Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A socially acceptable form of hypocrisy?

• 23-07-2019 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭

Being hypocritical has a negative connotation close to 100% of the time. But what about a father who doesn't like his daughter going out with boys but applauds his son for seeing lots of girls. I think this is a common enough occurrence (I'm not a father, but this would definitely be my attitude if I was). Is this not acceptable?

And if this offends any female (or males for that matter), do not fret, I think it's a hypocrisy that is borne out of love; as the father believes no man is good enough for his daughter but any girl is good enough for his son.

Would you agree? If not, are there any acceptable forms of hypocrisy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Personally I don't agree, and I find the whole "parents being overly involved in their teenage childrens' choice of date" thing extremely disturbing, regardless of gender.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I have a son and daughter and I have to be honest I have zero interest in their sex life once they are happy. I'm a sex positive parent, I see sex as a good and healthy thing so I'm quite happy to have my daughter's various partners stay over the years. Same for her brother when he's at that age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

The way I look at hypocrisy is that everybody is a hypocrite. EVERYBODY. It’s unavoidable in life imo. Not really what the thread is about but I am an anarchist who wants to see the world burn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

eviltwin wrote: »
    I have a son and daughter and I have to be honest I have zero interest in their sex life once they are happy. I'm a sex positive parent, I see sex as a good and healthy thing so I'm quite happy to have my daughter's various partners stay over the years. Same for her brother when he's at that age.
    Reading this, as a parent myself, and how different my views are to yours, I now realise that I am in fact a prude.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,651 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

bfa1509 wrote: »
    Being hypocritical has a negative connotation close to 100% of the time. But what about a father who doesn't like his daughter going out with boys but applauds his son for seeing lots of girls. I think this is a common enough occurrence (I'm not a father, but this would definitely be my attitude if I was). Is this not acceptable?

And if this offends any female (or males for that matter), do not fret, I think it's a hypocrisy that is borne out of love; as the father believes no man is good enough for his daughter but any girl is good enough for his son.

It’s not a hypocrisy that’s borne out of love, it’s a hypocrisy that’s borne out of experience, and I wouldn’t want my son putting it about any more than I wouldn’t find it acceptable if my daughter were putting it about.

That being said, there are plenty of acceptable forms of hypocrisy and what often appears to be hypocrisy but isn’t, because the circumstances are completely different, like thinking that the circumstances of a son putting it about are the same circumstances as a daughter putting it about - they’re completely different circumstances which can have potentially different outcomes.

• Advertisement

FFred wrote: »
    Reading this, as a parent myself, and how different my views are to yours, I now realise that I am in fact a prude.

Not too late to change

Not too late to change
    Who said I wanted to change? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,018 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its only five minutes since a girl getting pregnant was disaster for her and shame for the whole family, whereas a boy was entitled to be a bit of a lad and the girls he got pregnant were no better than they should be and certainly not marriage material. It takes a while for these notions to fade.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Realtai

Autecher wrote: »
    The way I look at hypocrisy is that everybody is a hypocrite. EVERYBODY. It’s unavoidable in life imo.

I agree, it's part of the human condition

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭skallywag

(I'm not a father, but this would definitely be my attitude if I was)

Are you an adult yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,313 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I'm just imagining being asked for an opinion on a friends outfit. If my honest answer was "it looks cheap, ill-fitting and frumpy" I'd be a c**t, so I think I'll stick with being a hypocrite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

FFred wrote: »
    No you're not. Not being super liberated when it comes to sexual behaviour doesn't automatically mean being a prude - there's a spectrum between the two.

Personally I don't agree, and I find the whole "parents being overly involved in their teenage childrens' choice of date" thing extremely disturbing, regardless of gender.
    It's hardly "extremely disturbing". Of course a parent will be concerned about who their teenage children (minors still) are going out with.

As for what the OP describes, I can't stand it - but it's a view a lot of people can't help having.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Daughters should be locked away from society until they are old enough to bear children and strengthen our alliance with France.

No you're not. Not being super liberated when it comes to sexual behaviour doesn't automatically mean being a prude - there's a spectrum between the two.
    When it comes to my own sexual behaviour, I would make Ron Jeremy blush :pac:

But, when it comes to my children and their future sexual behaviour then I’m proud to be a prude :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

A lock that can be opened by many keys is a bad lock

A key that can open many locks is a good key

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I dont think this kind of hypocrisy is bad. Its from a good place etc of being protective.

I mean you would prob help your daughter in more ways sometimes than you do your son.

You might expect more from your son in certain ways too.

Shrug.

And i mean if your daughter did see a lot of guys you wouldn't disown her etc just maybe worry about her.

Also my brain REALLY wanted to spell hypocrisy ..hypocrazy. :) True story.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Jimbob1977 wrote: »

Love that analogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

A few people read into my OP as it being a case of a father who interferes with or displays an interest in their children's sex/relationship lives (which is fine, it wasn't clear that this wasn't the case). But I was thinking more along the lines of it being an attitude that the father has (some hide it better than others)

Let's say for instance if I had a 16 year old daughter who brought a boy home, I might smile and shake his hand (but I would squeeze it very hard and in my head I would likely be thinking something like "You little pr*ck, you better hope we don't cross paths in a dark alleyway"

But if I had a 16 year old son and he brought home a girl, I would probably be delighted for him and be very happy. (this sounds terrible as I am typing, but it's true)

People can say this is an archaic way of thinking but I would say it's the attitude of most fathers! Or maybe I am just old fashioned...

Jimbob1977 wrote: »

A key that can open many locks is massively dodgy for security.
    Love that analogy.
    You love an analogy that makes uncontrolled shagging around by men out to be a positive?

• Advertisement

A few people read into my OP as it being a case of a father who interferes with or displays an interest in their children's sex/relationship lives (which is fine, it wasn't clear that this wasn't the case). But I was thinking more along the lines of it being an attitude that the father has (some hide it better than others)

Let's say for instance if I had a 16 year old daughter who brought a boy home, I might smile and shake his hand (but I would squeeze it very hard and in my head I would likely be thinking something like "You little pr*ck, you better hope we don't cross paths in a dark alleyway"

But if I had a 16 year old son and he brought home a girl, I would probably be delighted for him and be very happy. (this sounds terrible as I am typing, but it's true)

People can say this is an archaic way of thinking but I would say it's the attitude of most fathers! Or maybe I am just old fashioned...

Assuming your daughter is straight I'm sure you don't want her to settle down with the first man she is sexually active with. Sex is a normal part of our development and women are just as sexual as men

As her parent you need to raise her to be sexually assertive and not feel shame over normal feelings. Same goes for your sons.

They will do it anyway, it's better for them that they know they can be open with you regarding any worries or questions they may have.

Given the difference in take-up when it comes to sexual services, I would say men overall are built to be more sexual than women overall.

I can understand you being protective of your daughter and nothing wrong with being delighted for your son bringing home a girl. So I get it to an extent. Males and females are different.

But thoughts of violence towards your daughter's boyfriend - that's completely irrational. And guys who think it's great if their sons are riding around like mad - idiocy. Especially if those same men want to lock their daughters up. No bother if it's other people's daughters being ridden by their sons though.

Where’s the hypocrisy though?

In one circumstance you’re speaking of how you treat your daughter (or rather your daughters boyfriends), and in the other circumstance, you’re speaking of how you treat your son (no mention of how you’d view his girlfriends?).

I get where you’re coming from, but you’re trying to equate two different circumstances as though they’re the same. They very clearly aren’t the same, and so it stands to reason your attitude in both circumstances is also completely different.

It’s just really not an example of hypocrisy at all tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

It's time you took the camera out of the bookshelf

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I grew up in a different country so the whole staying overnight thing was around when I was young. One of my friends moved in her boyfriends since she was 15 or 16. Her mother even ended doing their washing every so often. Then her brother started having his girlfriend over and the house was quite crowded.

I'm not that liberal, I don't mind kids bringing home gf or bf (I have boy and a girl) but I draw the line at doing their laundry.

meeeeh wrote: »
    I grew up in a different country so the whole staying overnight thing was around when I was young. One of my friends moved in her boyfriends since she was 15 or 16. Her mother even ended doing their washing every so often. Then her brother started having his girlfriend over and the house was quite crowded.

I'm not that liberal, I don't mind kids bringing home gf or bf (I have boy and a girl) but I draw the line at doing their laundry.

Was it common where you’re from though? I’m genuinely curious because it happened here too, but it wouldn’t have been all that common.

And yes, there was mothers doing the laundry and treating the boyfriend like a son and all! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Where’s the hypocrisy though?

In one circumstance you’re speaking of how you treat your daughter (or rather your daughters boyfriends), and in the other circumstance, you’re speaking of how you treat your son (no mention of how you’d view his girlfriends?).

I get where you’re coming from, but you’re trying to equate two different circumstances as though they’re the same. They very clearly aren’t the same, and so it stands to reason your attitude in both circumstances is also completely different.

It’s just really not an example of hypocrisy at all tbh.

I wasn't thinking of it that much. Having a strict ideology for one child and showing an ideology of complete indifference for another could be considered hypocritical

• Registered Users Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭volchitsa

It’s not a hypocrisy that’s borne out of love, it’s a hypocrisy that’s borne out of experience, and I wouldn’t want my son putting it about any more than I wouldn’t find it acceptable if my daughter were putting it about.

That being said, there are plenty of acceptable forms of hypocrisy and what often appears to be hypocrisy but isn’t, because the circumstances are completely different, like thinking that the circumstances of a son putting it about are the same circumstances as a daughter putting it about - they’re completely different circumstances which can have potentially different outcomes.

Eh, no. The potential consequences are exactly the same.

volchitsa wrote: »
    Eh, no. The potential consequences are exactly the same.

You’re perfectly entitled to view the potential consequences as the same from your perspective, that’s fine, I have no issue with that. From my perspective though, males cannot become pregnant as a result of sexual intercourse, females can. That’s why I suggested that the potential consequences are not the same, and that’s only one example of where the potential consequences aren’t the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

The world is hypocritical so its normal. The consequences of sex is still worse for women, having unplanned babies. I have a son and worry about it much less then if I had a daughter. Don't get me wrong I don't not worry but just less.

So I am also a complete hypocrite. I say it should be the same for women and men but its not really

Advertisement