree you mentioned, and i dont think it is my great grand father. but it would be interesting to see it.

there is a short book out about mouse trap farm and your relative might be mentioned in it if you can get a copy of it, cant remember the name of it but when i do i'll let you know. J.Barnes died at the same place and time as William Malone the brother of Michael Malone ,killed in action during the Easter Rising ,who commanded the men at Mount St Bridge one year later. here is a link to CWGC in case you may not have seen it.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=926681
    http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=1622638

i think it may be left too long to get replacement medals, but not 100% on that, but its easy enough to get copies of medals and a jeweller could put his details on the edge for you.
    Thanks R Dub i had the casualty link from CWGC already, very interesting about who he fought along side. im searching ebay for copies of the medals. would his name be put on the three medals originaly. if so then his medals are out there some where. Am i correct ? .

• Advertisement

image of the entry in the tree attached. Just did a search for Jeremiah Barnes, born Dublin.

Thanks R Dub i had the casualty link from CWGC already, very interesting about who he fought along side. im searching ebay for copies of the medals. would his name be put on the three medals originaly. if so then his medals are out there some where. Am i correct ? .

Yes his medals are around most likely and all are named and numbered with his relevant rank at the time the medals were awarded,there is sites such as Medal Tracker which provide a service where you post up his details which people can view,if his medals are there then its possible to once again obtain them,also you can search what medals are already listed yourself.Unnamed examples do come up for sale however medals that have had the naming erased off the edge are more readily available but depending on how well this is done is the key to getting a worthwhile replacement,some are crudely erased so it may take a while to find good ones.There is also a down side to replacements,some people still buy someone else's medals and erase the names themselves which then become lost forever to anyone looking for them,its a sad practise and shouldn't be done.

I always use Awardmedals for replacement medals

Ok lads here is another one that I need help with please.This is for a uncle who had his Grandfather in the war,his details are minimal.I've been told that Peter Kerins lived at possible addresses at a place called Bath Avenue and Canal Street in Dublin,after the war his name is then spelt Kearns.I've checked the names on the MIC's on the National Archives in the UK and there is no P or Peter Kerins Listed but there is a small list of P and Peter Kearns Listed,yesterday I was told he served as a medic however there is no Kearns listed as been in the RAMC so he must of been in some other branch of service.I know this is a long shot but any help would be great.

Ok just had a look on the Cencus and Peter Kerins is listed as living with his relations called Morgan on Bath Avenue and his age is given as 16 in 1911

Peter Kerins born : 1885 and living in Bath Avenue, Dublin.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Pembroke_West/Bath_Avenue/10707/

I'll look up Ancestry later if someone doesn't get there first...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

im searching ebay for copies of the medals. would his name be put on the three medals originaly. if so then his medals are out there some where. Am i correct ? .

you might be lucky and find the original medals. i have heard of people getting relatives medals after decades of being in other hands. if you look hard enough you might just find what you want . i have to agree with what arnhem44 says about renaming medals but as he said original medals can be found which are not named and i have seen them on ebay for sale. here is a link that may be of help.
    http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/reunite/lost_missing_a.htm

you could also try putting a post up here
    http://z9.invisionfree.com/royaldublinfusiliers/index.php

image of the entry in the tree attached. Just did a search for Jeremiah Barnes, born Dublin.
    Thanks johnny for that, she must be a distant relation, probably related to jeremiahs son of the same name, my grandfather was the youngest son john, id be interested in know were she is searching the family tree from.

arnhem44 wrote: »
    Ok lads here is another one that I need help with please.This is for a uncle who had his Grandfather in the war,his details are minimal.I've been told that Peter Kerins lived at possible addresses at a place called Bath Avenue and Canal Street in Dublin,after the war his name is then spelt Kearns.I've checked the names on the MIC's on the National Archives in the UK and there is no P or Peter Kerins Listed but there is a small list of P and Peter Kearns Listed,yesterday I was told he served as a medic however there is no Kearns listed as been in the RAMC so he must of been in some other branch of service.I know this is a long shot but any help would be great.

there is a Peter Kerins listed in a public tree on Ancestry. Linked to above 1911 census info there's a note :

"Living with his Aunt Mary Morgan nee Kerins in Bath Avenue Sandymount"

parents shown as Peter Kerins (d 1906) and Teresa Smith (d 1900). No info about army service.

There's a service record on Ancestry for Peter Kearns, 16th Battn MGC number 71938, with address 8 Upper Grand Canal St, Dublin. Married 8/9/1915 but no info at all re wife. A trimmer before enlistment.

69 days in RAMC (no 11851), 1year plus in the RDF (no 3/25818) and then in the MGC. Served in Egypt and France with period in hospital in Malta.

Born "Star of the Sea Parish" in 1893. Enlisted 31/3/1915. Demob Feb 1919. Suffered gunshot wound to left foot 18/3/1918.

7809794 appears as a Regt No too.

Medal card has his RDF (21858) and MGC (71938) service. 1915 Star, BWM and VM. Date of entry to theatre 15/11/1915

• Advertisement

Thanks for checking on that johnny,I posted a similar question on the GW forum to broaden the chance of finding something and got the same man,judging by what you posted there he had a busy time and a little strange that he had 69 days in the RAMC.I wonder was his move to the RDF to bolster up the numbers at the time.Thanks for posting that up.

Advertisement