Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How will schools be able to go back in September? (Continued)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭abacus120

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    The 5th is a Saturday

Apologies all students will be back on the 4th of september

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

s1ippy wrote: »
    Love how that's what you took from the links I posted but have a look at the last Lancet link.

Wow, did your job deduct earnings from you when your children were at home? That's actually discrimination based on family status and you could take a case with the LRC.

No when I was working but then I pay myself even when I'm posting here. However I couldn't do my full time job and full time educate my kids. One of them would have to suffer so I might have to apply to myself for lower working hours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/middle-east/when-covid-subsided-israel-reopened-its-schools-it-didn-t-go-well-1.4321658

They plan on completely overhauling their system, which is basically the same system Irish schools are attempting, because their cases skyrocketed when they reopened. Let me know if it's behind a paywall and anyone needs the text copied here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

abacus120 wrote: »

What was the original date they were meant to be back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

We're back the 1st of September, haven't heard any specifics regarding the new arrangements but only 4 weeks to go so hopefully soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,002 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

HerrKuehn wrote: »
    Take a look at the DES guidelines for reopening, they cover wasps flying into the classroom. It was one of the first things agreed on.

This made me laugh way more than it should have had.

What was the original date they were meant to be back?

The 24th of august

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

The 24th of august

Any mention if they are going to make up the days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

niallo27 wrote: »

I heard they designed a poster with pictures and all to show what to do in the event of a wasp/class infringement :pac::pac:

It's not yet known if wasp spray and fly swatters will be covered under the spending budget.

Any mention if they are going to make up the days?

No nothing in the email bar the starting datses for each year
    I wouldnt expect they will be making up any time,how would they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

No nothing in the email bar the starting datses for each year
    I wouldnt expect they will be making up any time,how would they?

They can shorten the easter holidays by 3 days in the first week if they need too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

niallo27 wrote: »

You do realise what happens when a wasp flies into a room with 30 children?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

Said this on the main thread but prob more relevant here.

Heard Mike Ryan of the WHO on RTE this morning stating that children aged 10+ are as significant a risk of spreading as adults. I may have missed it but I don't think I've heard the WHO agree with this position before. He also sounded pretty concerned about long term health effects on children that hadn't seemingly gotten sick, mentioned hearts.

So, again, very concerned the Department aren't paying attention to current science and basing their decisions on all the older evidence, and our schools will be at risk from the slow position shifting of the WHO and NPHET.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

the corpo wrote: »

So, again, very concerned the Department aren't paying attention to current science and basing their decisions on all the older evidence, and our schools will be at risk from the slow position shifting of the WHO and NPHET.

Are you saying they shouldn't be reopening schools at all in light of current science?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Said this on the main thread but prob more relevant here.

Heard Mike Ryan of the WHO on RTE this morning stating that children aged 10+ are as significant a risk of spreading as adults. I may have missed it but I don't think I've heard the WHO agree with this position before. He also sounded pretty concerned about long term health effects on children that hadn't seemingly gotten sick, mentioned hearts.

if only the WHO and NPHET had a school teacher or an electrician to interpret the science for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/04/world/middleeast/coronavirus-israel-schools-reopen.html

Experience in Israel where one school was a focus of a large cluster

"The lesson, experts say, is that even communities that have gotten the spread of the virus under control need to take strict precautions when reopening schools. Smaller classes, mask wearing, keeping desks six feet apart and providing adequate ventilation, they say, are likely to be crucial until a vaccine is available."

Are you saying they shouldn't be reopening schools at all in light of current science?

I think a full re-opening with full attendance is madness, with our class sizes and poor infrastructure. Virtually nowhere else has attempted this, re-openings were staggered, smaller class sizes, better social distancing requirements, better buildings etc.

My kids primary school is in an old secondary convent school. The only ventilation option is to wedge open old sash windows. When the rain is coming in the windows sideways during the winter the class will have to close, or else give the kids wetsuits and armbands.

Should have started small and ramped it up as the schools learn to cope with the measures. Give the schools a proper chance to sort accommodation problems and hire staff, when they can see in practice what they'll need to make the situation sustainable.

I think we're massively running the risk of a full reopening leading to a full shutdown very quickly after. And I don't blame the teachers/unions etc for this, it's embarrassing as a nation that we're facing such a difficult task to reopen, but it lies squarely at the consistent failure of previous Governments to invest in our children...

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

I think a full re-opening with full attendance is madness, with our class sizes and poor infrastructure. Virtually nowhere else has attempted this, re-openings were staggered, smaller class sizes, better social distancing requirements, better buildings etc.

My kids primary school is in an old secondary convent school. The only ventilation option is to wedge open old sash windows. When the rain is coming in the windows sideways during the winter the class will have to close, or else give the kids wetsuits and armbands.

Should have started small and ramped it up as the schools learn to cope with the measures. Give the schools a proper chance to sort accommodation problems and hire staff, when they can see in practice what they'll need to make the situation sustainable.

I think we're massively running the risk of a full reopening leading to a full shutdown very quickly after. And I don't blame the teachers/unions etc for this, it's embarrassing as a nation that we're facing such a difficult task to reopen, but it lies squarely at the consistent failure of previous Governments to invest in our children...

If you are unhappy about sending your children back to school, then don't.
    I am at work for a number of weeks and we have had no problems.
    Covid deaths are at practically zero countrywide.
    Total deaths are now running at lower levels than this time last year.

We need to get on with things. I don't think sending the children back to school is a major risk. Of course it is a small risk but so is crossing the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Is it even possible for most Irish schools to do this, given the infrastructure constraints?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

Is it even possible for most Irish schools to do this, given the infrastructure constraints?

The can use additional spaces for instance the local community hall or a marquee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,521 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The can use additional spaces for instance the local community hall or a marquee

You mean that shít "tent" you linked to?

No, no they can't.

Boggles wrote: »
    You mean that shít "tent" you linked to?

No, no they can't.
    Why not?
    It wont matter to you, you'll be at home homeschooling the child.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,521 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Why not?

Because you can't stick people in shít tents and pretend they are class rooms.

It wont matter to you, you'll be at home homeschooling the child.

Really?

News to me.

Boggles wrote: »
    Because you can't stick people in shít tents and pretend they are class rooms.

Really?

News to me.

So what do we do? We all stay at home crying?

It was the other lad that plans on homeschooling, apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Conelan

There seems to be a divide appearing in the thread between those who just want the children out of the house and those who have some concern for the education they might get in the coming months. A marquee FFS!!

If you are unhappy about sending your children back to school, then don't.

If I don't think it's reasonably safe, of course I won't. Risk is acceptable, but a dangerous amount of risk isn't.

Conelan wrote: »
    There seems to be a divide appearing in the thread between those who just want the children out of the house and those who have some concern for the education they might get in the coming months. A marquee FFS!!

Then there the ones that have no interest or perhaps arent capable of adding to the conversation who can see 35 children in the room but no solutions.

Nothing can be done
    Nothing is possible
    We cant
    We wouldn't be able

No solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Conelan wrote: »

Marquees are great for social distancing, half the class inside and half outside holding that thing together.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Where will the staff come from ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Where will the staff come from ?

Don't forget that community hall could have an even worse wasp problem!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement