Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bad double edge shaving results

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Dramatik

I would avoid long strokes with the razor and going over the same area more than once, stretch the skin but don't be too aggressive, try to avoid touching shaved areas where possible. At first aim to achieve a comfortable shave rather than a close one. Those close and clean shaves will come later down the line with a little patience once your technique has become muscle memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭source

Also always with the grain, let your beard grow out for a few days and examine how it grows, your hair can grow in many different directions and shaving against it can cause irritation.

For example I have one portion of my neck that has hair growing in 4 different directions, think of a +. In until I figured it out I was getting terrible razor burn in that location.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,970 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

For me the angle and letting the weight of the head do the work sees the best results.
    Brush and a cream as well. Still give myself the odd nicks though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Map your facial hair growth, it'll grow in all different directions.
    No pressure on the razor, at all. This is especially important on the neck.
    Decent brush and soap. Let the brush soak for a few mins to soften the bristles and soak up water.
    Sample pack of blades to see what agrees with your face and what doesn't. Tryablade.com are great for this as you can pick your own.
    Learn proper shaving technique. Angle, pressure etc.
    Learn proper lathering technique, this is as important as shaving.
    Don't go back over an area that has no soap on it, surefire way to get razorburn.
    Alum block or decent aftershave balm. I use the Nivea sensitive stuff.
    Go slow til you get the hang of it properly. Took me nearly a year to get a decent consistent shave.

Extra tip that might not work for everyone, I have a shower first to soften the stubble up.
    Also look at trying cold vs hot for shaving. Some people fair better with cold water, some with hot.

Always start with the grain, then you can do across and against last.

I've possibly forgotten something but that should be the bulk of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Extra tip that might not work for everyone, I have a shower first to soften the stubble up.
    I don't do that, but from my personal experience, if I get shaved anytime of the day except just after I wake up, it is much worse. And this was the case before DE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Wizard! wrote: »
    I don't do that, but from my personal experience, if I get shaved anytime of the day except just after I wake up, it is much worse. And this was the case before DE.

I do the reverse of what's recommend because I like to be able to make a mess so I shave and then hop in the shower after. A hot water splash or, seriously, if you've never tried it, a hot towel really makes a difference and is so luxurious. In fact, I haven't done a hot towel shave in years and should really start up again as a weekend treat!

A bit of advice I've repeated a good few times is beginners often bite off more than they can chew. Learning how to best use a safety razor and finding a good blade is plenty on your plate. So throwing in shaving soap/corap/cream, mug or face lathering, and type of brush can sink a good start. Don't feel you must use shaving soap and a brush, despite its benefits, at the start. Tinned goo is absolutely fine for a couple of weeks to get comfortable with your razor first. I found that learning to whip up a good lather was much a harder skill to master than learning a safety razor. One reason was I thought I was spending so much (35 quid) on a razor I wasn't prepared to spend double or triple that to get a good brush and got a crappy, wimpy Muhle which just flopped over in the face of hard soaps. So, not to belabour the point, if you're learning to lather with a brush and not whipping up a thick yogurt than that can be as much at fault as the razor or blade. Also, don't be afraid to practice lathering in a bowl, on your palm, or on your face and throwing it out until you start mastering that skill as well.

Don't feel you must use shaving soap and a brush, despite its benefits, at the start.
    Sound... I will leave them in the shopping cart for a bit more :o

Today I tried a new shave, I only shave once a week even with the cartridges, to avoid irritation.

What I did different:
    Used one of the Astras I got
    Was very careful to maintain correct angle, although I was closer to 10 degrees than 30.
    Didn't apply any pressure, just razor 's weight
    Followed carefully hair direction, except around Adam's Apple, because they are random...
    Did a second pass while reapllying soap.

The results were much better!
    Not baby face, not perfect, but no cutting and no rashing.

Thank you all for your input and suggestions. I guess I have lot to learn!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭source

Today I tried a new shave, I only shave once a week even with the cartridges, to avoid irritation.

