Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Paramedic training location 2020

Options
  • 05-09-2020 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm interested in becoming a paramedic. I've been in touch with the NAS to ask a few questions too.

My main question is the location. Ballinasloe or Tallaght and they said that you wouldn't get to choose which, you're allocated one or the other. Is this actually so? I live in Cork. So it looks like I'd have to relocate for 2 years?
    Is there another way to train as a paramedic?

My other question is experience and prior knowledge neither of which I have really.

Do I need to do the level 5 EMT course to be considered for a place on paramedic training course?

Do I need to do EMT training for same as above?

Final question is whether or not it is possible to work to keep paying my mortgage, bills etc. during the course.

If anyone has any experience/ knowledge of current situation that would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Af1493

pegdrums wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I'm interested in becoming a paramedic. I've been in touch with the NAS to ask a few questions too.

My main question is the location. Ballinasloe or Tallaght and they said that you wouldn't get to choose which, you're allocated one or the other. Is this actually so? I live in Cork. So it looks like I'd have to relocate for 2 years?
    Is there another way to train as a paramedic?

My other question is experience and prior knowledge neither of which I have really.

Do I need to do the level 5 EMT course to be considered for a place on paramedic training course?

Do I need to do EMT training for same as above?

Final question is whether or not it is possible to work to keep paying my mortgage, bills etc. during the course.

If anyone has any experience/ knowledge of current situation that would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

So I believe the process is that once you pass the application stage and interview, you get placed on a panel in order of how well you done.

Calls for training then sent out for either Ballinasloe or Tallaght and you express your interest in Whatever one you'd prefer.

Most people rent in the area while training or some nearby hotels offer discounts to student paramedics. Training is full time and paid so no need to work while you train.

Joining your local voluntary ambulance service will give you a huge insight into the job and also connect you with people who may be in the service already or also attempting to pursue a job with the national ambulance service who will have all the info you need.

You do not need to do the emt course to start the student paramedic program as long as you meet the educational requirements and have a category c1 driving licence.
    Hope I've cleared things up a bit for you.
    Maybe have a look on the national ambulance service web site too, best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭pegdrums

Af1493 wrote: »
    So I believe the process is that once you pass the application stage and interview, you get placed on a panel in order of how well you done.

Calls for training then sent out for either Ballinasloe or Tallaght and you express your interest in Whatever one you'd prefer.

Most people rent in the area while training or some nearby hotels offer discounts to student paramedics. Training is full time and paid so no need to work while you train.

Joining your local voluntary ambulance service will give you a huge insight into the job and also connect you with people who may be in the service already or also attempting to pursue a job with the national ambulance service who will have all the info you need.

You do not need to do the emt course to start the student paramedic program as long as you meet the educational requirements and have a category c1 driving licence.
    Hope I've cleared things up a bit for you.
    Maybe have a look on the national ambulance service web site too, best of luck.

Thanks so much for your reply.

I have been in touch with the national ambulance service college.

I'm a little clearer but still a but confused about some things.

Firstly, am I right in thinking there is only one official training source to become a student paramedic and that is the nasc? Reason I ask is there is also the Irish college of paramedics and then there are the university courses.

Secondly, a student paramedic is payed around €25k a year. That is with the nasc / h.s.e as far as I know. The 3 year course in U.C.C has the course fees waived but it doesn't say if the students are paid or not (I doubt it somehow). Do you reckon they are? I'm still waiting on a reply from U.C.C.

Thirdly. the academic requirements. I don't meet them. The only way I could be considered would be with a suitable level 5 course or 2 years experience as an EMT.
    -Which of these 2 routes would lend itself to better a successful application to the student paramedic course? The course is one year.

Lastly (sorry!), I've seen the term recruitment used for student paramedics. Does that mean that student paramedics are recruited in batches when they are needed or are applications open all the time?

I have also applied to St. Johns Ambulance and the Civil Defence in order to gain some experience, training and insight.

