Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which extractor?

• 14-07-2020 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

This will be my first year taking some honey from my hive.
    I know I could get the use of a friend's equipment but I do prefer to be self sufficient.
    At most (this year) I'll have 2 (national) supers to extract and my budget isn't unlimited.
    The choice of extractors is mind boggling!
    Manual vs electric? Tangential vs radial? Plastic vs steel? Table top vs floor?
    I'm drawn to manual as it feels more "authentic" (and long-lasting)?! But will the novelty soon wear off?!
    Pros and cons and advice from those of you who have used various types would be welcome.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭victor8600

I used both manual and electric radial honey floor extractors. Basically, plastic barrels with steel frame holders. For extracting a few supers, manual is just fine. I would spend more time uncapping frames than spinning them.

Table top is a strange idea, unless you can bolt the extractor to a table.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Mellifera

Also have a manual... old beekeeper was offloading some gear. Agree with Victor, you spend more time preparing than spinning and manual is fine for small numbers. No idea of difference between radial and tangential. Mine is radial and works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Hillybilly4

Update. I have bought a Saf Natura (Italian) manual, tangential 4 frame extractor.
    Not the cheapest but figured buying cheap and cheerful Chinese would be a false economy.
    It arrived yesterday and looks to be well made and robust. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Where did you get it from?

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Hillybilly4

Dingle Beekeeping Supplies.
    For whatever reason, their website doesn't say they're Saf Natura extractors...but they are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement