Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are you still using turf?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Of course not.

But I don't think we should be comparing the Dublin metropolitan areas or the hinterlands of Cork city with isolated rural settlements where people build houses in the front field, and draw turf from their own bogs. It's a completely different demographic.

I've just been looking up population changes in my own homeplace around Borrisokane and surrounding villages. They're either pretty much constant or falling.

Can't find anything on settlements smaller than 50 people ker sq km, but those are visibly shrinking in my experience.

These guys are seeking uniformity for their stats not the wondrously untamable exuberant reality of Ireland . we don;t fit into their rigid ideas

Ok I've changed my mind. Rural Ireland and our cities are prime examples and excellent planning that other countries should strive towards, and we should continue on as is. I'm going to sell my house and buy a mansion down the country and drive to work. Peace out.

why move? Stay where you prefer as we will do

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Graces7 wrote: »
    The same old idea of let us preserve the past as it was. Or as they think it was.
    Leave is as a sterile wasteland rather than the thriving and developing resource it is. a holiday resort not a living space

A wasteland is certainly an odd way of describing rural Ireland (proper rural Ireland that is, not the bits covered with mcmansions and poxy dormer houses).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

awec wrote: »
    A wasteland is certainly an odd way of describing rural Ireland (proper rural Ireland that is, not the bits covered with mcmansions and poxy dormer houses).

Am I to take it that the premise is a cut bog is better than an undisturbed thriving ecologically vibrant bog? Or that a spate of one off houses and sceptic tanks is preferable? A strange concept.

So we shouldn't preserve the wild flowers and fauna of the natural countryside in favour of stripped bogs and housing?

This thread has veered a long way from 'are you still using turf'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Well i haven't cut turf in years but with all these new taxes on oil and coal coming in to make Leo look good in Europe,It won't be long before i start cutting again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

So we shouldn't preserve the wild flowers and fauna of the natural countryside in favour of stripped bogs and housing?

No we should keep building ribbon development and one offs so people will be living there to preserve the countryside, or something

Am I to take it that the premises is a cut bog is better than an undisturbed thriving ecologically vibrant bog? Or that a spate of one off houses and sceptic tanks is preferable? A strange concept.

This thread has veered a long way from 'are you still using turf'.

This curious obsession with weighing up urban versus rural living is redundant. Discussion of declining population in specific parts of the countryside is a lament for another thread.

Back on topic, my grandmother's cottage was located on the fringes of the Bog of Allen. As a child, we enjoyed our summers footing turf and stacking for drying. Seems like a lifetime ago. Ethically, I wouldn't harvest or purchase turf today.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

mgn wrote: »
    Well i haven't cut turf in years but with all these new taxes on oil and coal coming in to make Leo look good in Europe,It won't be long before i start cutting again.

So long as you do it by human labour and not some turf sausage machine, i’d Congratulate you.

IK09 wrote: »
    We had a machine for cutting turf when we were younger. His name was John and he was a beast of a man.

Ours was called Tommy Mellotte supplemented by my father as secondary cutter and my brother and I as spreaders at Easter. Turning a month later then footing at Whit. I must secure the slean before the house is sold.

cgcsb wrote: »
    Burning turf is illegal in Dublin.

It’s only the marketing, distribution and sale of smoky products which is banned not their use for burning!

• Advertisement

Back on topic, my grandmother's cottage was located on the fringes of the Bog of Allen. As a child, we enjoyed our summers footing turf and stacking for drying. Seems like a lifetime ago. Ethically, I wouldn't harvest or purchase turf today.

This is the crux of the matter. I have always had access to turf but, likewise , won't cut nor burn it now, for ethical reasons. Having seen the impact on the flora and fauna locally over the decades, I can't justify it any more. It's laughable that some people are boycotting products with Palm Oil, because of it's impact on bio diversity abroad, but will try to justify destroying what is a rare environment here at home for cheap fuel.

