Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Covid 19 Part XX-26,644 in ROI (1,772 deaths) 6,064 in NI (556 deaths) (08/08)Read OP

Comments

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Proper order from your boss there to keep the rest of you safe. Fair play to them

Is that a rule for people who go to non Green List countries? Or is it enforced for any country they holiday in?

The corporate policy is 10 days isolation after any overseas travel. The Irish operations policy is to go with government guidelines if greater than 10 days and corporate guidelines otherwise. So anyone who was to take a trip to Malta for example would have to quarantine for 10 days.

They are also piloting PCR testing to bypass quarantine requirements.

cnocbui wrote: »
    I have seen a case of an American woman who was ill, got better, then got ill again.

Do you have a link as have yet to hear of such a case

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Arghus wrote: »
    Same where I work as well. Anyone who travels abroad is taking a two weeks without pay sabbatical when they return.

Is that legal? I can see why they'd do it but curious on legality, suppose if you have to quarantine for 2 weeks then you aren't fit for work..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Holidays are non essential travel. That has been clear from day one. Nothing underhand - they have been delivering this message for months .

I’m sure family visits abroad wouldn’t be seen as non essential, i would hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Holidays are non essential travel. That has been clear from day one. Nothing underhand - they have been delivering this message for months .

But they are not forbidding non-essential travel up front. They are, however, forbidding it through the loss of two weeks wages, preventing people from travelling. I think the entire cabinet has been reading Catch 22 the way they are communicating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

polesheep wrote: »
    But they are not forbidding non-essential travel up front. They are, however, forbidding it through the loss of two weeks wages, preventing people from travelling. I think the entire cabinet has been reading Catch 22 the way they are communicating.
    It makes sense. Why should the company pay someone who makes themselves unavailable to work throught their own actions?

I can't see the unions letting that go unchallenged tbh.

Since when has any union leader represented the members? Seriously, they play along until they get their feet under the table of a government quango.

pjohnson wrote: »
    It makes sense. Why should the company pay someone who makes themselves unavailable to work throught their own actions?

Would you be entitled to the Covid payment I wonder?

Travel to a green country does not require quarantine, so how are they unavailable?

Unions wouldnt be that stupid to try and let people have a 2 week paid holiday.

If you want to travel then do but accept the consequences of travel. Be an adult. If you want Holiday then budget for two weeks of no pay, if you cant afford it then don't go on holiday?

• Advertisement

If you want to travel then do but accept the consequences of travel. Be an adult. If you want Holiday then budget for two weeks of no pay, if you cant afford it then don't go on holiday?

It’s a different calculation if you’ve already paid for the holiday though

But, again, what if it is a green country?

It’s a different calculation if you’ve already paid for the holiday though

Not really.

Can you afford the two weeks without wages or not?

The holiday money is already spent from your balance. You need to decide if you can afford to miss 2 weeks wages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Since when has any union leader represented the members? Seriously, they play along until they get their feet under the table of a government quango.

Public sector unions are far more militant than their private sector counterparts.

Public sector unions are far more militant than their private sector counterparts.

When it was announced, one of the larger PS unions had no issue with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Eod100 wrote: »
    Public servants have been told the same even people already working at home.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40016498.html

The public servant rule makes no sense. You have to take 2 weeks leave or unpaid to isolate at home even if you normally work from home? Why stop you working? I'd understand if they had to attend the office obviously.

When it was announced, one of the larger PS unions had no issue with it.

There was no green list announced at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Gibraltar, Monaco and San Marino are in the green list, they must have missed Vatican city!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,664 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Do you have a link as have yet to hear of such a case

This isn't the one I was thinking of, but it will do. The other was more anecdotal so would have been derided automatically.
    Sherry Wellman, 56, of Youngstown, Ohio, and her doctors had assumed it would last longer than two months.

After an initial positive test for the virus in March, two additional COVID-19 tests in April were negative. It was welcome news to Wellman, whose job as a nurse required her to have two negative tests before returning to work.

But a month later, she had to go to the hospital for chest pains, and was tested again.

The physicians "ended up testing me for COVID just for the heck of it," Wellman said. "Sure enough, it came back positive. They were stunned."
    https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/i-cannot-get-again-it-possible-get-reinfected-coronavirus-n1233667

And her is another case: https://www.chiangraitimes.com/thailand-national-news/infected/
    A woman in Northeastern Thailand has been re-infected with the Covid-19 after having been cured of the virus in March. The woman, 38, had returned from overseas in March and was found to be infected with the Covid-19 coronavirus. She was admitted to Hospital in Bangkok and recovered, then decided to return to her hometown.

However, between April 3-5 she became sick again and went for a test. The result showed that her throat was infected with the Covid-19 Coronavirus, Asia One reports.

Thailand isn’t the only country experiencing this phenomenon, on Friday, South Korea reported that 91 coronavirus patients they believed to have recovered from Covid-19 tested positive for the virus again.

