Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

COVID-19: Vaccine/antidote and testing procedures Megathread [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭xElDeeX

Given its importance and I'd guess it has the best minds developing it as number one priority, how can it take so long? Genuinely curious, I know it needs human trials. Interested to see what the steps involved and the usual delays etc.

So when a drug is developed, it is tested first in very small numbers, usually in healthy male volunteers in phase 1 trials. These initial tests will gather some information on whether it works but but are more about checking if it is tolerated i.e. no immediately noticable side effects. Then you test in larger groups and various doses as the trial goes on - some at the eventual dosage level but also higher and lower to figure out how the drug responds to the body and the body to the drug. All the time you are gathering and analysing data to see if you have a good enough response and low enough side effects to continue.
    So imagine you are doing this but also have to test for every age group l, pregnant women and women of childbearing age, that are usually excluded from clinical trials. Also even if all well, it works and is safe you then need to grow enough vaccine to distribute to the whole world. Flu vaccine can grow in chicken eggs but coronavirus vaccine can't so the process is not in place to quickly get that up and running like if it was a variant of the seasonal flu.
    I'm by no means an expert but those are a few of the reasons why it takes a while.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,256 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 84,905 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Maestro85 wrote: »
    Thoughts on this.

https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=229893

American friend of mine told me today that this is going to be the new Hail Mary pass that will be talked about in the US like chloroquine.

TLDR: Anti-Parasite Drug Ivermectin Stunts COVID-19 Virus Culture in Lab Study

Ivermectin (for head lice) possible cure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

It's possible a vaccine could be rushed through again.

Swine flu was classed a pandemic of an April with a vaccine that November. 1 in 55,000 developed narcolepsy.

However I wouldn't be surprised seeing for this waved through too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

World's biggest trial of Covid-19 drugs starts in UK

Sarah Boseley Sarah Boseley
    The world’s biggest trial of drugs to treat Covid-19 patients has been set up in the UK at unprecedented speed, and hopes to have some answers within weeks.

The Recovery trial has recruited more than 5,000 patients in 165 NHS hospitals around the UK in a month, ahead of similar trials in the US and Europe, which have a few hundred.

“This is by far the largest trial in the world,” said Peter Horby, professor of emerging infectious diseases and global health at Oxford University, who is leading it. He has previously led Ebola drug trials in west Africa and the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).

The Recovery team expects to be the first to have definitive data. “We’re guessing some time in June we may get the results,” said Horby.

“If it is really clear that there are benefits, an answer will be available quicker.” But he warned that in the case of Covid-19, there would be no “magic bullet”.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/17/world-biggest-drug-trial-covid-19-uk

Website for this trial
    https://www.recoverytrial.net/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

No, as I don't believe there will be one until at least October 2021

Poll added

Personally, I'm not sure. It really depends on where we are in September with this thing. A rushed vaccine sounds risky

• Registered Users Posts: 13,236 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The first months of it will probably be just for over65s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

No, as I don't believe there will be one until at least October 2021

What would you base that on

• Advertisement

What would you base that on

Work in Pharma
    Any drug I've been involved in has at least 9 years development before it went to market
    With a rush job and corners cut maybe they could have one in 18 months.
    In reality I think it will he 5 years

In reality I think it will he 5 years

Jaysus. I don't like the sound of that, especially if you work in Pharma and have experience of this

So much money is being thrown at this though. And there's so, so much money Big Pharma will make on the vaccine. Doesn't that play a part in expediting this?

Last I checked (a few days ago) there was some 70 vaccine trials currently in play. There's probably more since

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,256 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Jaysus. I don't like the sound of that, especially if you work in Pharma and have experience of this

So much money is being thrown at this though. And there's so, so much money Big Pharma will make on the vaccine. Doesn't that play a part in expediting this?

Last I checked (a few days ago) there was some 70 vaccine trials currently in play. There's probably more since

The story of 70 vaccines in trial I find worrying,sounds like anyone with a lab is knocking one up.

UK starts trials start on THursday - the Uk gov is backing two possible vaccines to the combined sum of about 50 million quid - one Oxford, the other Imperial they are taking very different paths, one is an adapted simian virus (Oxford) while Imperial Collage is tweaking the Covid 19 to basically attack itself.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/oxford-university-coronavirus-vaccine-to-begin-human-trials-on-thursday-as-uk-throws-everything-at-vital-breakthrough-2020-04-21

https://twitter.com/imperialcollege/status/1252633575956119552

https://twitter.com/UniofOxford/status/1252675809128611846

https://covid19vaccinetrial.co.uk/about

This is a little disconcerting. I think we need to start hoping more for very effective treatment rather than a vaccine

"We've never made a successful vaccine for a coronavirus before. This is why it's so difficult"

https://amp.abc.net.au/article/12146616?fbclid=IwAR01dhqZCkmqdP094FFKKMC5GTwO31MUGwSmKeZ8sMHqdMB6-Hd_wBh-zMI

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I thought it might be useful to have a thread where we could track vaccine development. It's going to take a long time to complete trials and manufacture billions of doses, but at least when we know one works we'll also know the end of all this will be in sight.

I'd ask those of you who are sceptical of vaccines, or believe we'll never have a vaccine, to please leave this thread alone - there's lots more places for your views.

To get started, here's a great overview of where vaccines are currently at, who's making them, who they have partnered with, where they are along the clinical trial path:
    https://www.biocentury.com/article/305091

Merck CEO discusses the prospects for a vaccine

Pretty sure there is a thread already.

Moderna CEO says they could start manufacturing first doses in July.

• Advertisement

Scott Gottlieb has been one of the most accurate commentators throughout this crisis. He thinks the US will have a few million doses ready by Autumn, which could be used in an emergency.

hmmm wrote: »

I'd ask those of you who are sceptical of vaccines, or believe we'll never have a vaccine, to please leave this thread alone - there's lots more places for your views.

I'm afraid we need as much realism as we do positivity

Isn't there ample evidence that SARS 1 from 2003 didn't get a vaccine because of how complex the virus is?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I'm afraid we need as much realism as we do positivity

Isn't there ample evidence that SARS 1 from 2003 didn't get a vaccine because of how complex the virus is?

I think it was more down to sars being contained and no need for investment into a vaccine by then, but could be wrong. You’d hope some of the work could be transferable to this.

SARS various vaccine research programmes ended as there was no imperative to continue after it blew itself out. No money in jabs. We're paying for it now.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1150091

Moderna have received nearly 500 million dollars from the US government to produce a vaccine. The report starts off like the usual "scandal" type reporting, but then a professor from Harvard who is interviewed afterwards puts it all in perspective - it's an extraordinary time, and losing a few billion on vaccine bets will be worth it if it works.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Still no vaccine for the 2002 SARS so I would not use the this in your long term planning.

Funding for the SARS vaccine program was pulled when the virus was contained. I heard a virologist saying weeks ago that the Covid19 vaccine would be quicker if they had finished the SARS vaccine program and trials.

Funding for the SARS vaccine program was pulled when the virus was contained. I heard a virologist saying weeks ago that the Covid19 vaccine would be quicker if they had finished the SARS vaccine program and trials.
    Moderna were involved in developing the SARS vaccine, and have been so quick off the mark with COVID because they were able to re-use the technology and research they had developed.

https://www.fiercebiotech.com/biotech/pfizer-biontech-dose-first-u-s-subject-covid-19-vaccine
    Pfizer and BioNTech have begun dosing participants in a U.S. clinical trial of their COVID-19 vaccine candidates. The dose-escalation stage of the trial will enroll up to 360 subjects, initially out of sites in New York and Maryland.
    The U.S. clinical trial is studying four variants of the vaccine, code-named a1, b1, b2 and c2, to quickly determine which combination of mRNA format and target antigen holds the most promise. Pfizer and BioNTech are assessing candidates that contain uridine-containing mRNA, nucleoside-modified mRNA or self-amplifying mRNA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Good article about monoclonal antibody work going on:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/05/race-antibodies-stop-new-coronavirus#

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement