Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cleaning leather gauntlets

Options
  • 14-04-2020 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭

Hi All
    I had a nice visit to my two colonies and did a good bit of tidying up. I got a bit messy, pulling ivy and weeds etc and cleaning off a good bit of brace comb (I promise to be a more regular inspector!), so now my suit is in a hot wash but I'm not sure what to do with my nice leather gauntlets.
    Hand wash in cool water?
    What do you do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

I threw them away. They're disease-spreaders and almost zero sensitivity - you can't feel the bees. I've completely gone over to latex gloves now: the bees usually don't sting them, and they protect from propolis and general stickiness and, importantly, I can scrub them between hives to hugely reduce carrying anything between hives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭victor8600

I use either disposable latex gloves, or household cleaning gloves if I do something that would upset bees more than the usual inspection. I have not thrown the leather gauntlets I got as a beginner away -- they are useful when cutting brambles and for other similar jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,236 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Use gloves I got for handling farm chemicals, like thicker marigolds, easy to eash between each hive.

Will try latex this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

Quick fix for leather gloves
    Having had a hole develop in the thumb of my glove
    This is the fix I came up with; works well
    And will get another season out of them

• Registered Users Posts: 13,236 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

bpmurray wrote: »
    I threw them away. They're disease-spreaders and almost zero sensitivity - you can't feel the bees. I've completely gone over to latex gloves now: the bees usually don't sting them, and they protect from propolis and general stickiness and, importantly, I can scrub them between hives to hugely reduce carrying anything between hives.

Marigolds, lighter gloves etc, the bees don't sting them.

People are often apprehensive about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Rougebladez

Yellow or Light blue Marigolds.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Flipperdipper

Next time you're passing a farm supply shop go in and get a box of blue nitrile gloves that farmers use for milking. Cheap and cheerful, the bees don't attack them anything like the leather ones and when you can't clean them any more just grab a fresh pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Rougebladez

If you need to wash the heavy gloves I've been told to use Soda Crystals on my course.

Advertisement