What I did different:
    Used one of the Astras I got
    Was very careful to maintain correct angle, although I was closer to 10 degrees than 30.
    Didn't apply any pressure, just razor 's weight
    Followed carefully hair direction, except around Adam's Apple, because they are random...
    Did a second pass while reapllying soap.

The results were much better!
    Not baby face, not perfect, but no cutting and no rushing.

Thank you all for your input and suggestions. I guess I have lot to learn!

Delighted to hear its working better for you. The shave will become cleaner with more experience. For the blade angle of you put the razor 90° to your face and then reduce the angle until the blade is touching your skin, that'll be the perfect angle for shaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Dramatik

...The results were much better!
    Not baby face, not perfect, but no cutting and no rushing...

Great to hear you are getting better results now

• Advertisement

Good to hear you're getting a better shave, you'll get a really good one once you figure out what way the hair grows and that. Hair on my neck grows 4 or 5 different ways it's a pain in the hole to do.
    Were you not reapplying shaving goo between passes? That could be why you were getting ripped up.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Were you not reapplying shaving goo between passes? That could be why you were getting ripped up.
    I didn't need to do a second pass with the cartridges. And when I first used the DE, I was doing multiple pass at once, I wasn't aware that it is normal practice to do second or third pass.

Aha, yeah it's a bit of a different way of shaving. That one thing will probably improve your shave no end.
    Reapply after each pass and you should have a much better experience.
    Someone explained it to me as DE shaving being about hair reduction, rather than removal. As in you reduce it with each pass, with the final against the grain pass getting you that baby smooth shave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Rosahane

I think you will get a much better shaving experience with proper shaving soap and brush compared to the canned stuff. The act of brushing in the soap helps to soften the bristles and provides glide for the blade.

There is a small learning curve in producing the perfect lather but it needn't be expensive or difficult to master. You could start by using a shaving stick such as the Palmolive (available in Tesco and chemists) by wetting it in warm water, rubbing onto your wet face and lathering up vigorously with a brush which will really soften the bristles and leave enough soap on the brush for at least another pass.

Hey, it is me again!

So far, so good. Have been trying few razors from the sampler.
    Astra looks best for now, didn't really like Timor, 7 o'clock super, but I still have to try Shark Feather blue ans 7 o'clock sharp.

Meanwhile my shaving cream is nearly gone, so I am planning to get a proper one with a brush and bowl (along with the Alum block that was suggested).

Can you suggest what to buy, so I don't have to re-buy the proper ones later...? :o
    Preferably from shaving.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Confused11811

LEA shaving cream - https://www.ebay.ie/itm/LEA-Profesional-Shaving-Cream-Tube-250g/233392900733 . It's my favorite cream. Followed by Proraso Sensitive cream (available on shaving.ie)

I'm ran out both and working my way some palmolive original cream which I also like, but I'll switch back to the LEA one when I'm done with the palmolive. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B016DTUU5G

I'm a fan of the tubes of cream, not a fan of the sticks or the bowls, just a personal preference.

Osma alum block (available on shaving.ie)

I recommend a pre-shave cream too. I love Proraso sentitive pre shave. https://www.shaving.ie/products/proraso-pre-shave-cream-green-tea-oat.html.

If using shaving.ie don't forget to use the promo code "boards.ie"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

There is a lot to choose from.

I prefer soaps to creams. this is my all time favorite, https://www.giftsandcare.com/en/shaving-soaps/8060-stirling-soap-co-shaving-soap-baker-street-170ml.html love the performance and the scent but, each to their own.

Brushes, how much do you want to spend? This is an excellent boar brush at a good price, https://www.giftsandcare.com/en/boar-shaving-brushes/987-brocha-de-afeitar-cerda-semogue-soc-ceniza.html. With a badger, I'd go with a Simpsons or Thater, https://www.shaving.ie/badger/

I'v bought bowls and mugs in the past but don't use them now. I Just load up the brush.

Advertisement