Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is this wasp nest?

Options
  • 20-07-2019 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

I'm not a beekeeper so apologies for gatecrashing this forum.
    I found this in my shed.
    It's beautiful!

I don't know what it is and I can't find a close image on Google - so where better to ask that here?

I don't think it's a bee 'thing' - maybe a wasp 'thing'.

Tried googling it by photo but can't find a match. So I came to where the beekeepers hangout.

It's about the size of a cherry tomato. Beige colour; a centre hexagonal cell and six hexagonal cells attached; total 7 cells. Brand new now (mid July) and all cells are capped.

Any info or pointers to where I should go?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

A hornet nest?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

It is a wasp nest but empty by the looks of it , normally it only has a small hole entrance at the bottom. The wasps make it by chewing wood and use the mixture to build the nest. Cool pieces of engineering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭victor8600

It is a wasp nest. You can leave it until the autumn and remove then when all wasps are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Yes, wasp and yes, cool engineering.
    Looks like this one is empty. Just cut it off with gently with a blade and keep it for show 'n' tell.
    I don't know the process but it seems to me that as the nest expands the shell around it is constantly getting rebuilt. The amount of work involved is amazing and can also get to a significant size. One in the attic of my house (before I moved in) looks like it was at least 60cms or more diameter.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭coolclogher

ea9a5548-3b20-413a-b690-fd36ccd8b4db.JPG

Hi Folks,

Found this yesterday in the attic, I assume its a wasp's nest. Is it safe to remove and how would one do it. Any help greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Yes, it's a wasp's nest. If you don't remove it, it will deter any wasp queens from setting up a new nest so it's actually best to leave it as it is. It certainly won't harm anything.

If you really want to remove it, just cut it down - it's made from paper so it's really easy to remove.

bpmurray wrote: »
    Yes, it's a wasp's nest. If you don't remove it, it will deter any wasp queens from setting up a new nest so it's actually best to leave it as it is. It certainly won't harm anything.

If you really want to remove it, just cut it down - it's made from paper so it's really easy to remove.

Many thanks Op are they generally that size, I thought it was very big?

Many thanks Op are they generally that size, I thought it was very big?

That's reasonably large but they can be much, much bigger than that in a good year. Last summer started early (the queens were out & about in early March) and was quite warm so they thrived. They actually killed a bunch of my hives - huge clouds of the things constantly attacking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I've seen nests like that in attics that survive through winter. I'd be wary of touching it until you confirm it's empty.

Effects wrote: »
    I've seen nests like that in attics that survive through winter. I'd be wary of touching it until you confirm it's empty.

How would I confirm its empty?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Use a very long stick :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭Mech1

Ever hear of a 10ft Barge Pole?

You can confirm the old saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

How would I confirm its empty?

As above, knock it with a stick from a distance. Have your retreat route planned.

Effects wrote: »

That's rather exceptional. The workers and drones die off in late autumn/early winter and only the queen survives, hibernating in crevices. If you really have encountered a live nest after winter sets in, that's really important scientific information and should be shared with those doing research in that area.

Advertisement