And another:
    Japanese woman reinfected with coronavirus weeks after initial recovery
    The woman, a resident of Osaka in western Japan, tested positive on Wednesday after developing a sore throat and chest pain, the prefectural government said in a statement, describing her as being in her 40s. She first tested positive in late January and was discharged from the hospital after recovering on Feb 1, according to the statement.

The health ministry confirmed the case was the first in Japan where a patient tested positive for coronavirus for a second time after being discharged from hospital, the Nikkei newspaper said.
    https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/japanese-woman-reinfected-with-coronavirus-weeks-after-initial-recovery

Strangely, it nearly always seems to be women.

Speak Now wrote: »
    Gibraltar, Monaco and San Marino are in the green list, they must have missed Vatican city!

For Monaco fly to Milan hire a car. For San Marino just go to Italy. Gibraltar other than a large rock and a few monkeys feck all there even in the non covid times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Nope. Some people wouldn't have any annual leave left. Therefore it will be two weeks at their own expense. Most people couldn't afford to lose two weeks wages, so they have no choice but to cancel their holiday and not travel. It's an underhanded way for the government to say "You cannot travel".

Yes, it'll be two weeks at their own expense, but it is still their decision. Holidays are not essential travel.

And they always have the option to holiday at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

cnocbui wrote: »
    This isn't the one I was thinking of, but it will do. The other was more anecdotal so would have been derided automatically.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/i-cannot-get-again-it-possible-get-reinfected-coronavirus-n1233667

And her is another case: https://www.chiangraitimes.com/thailand-national-news/infected/

And another:

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/japanese-woman-reinfected-with-coronavirus-weeks-after-initial-recovery

Strangely, it nearly always seems to be women.

I wouldn't bother finding sources, the argument will go from "there's no evidence" to "that's only a few cases out of millions" to "probably faulty tests" to "probably still recovering months later" argued by the same people that say "there's no evidence of long-term illness" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,630 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

The public servant rule makes no sense. You have to take 2 weeks leave or unpaid to isolate at home even if you normally work from home? Why stop you working? I'd understand if they had to attend the office obviously.

Only thing I can think of they're using as a deterrent or getting people to use up annual leave allowances so they don't carry them into next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

the green list is the dumbest idea i've seen yet.

"hey guys you really shouldn't travel but if you do, go to these places, they're great!"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,630 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

froog wrote: »
    the green list is the dumbest idea i've seen yet.

"hey guys you really shouldn't travel but if you do, go to these places, they're great!"

The way Donnelly was out explaining it, it sounded like they wanted tourists from those countries to visit Ireland and Irish people to stay here and spend their money. Trying to have their cake and eat it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Just half heard something on the news on an Irish radio station there

"Something something has increased 55% and is thought to be a worrying trend in Ireland"

Can anyone fill in the gaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Arghus wrote: »
    So fcking frustrating watching the news.

Showing clips of Richard Boyd Barrett banging on about confusion and how it's like a "set of traffic lights" with both the green light and the red light on at the same time.

No, it isn't. How does he not get it. The advice is clearly not to travel, but fortunately we live in a state where the government doesn't have the powers to keep us all on the island against our will, they can only advise. A green list isn't a signal to go on holidays to these countries. And then RTE compound it by talking about it as if it is. Why, why is there so much dumb?

Rte have behaved atrociously through out the pandemic, they have created the confusion on this issue and many others throughout -masks etc-. It seems they go for the lowest hanging fruit everytime, with little thought or care to the damage their cheap headlines, and gutter journalism, does to the publics interpretation of the disease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭Onesea

From accros the pond in the uk
    They've retracted their figures from 45k to 29k.

A death rate of 0.0024% by THEIR admission.

We still know that is a lie as their tests are flawed and STILL cannot isolate covid19 from the rest of the Corona family.

However, also by their own admission, only 1379 deaths without pre-existing conditions - out of a population of 57million!

Twice as many people die a year from falling over! Shall we just ban any movement at all?!

That's a death rate of 0.0001%. And we shut the world down.

Even more crazy is the death rate of under 60 with no pre-existing conditions which is 0.000006%

1 person in 41,000 people with no KNOWN underlying conditions has died of covid!

1 person in 138,000 under 60 has died of covid!

And that is even with their flawed tests and rigged results.

We have the whole world bending over to their tyranny when you are:

10 times MORE likely to fall down the stairs

25 times MORE likely to be hit by a car

327 time MORE likely to get food poisoning

You are only 10 times more likely to die from covid than be hit by lightning!

Hearing of the pubs breaching guidelines makes ya wonder what other rules these scuzzy places dont bother following?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,664 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Eod100 wrote: »
    The way Donnelly was out explaining it, it sounded like they wanted tourists from those countries to visit Ireland and Irish people to stay here and spend their money. Trying to have their cake and eat it

A bit like with VRT. The EU is supposed to be a common market, but don't worry, the Irish government won't let that minor detail get in their way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement