Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Covid 19 Part XX-26,644 in ROI (1,772 deaths) 6,064 in NI (556 deaths) (08/08)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Yes, that confused me too. I thought they were mandatory already but without legislation.
    What is there actually "legislation" for though, in relation to any of the restrictions? A lot of it seems to be requests and advisories..

• Registered Users Posts: 85,006 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Galadriel wrote: »
    I have stayed in two hotels recently and you could only get food with your meal, the same as the rest of the bars currently open.

I would expect food with any meal :p do you mean alcohol

I think some have been more laxed

• Registered Users Posts: 12 SummerTime14

Galadriel wrote: »
    I have stayed in two hotels recently and you could only get food with your meal, the same as the rest of the bars currently open.

I certainly hope you got food with your meal :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭prunudo

The best way for shops to police mandatory face coverings is to offer 10% discount to all wearers. Be quick enough to get people to be compliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭Pentecost

I'm struggling to understand what they are going to do if, most likely when, there are further outbreaks when schools are open? Why will the risks be lower then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Pentecost wrote: »
    I'm struggling to understand what they are going to do if, most likely when, there are further outbreaks when schools are open? Why will the risks be lower then?

They well not be...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,742 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    NPHET running the country again

Government didn't have the balls to go against them

This shıte.
    It also makes me laugh when lads post hashtag notmygovernment and "It's like a police state".

You lads wouldn't know what a police state was if it bit you on the balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

fritzelly wrote: »
    Masks mandatory in shops from Monday

About fcuking time

This Government couldn't be more "shure it'll be grand" if it was dressed as a leprechaun, drinking Guinness in a big field

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

I thought masks were already mandatory in shops? I must admit when I went into my local shops that are small, rural shops, I was dipping in to get some bits and back out again, I was less than 5 minutes and I kept moving and I didn't put on a mask. When it comes to the local shop where I'm only dipping in and out, I don't see a reason or a need to where a mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,433 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

owlbethere wrote: »
    I thought masks were already mandatory in shops? I must admit when I went into my local shops that are small, rural shops, I was dipping in to get some bits and back out again, I was less than 5 minutes and I kept moving and I didn't put on a mask. When it comes to the local shop where I'm only dipping in and out, I don't see a reason or a need to where a mask.

Makes no odds. You're going in nonetheless .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Big time

There's more people moaning on and offline about "but the pubs!1!" than there is about how Schools can safely return

Nation of alcos. Always have and will be

You know it’s a lot cheaper to buy alcohol outside of pubs, in supermarkets etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Cause you dont breathe, sneeze, cough, speak or sing in those 5 mins?

What are you basing this on though ?

Chickenlittleitis

MOR316 wrote: »
    "We are encouraging people to meet outside"
    "This virus thrives when people meet"

Good God :D:D:D

It does though :confused:

A good few people I know are only meeting others outdoors

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

schmoo2k wrote: »
    They well not be...

Nobody knows, can only guess. I'm guessing increased cases, with my Boards epidemiology degree, I don't believe that opening schools will not result in some extra cases, as with opening anything else.

I'm disappointed that we are playing it so more carefully than other EU countries, I hope that we aren't just 'slowing' down inevitable transmission as some folks suggest. I had hoped the curve was sufficiently flattened to take some chances once tracing kept things under control.

Disappointed that with 5m people in the country only 1.5 million downloaded the app though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,632 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

They’re after confusing everyone now, this is a shambles

I know what you mean, but to be honest every little shop is local to someone and if everyone takes that attitude we will not get the benefits that come with collective compliance. Little lapses mount up and they're all avoidable.

schools aren't opening for 3 weeks

Ah sure the virus will probably be gone by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭grind gremlin

Nobody knows, can only guess. I'm guessing increased cases, with my Boards epidemiology degree, I don't believe that opening schools will not result in some extra cases, as with opening anything else.

I'm disappointed that we are playing it so more carefully than other EU countries, I hope that we aren't just 'slowing' down inevitable transmission as some folks suggest. I had hoped the curve was sufficiently flattened to take some chances once tracing kept things under control.

Disappointed that with 5m people in the country only 1.5 million downloaded the app though.

We are playing it like this because our health system is a shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

'We're all in this together' gets a bit tired when certain decisions are taken that don't have much credibility attached.
    Yes, I'm still complaining about pub/restaurants closing at 11pm rather than maybe 12. Loada bollix!

• Advertisement

Are SF (or any of the opposition parties) calling for things to be opened up quicker?

When your enemy(rival) is making a mockery of themselves, best not to interrupt.

It would make the headlines around the world.

Diageo should refuse to supply the Dail Bar until all pubs are reopened.

Arghus wrote: »
    There seems to be a lot of shock and bewilderment at today's announcement, which I don't really understand. Surely it was fairly signposted that pubs reopening was unlikely to go ahead.

A huge amount of people are completely in denial about this situation, including the sugarcoaters in this thread

Sticking your fingers in your ears and going "la! la! la!" is the behavior of a child

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭Pentecost

If they insist schools have to be the priority then how can any of the current restrictions be lifted while the schools are open? It doesn't make sense to me, genuinely, unless the plan is to keep things shut until next summer but they can't or won't say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

The government advisory was to wear masks two weeks ago while they drafted up the legal stuff, that normally takes a few weeks the same as masks on all public transport it’s was only advised at first till it became legal.
    So for this Monday the 10th the wearing of masks is legally enforceable in all shop and shopping centres .
    So that means if you are in shop for 5 minutes or 5 hours a mask has to be worn and like the public transport I am sure they will be doing spot checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I personally am happy that we live in a country where there hasn't been utter recklessness with people's lives. A lot of people seem to hold Sweden up as some paragon of how they got on with it. Yet they have thousands more deaths than their Scandinavian neighbours while they will face a similar economic downturn to most of Europe. So what exactly was all that for? Literally to the detriment of thousands of lives.

Meanwhile the very countries that opened pubs in May and invited Tourists in en masse (Spain and Greece) are having a serious uptick in inflections.

Ultimately none of us are experts in epidemiology and we are all spoofers. Even our elected government are spoofers. None of us have any right to stamp on the opinions of people who have devoted years of their lives to epidemiology.

prunudo wrote: »
    The best way for shops to police mandatory face coverings is to offer 10% discount to all wearers. Be quick enough to get people to be compliant.

That's a great idea actually

More savvy businesses will go 20% and get some positive free PR on Socail Media, local press etc

I can see this happening with businesses who really need people back in their doors and who already had strong enough margins that they can take a 10-20% hit

• Registered Users Posts: 8,505 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Gibraltar, Monaco and San Marino being on and off of green lists shows what clowns are running this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

harr wrote: »
    The government advisory was to wear masks two weeks ago while they drafted up the legal stuff, that normally takes a few weeks the same as masks on all public transport it’s was only advised at first till it became legal.
    So for this Monday the 10th the wearing of masks is legally enforceable in all shop and shopping centres .
    So that means if you are in shop for 5 minutes or 5 hours a mask has to be worn and like the public transport I am sure they will be doing spot checks.

Who exactly is going to police this? Probably an increased Garda presence at first with some ridiculous operation name stamped on it but then what after that?

• Advertisement

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    That's a great idea actually

More savvy businesses will go 20% and get some positive free PR on Socail Media, local press etc

I can see this happening with businesses who really need people back in their doors and who already had strong enough margins that they can take a 10-20% hit

Not many businesses have 10 to 20% margins that they can play with

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement