Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

'Concern' over distribution of LC Results

Options
  • 15-07-2020 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭

I'm not really seeing the problem here. Students can access their results online!

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/money/other/schools-express-concerns-over-distribution-of-leaving-cert-results/ar-BB16KMnq?ocid=BingHPC

There seems to be some inference that it would be tricky having the LC teachers around at the same time as the results were given to students.

I know this gets debated every year about 'being there for your students', but I would have thought this year, more than any other, was the time for said teachers to be as far removed from pupils as possible.

Are they trying to say in a nice way to students to 'not come into the school'.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

I always go to the school for students results. I'm one of only a handful of teachers that do it surprisingly. But as you said, this is certainly one year we shouldn't. It just doesn't sit right given the role we played on results this year. Another unfortunate happening from this bloody virus

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Its difficult. I've experienced a number of occasions over the years whereby a student is disappointed and takes out the blame there and then on whoever they can see. And that's in a regular year with a standard examination process.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

Does the vow of silence continue on until the appeals process is over?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I think the collecting results from school shouldn’t happen this year. The department should release them online and post them out. Taking away that role from schools this year. Schools can still provide support guidance re: options.

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    I think the collecting results from school shouldn’t happen this year. The department should release them online and post them out. Taking away that role from schools this year. Schools can still provide support guidance re: options.

What happens if a student asks a subject teacher for guidance on whether they should appeal or not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

I would usually go into the school if I had a leaving cert class, more to find out the results myself than to be there for the students, if I’m honest, but I’d usually be available for the students to talk to, if they need to. I definitely will not be in the school this year. 0% chance of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Rosita

I've gone in a couple of times over the years. Never quite understood the "supporting students" angle - when I was in that situation my teachers were the last people I wanted to meet. Also I'd have no way of knowing what time the students would be there anyway.

I'd have gone just to see results but this year what's the point either way. Just give them the results on-line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I’d normally go in to see the results myself but I definitely won’t do that on the day this year tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Would the schools be even open anyway?

Treppen wrote: »
    What happens if a student asks a subject teacher for guidance on whether they should appeal or not!

The warning from the department is still valid. They can’t ask for advice like that. They also need reminding that the overall calculated grade comes from the Department not the school.

• Advertisement

Rosita wrote: »
    I've gone in a couple of times over the years. Never quite understood the "supporting students" angle - when I was in that situation my teachers were the last people I wanted to meet. Also I'd have no way of knowing what time the students would be there anyway.

I'd have gone just to see results but this year what's the point either way. Just give them the results on-line.

Oh I only meant pastoral , guidance related support. I want my classes to well but I’m never there results day any year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Well we’ll all be in school now since they are delayed....

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭aratsarse101

They’ve only been delayed on legal advice. Avoids complications re duty of care. Advice was not to release during 2019/2020 school year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

They’ve only been delayed on legal advice. Avoids complications re duty of care. Advice was not to release during 2019/2020 school year.
    I'm being stupid obviously but what difference does it make to duty of care? In my experience, teachers don't turn their backs on students that need help with appeals or checking a paper, whichever school year it falls in.

And anyway, early/mid August would never have counted as being part of the academic year.

Well we’ll all be in school now since they are delayed....
    I’m wondering if we will, now. Surely, it doesn’t make sense to have schools open, going about their normal business, and the previous year’s leaving certs hanging around, looking for explanations of what happened to their grades, and possibly not doing so in a calm and polite manner?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Well before it would have been due to something concrete on their exam paper. The only thing they can appeal now is the calculated grade process, which is an administrative check. So unless the exam secretary entered marks incorrectly or didn't enter a mark at all, there isn't going to be a whole lot to appeal.

Having said that, it won't stop students appealing out of desperation. Many students seem to be under the impression that if they appeal they will more than likely be upgraded. I've gone and viewed scripts with students many times over the years and there's always one who is 4-5% off the next grade up, and I might find something small on the paper which is only worth 0.5-1%, and I tell them that it's not mathematically possible for them to improve and they still send it back.

See also 'They can't leave me on 89.5% brigade'. Why, yes, yes they can.

I'm sure this year it will be no different.

RealJohn wrote: »
    I’m wondering if we will, now. Surely, it doesn’t make sense to have schools open, going about their normal business, and the previous year’s leaving certs hanging around, looking for explanations of what happened to their grades, and possibly not doing so in a calm and polite manner?

Dept might release the grades early morning like happens with the CAO results. Most will login to get them and there would be far fewer going into school.

Dept might release the grades early morning like happens with the CAO results. Most will login to get them and there would be far fewer going into school.
    That won’t stop the ones looking for an explanation though.

