Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is this normal with Spiritual People

• 05-01-2020 12:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

Hi, recently broke up with my partner. They were big into spirituality like meditation, bio energy, chakras, crystals, psychics, past life regression... I'm not very spiritual myself but don't really pass judgement on anyone else's beliefs. It was however a major issue in our relationship. Many times we'd talk about general stuff and I'd be told I just didn't understand as I hadn't got an overall view of things as I wasn't spiritual. It eventually became a major issue and it was clear my partner held it against me that I wasn't spiritual and it was said a few times that we couldn't fully connect as a result. In the end I think it was one of the reasons we broke up. Is this the norm with spiritual people? It was the exact opposite of what I expected.

thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Hi, recently broke up with my partner. They were big into spirituality like meditation, bio energy, chakras, crystals, psychics, past life regression... I'm not very spiritual myself but don't really pass judgement on anyone else's beliefs. It was however a major issue in our relationship. Many times we'd talk about general stuff and I'd be told I just didn't understand as I hadn't got an overall view of things as I wasn't spiritual. It eventually became a major issue and it was clear my partner held it against me that I wasn't spiritual and it was said a few times that we couldn't fully connect as a result. In the end I think it was one of the reasons we broke up. Is this the norm with spiritual people? It was the exact opposite of what I expected.

thanks.

I would say that it is common enough for people who have invested in any belief system that doesn't bear close scrutiny to retaliate with the "you just don't get it!" line of argument. This could be a spiritual thing but it could also be as simple as liking a music band, and happens when people confuse subjective belief with objective fact. For example saying "this is a great band" (objective) when the truth is closer to "i really like this band" (subjective). There's more to fact than wanting something to be true and those heavily invested in spirituality, religion, homeopathy, faith healing, crystals, chakras, etc... commonly fall foul of this.

Just my 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Rigsby

H Is this the norm with spiritual people?

In my opinion ...no. I think you are more spiritual than you give yourself credit for...certainly more so than your "spiritual" ex partner. A spiritual person would not be judgemental (as with yourself), but would accept people and situations in a neutral way. If your ex partner brought their meditation practice away from the cushion and into everyday life, they would be able (or at least..willing) to accept and embrace moment to moment situations as they arise.

As with lots of things in life..it's easy to talk the talk...less so to implement them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Yeah nuts people will come up with nuts arguments.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 UB Dude

Hi,
    Genuine spiritual progress is marked by growing tolerance, patience, kindness, love, and humility. Your ex appears more confused than enlightened. Bitter though the lesson may be, she has done you a favour.

Regards
    B

Advertisement