Many thanks again for reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mr cowen

DFB are also an official source for training as a paramedic and I think some of the privates ambulance services have accreditation.

mr cowen wrote: »
    DFB are also an official source for training as a paramedic and I think some of the privates ambulance services have accreditation.

Thanks for your response.
    I knew the privates had emt's i didn't know they had full blown paramedics. Interesting.

Does anyone know about intermediate care operatives? Once emt status is obtained how does the training work?
    Its my plan b.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Thanks for your response.
    I knew the privates had emt's i didn't know they had full blown paramedics. Interesting.

Does anyone know about intermediate care operatives? Once emt status is obtained how does the training work?
    Its my plan b.

The HSE/NAS recruit for ICOs now and again. You do have to have your EMT qualification in place before you apply (plus your driving licence). You do not need 5 leaving cert passes (as the Paras do).
    As the medical training is already in place, the NAS 'training' is really just an induction. There is 2 weeks of that, and then 3 weeks of emergency driving training, then you are sent to your base! You are paid from day 1 of training.

Some other stuff (just to help make informed decision)
    ICOs do not do night shifts. Some of their shifts have early /late starts, but no bona fide 'nights'. Each station will have their own favour.
    When ICOs are being recruited by NAS , it is often for a specific area, ie South, or Mid West, or sometimes even a specific town / city. If you like the area / city offered, then you apply, and thats where you are sent after training is complete. Paras dont have this luxury. They can be sent to any base on the island.
    ICOs do get some 999 calls. When the situations are just right. Some bases / regions get more / less than others.

I love the ICOs.... but I'm biased! :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

....plus....

There are many ICOs that go on to be Paramedics. It can be a great way to get to know the ropes first. Learn ambulance / hospital / radio procedure, and get exposure to calls, treatment, paramedic, etc. Then when you go on to Para, you are just learning the new drugs, treatment, etc. Its not all new.

On the down side, if your application for Para is successful, you have to quit as an ICO and start at the bottom of the pay scale again. The longer you leave it, the bigger the drop in wages.
    But.....if you do become a Para after being an ICO, your official start date with NAS is still the ICO start date (your lenght of service is when you started training as ICO). This becomes VERY important when you are a new Paramedic and looking for transfer to a base. Seniority is determined by start-date.

thanks for the info it's been really helpful. I'm trying to get as much info from as many sources as possible.

I think if I had come to this career conclusion 10 or 15 years ago I would go the route of the paramedic. However I'm 38 now, mortgaged and married, dog 2 cats and talk of small feet to come. With this set of circumstances I think realistically the ICO would be the more manageable route. The possibility of being stationed anywhere wouldn't be favourable really. Her folks are in France and all my family are in Meath so we'd be flying solo.

On a side note I am looking to join Irish Red Cross or Civil Defence to gain some first hand experience. Are there pros or cons to either?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Red Dwarf

On a side note I am looking to join Irish Red Cross or Civil Defence to gain some first hand experience. Are there pros or cons to either?

Depends on where you are located? Some RC branches are very busy and provide a lot of training others not. As with CD some counties are focused on ambulance/casualty while others are rescue boats, AFS etc.

Don't forget Order of Malta and St. John Ambulance, again some areas a more active than others. My advice would be to contact the orgs in your area and see which one fits you best, re: ethos, training opportunities, how active etc. All voluntary orgs are looking for members who are willing to get involved and give something back. If you are just after an EMT cert, it would be quicker (also more expensive) to go with a private training company. Best of luck!

Cheers. Looked into Order of Malta and St. Johns, CD or RC suit my ethos better. Need to contact each to find out more about training opportunities and how active they are. See that RC do a lot of work in the community on a regular basis while also responding to emergencies and attending public events. I'm not sure how much CD do in the way of ongoing community work as they seem to be more focussed on emergency response but I may be wrong.

Advertisement