Marcusm wrote: »
    It’s only the marketing, distribution and sale of smoky products which is banned not their use for burning!
    And, believe it or not, Bord Na Mona Peat Briguettes are classed as smokeless fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Mississippi.

Are you still bringing home the turf?[/quote]

Brought them down this evening.
    240 bags , bog and cutting €190.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Are you still bringing home the turf?

Brought them down this evening.
    240 bags , bog and cutting €190.[/QUOTE]

You won't get any fuel cheaper than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Mississippi.

Definitely not, a trailer of logs and about €350 of kerosene with them heats my 1800 Sq foot house for the year

"My" fuel this winter will if all goes well, cost under E150. I am very careful needfully. Cost matters to many of us. the difference between any comfort in winter and being constantly cold. turf it is .

Definitely not, a trailer of logs and about €350 of kerosene with them heats my 1800 Sq foot house for the year

if i had logs i would burn logs! the nearest I will get is some broken old fence posts.. oh and some dried seaweed....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

steves2 wrote: »
    My family use turf from my fathers bog, he can still cut it but only a matter of time before it's stopped.

The smell of a turf fire is something from my childhood and even adulthood that I'll always love but God I'm glad I'll never have to empty out a fire in my house (no chimney, gas boiler).

I think it should be consigned to the past, our ancestors used to go around on donkey and cart but we gave that up didn't we?

Even just to protect the bogs and the wildlife. It doesn't have to be doom and gloom, theres good reasons to do it and should be supports to help reluctants to switch over.

I can't understand this TBH.

It's been done for centuries and the Bogs and wildlife are all still there; it's a natural and cheap way of obtaining fuel for the winter months.

I'm no fan of the bogs by any means having been worked to the bone in them as a kid but I think it's sad that there are now diktats prohibiting something which is so natural.

47% of peatlands in Ireland have already been destroyed by peat extraction

Cut away, but surely if we keep going it'll all be gone sooner or later?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Yes and most of it by bord na mona making brikkets for people in towns and cities to burn. They have taken the top of the big for a few feet but left all the good turf behind. If they had managed there part properly there would be a lot more left

• Advertisement

over how many hundreds and more of years?

over how many hundreds and more of years?

I don't know... but what I'm saying is it's finite. We used to have forests in Ireland, they didn't come down overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

This is starting to sound vaguely like climate change denial.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Ush1 wrote: »

Its heresy I tell you - heresy! Hang them all... arrrghhhh*

*runs off naked down to the bog with a slean to kill the unbelievers!

Meanwhile in our capital city - the current topic of interest is & wait for it ...

CocaCola Slushies and how far I need to drive to get one!

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057997290/1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

People where cutting turf in the country (this is a country issue after all) many many years before humanity started pumping all kinds of **** into the atmosphere on an concentrated industrial scale.

who by? Not me. My life is pared .... the folk who heat by oil and coal do damage. we all do damage. Turf has always been the poorer folk's fuel .

I don't know... but what I'm saying is it's finite. We used to have forests in Ireland, they didn't come down overnight.

and are being replanted.

and are being replanted.

They're not really, we have the lowest tree coverage in the EU

https://www.thejournal.ie/ireland-tree-planting-3862740-Feb2018/

They're not really, we have the lowest tree coverage in the EU

https://www.thejournal.ie/ireland-tree-planting-3862740-Feb2018/

And trees are not the answer. The first couple of feet of an uncut bog is a unique habitat containing flora and fauna not found on cut bogs nor amongst trees. It's the constant whittling away at bogs that has reduced it to the poor state it's in. Yes, Bord Na Mona are the biggest culprits but individuals have for centuries been cropping bogs into near extinction. And all in the name of cheap fuel. Once a necessity but no longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭jem

By any chance is the amount of peat for grow bags etc that is being shipped out of the country every day and also being sold so the nice people in nice houses can have their nice flowers doing more damage to the bogs than locals cuting turf for the fire.
    Somehow I would sugest the former is far more damaging than the latter

Advertisement