You, as a teacher, find out a student was bumped 2 grade points, say from H2 to H4. (Apart from the fact the 'it could never happen' in the first place). Student might think it was down to you cos you hated them or whatever, so the student isn't thinking of appealing.

Would you do anything?

You, as a teacher, find out a student was bumped 2 grade points, say from H2 to H4. (Apart from the fact the 'it could never happen' in the first place). Student might think it was down to you cos you hated them or whatever, so the student isn't thinking of appealing.

Would you do anything?
    What can you do? “Sorry you’re disappointed, kiddo, but I can’t talk about the mark I gave you. All I can tell you is that I submitted a mark for you, and the SEC ran it through some process that hasn’t been revealed to us, and that result is what came out. It’s like a function in maths, only one where the function itself is a mystery, and I’m not allowed to tell you what the input was either.”
    Get one last maths lesson in.

• Advertisement

No that's true, but anyone who clears the normal range of points for their chosen course probably won't come near the school. Very hard to know how it will pan out.

Would you do anything?

But aren't they entitled to know what was submitted for them by the school if they appeal?

Taking your example, you give your student an 85. DES pulls it down to 65 and the above happens as you describe. Not much can be done about that. But what if there is an administrative error and whoever input the grades in your school input 65 by accident. You in good faith gave 85, and in this instance DES didn't change it because they don't know the 85 ever existed.

Presumably that is what the appeals process is actually for, to check for admin errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

But aren't they entitled to know what was submitted for them by the school if they appeal?

Taking your example, you give your student an 85. DES pulls it down to 65 and the above happens as you describe. Not much can be done about that. But what if there is an administrative error and whoever input the grades in your school input 65 by accident. You in good faith gave 85, and in this instance DES didn't change it because they don't know the 85 ever existed.

Presumably that is what the appeals process is actually for, to check for admin errors.

I asked principal your first question and the answer is yes. A student can put in a freedom of information request one month after the appeals process and all information including the grade you gave them is returned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Yes students can put in data access request and will receive Form A and redacted Form B which will show their rank in the class but everyone else blacked out.

But what is the advice for teachers when they are directly asked by a student what percentage they submitted, once results are released? Are they to say "sorry, I can't discuss it, submit a request for your data"? Or should they discuss it at that point and tell the student? What is to be considered best practice?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

I think this year more than ever teachers should be up front & centre for their students. The teachers have given the results so should be open & honest enough to talk with, and justify the marks given.

Anything else would be a cowardly display by the teachers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

daheff wrote: »
    I think this year more than ever teachers should be up front & centre for their students. The teachers have given the results so should be open & honest enough to talk with, and justify the marks given.

Anything else would be a cowardly display by the teachers.

It's not so simple as throwing around poorly informed insults. As it stands, teachers are forbidden from discussing it. There's currently no indication that will be changed. If it is they will likely have to follow school policy on it, if guidance from higher up is not issued.

And teachers have given a percentage mark. The result issued is not within their control. They have not given the results.

Does this sit well with anyone, Norma Foley's announcement today?
    "Over 450,000 individual grades have to be prepared and checked and the outcomes need to be reviewed using different demographic characteristics which will include gender and socio-economic status to ensure that the grades are as fair and equitable as possible."

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/7777b-minister-foley-announces-next-steps-for-this-years-leaving-certificate-students/

So not only will a schools' previous grades from previous students be influencing a particular student's final grade, but also gender and socio-economic status.

Is this turning into a political agenda tool?

Does this sit well with anyone, Norma Foley's announcement today?

So not only will a schools' previous grades from previous students be influencing a particular student's final grade, but also gender and socio-economic status.

Is this turning into a political agenda tool?

The stats for grades are broken down by gender and county every year on sec website. I presume this year will be no different and DES will run a check to see how they compare with previous year

The stats for grades are broken down by gender and county every year on sec website. I presume this year will be no different and DES will run a check to see how they compare with previous year

It's a very different thing to

1. Analyse completed grades after the process is over and release a breakdown according to gender and S-E status.

&

2. Alter grades according to gender and socio economic status before a final grade is awarded.

What I'm saying is that you can't reverse engineer a gender or S-E status into a grade. Yes, you can attempt to match it with previous school/subject results but gender etc. were never part of the deal, maybe they should look at race, religion, disability..etc. and factor them in too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

It's not so simple as throwing around poorly informed insults. As it stands, teachers are forbidden from discussing it. There's currently no indication that will be changed. If it is they will likely have to follow school policy on it, if guidance from higher up is not issued.

And teachers have given a percentage mark. The result issued is not within their control. They have not given the results.

So no reason for teachers not to turn up at the schools then??

Advertisement