Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Order of malta or Red Cross

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

I just might do that! What unit is it? Maybe we should move this to PM...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Anyone here know anything about harolds cross OMAC? Size, equipment, how active they are or what kind of events they cover?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭bk1991

Depends on what your after but as far as i know and im from athlone and a voulenteer . irc and omac do the excat same thing , some will say that one or the other has higher level of training and if you go into detail one organisation not mentioning which has more advanced instructors trained for in house training , Its a mather of opinion at the end of the day ..

• Registered Users Posts: 21 trishamcm

Join the Civil Defence....
    Red Cross in my area and they are always fund raising and it takes up alot of time that you could be learning. I have my CFR ,OFA and manual handling done all for free as well as a uniform!!
    Love every minute

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ry7704ng

been a red cross member for three years and am very familiar with the order of malta, generally they do the same work but training is slightly different, in red cross you do your practical first aid course first thing, then CFR C then intermediate first aid then EFR, CFR A then eventually EMT which is all free, where as order of malta tend to go FAR, EFR, EMT. the paramedic course is not taught by either, the only way to get to this level is by the NAS college, DFB, or going to the UK. but EMT is very similar to paramedic. generally with red cross after you join and get your membership you'll get your practical first aid then go on duty to everything from a football match to electric picnic. you may also be called to do patient transfer work from hospital to hospital, this is not only rare but usually left to EMTs. there is also the driver course which can be attended by anyone over 25 with a c1 license and u learn about how to operate the ambulance while driving as well as how to behave with blue lights activated. order of malta do similar but it depends on your unit, now all the voluntaries have TETRA radios too so youll get that training too. some may also run community first response groups that respond to high level emergency calls in their spare time.all in all it looks great on the CV, hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭searescue

ry7704ng wrote: »
    been a red cross member for three years and am very familiar with the order of malta, generally they do the same work but training is slightly different, in red cross you do your practical first aid course first thing, then CFR C then intermediate first aid then EFR, CFR A then eventually EMT which is all free, where as order of malta tend to go FAR, EFR, EMT. the paramedic course is not taught by either, the only way to get to this level is by the NAS college, DFB, or going to the UK. but EMT is very similar to paramedic. generally with red cross after you join and get your membership you'll get your practical first aid then go on duty to everything from a football match to electric picnic. you may also be called to do patient transfer work from hospital to hospital, this is not only rare but usually left to EMTs. there is also the driver course which can be attended by anyone over 25 with a c1 license and u learn about how to operate the ambulance while driving as well as how to behave with blue lights activated. order of malta do similar but it depends on your unit, now all the voluntaries have TETRA radios too so youll get that training too. some may also run community first response groups that respond to high level emergency calls in their spare time.all in all it looks great on the CV, hope this helps

Good point but I must point out having done the EMT and paramedic course. They are very different. 28 out of 32 in my class were already EMT's and any one of them will tell you there is a very big jump. Keep up the voluntary work :)

Advertisement